U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
 
25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
Reputation: 23049

Advertisements

[quote=Indentured Servant;14192715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post


My daugther has been placed in the "gifted" class at her elementary school. We live in majority white area and my daughter did not watch much TV (We have only one) when she did watch tv it was Dora the Explorer or educational.
So where did the deprogramming come in. Was she exposed to some degrading indoctrination about being black? So you wanted her to be exposed to positive Latino images? I'm still wondering why you had to deprogram your child? What was the programming you had to override?
Where did this evil programming come from?

 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don’t have any control over whites. I have no white kids. My sphere of influence is black children in my family. Am I treating the symptoms…..of course…..as any responsible caring person will that did not have the ability to forward a cure.

If you don’t like yourself because your skin is dark, you are not going to like yourself until you learn to appreciate and respect dark skin. Also, it’s not JUST about color or colour as you Europeans like to say. It’s the whole package of being indigenous African in features, which are generally looked down upon.

If I had to choose between a more unified world and a more successful black population that does not live in poverty and violence……I would choose the latter every time. Look…..we moved to white communities…..and whites moved out. We have been the ones attempting to unify and integrate but we only get resistance and rationalizations about why they choose not to live around many of us. Please….we are not the ones preventing unity.
I guess the basic disagreement lies in the focus on colour (or color as you yanks like to call it. ). I don't understand why there's a problem with simply teaching and instilling pride, self worth and self respect without focusing on the colour of ones skin. I've certainly never been told I should be proud to be white or take pride in my sun burns.

You say "If you don’t like yourself because your skin is dark, you are not going to like yourself until you learn to appreciate and respect dark skin.", and I agree with both respect and appreciation, to a point. However, I think it's far more important to respect yourself, and appreciate your abilities. If my kids were held down because of their (lack of) colour, I'd teach them to raise above it.

I also don't think that the sole reason there's black poverty and violence is white people. I'm in no way denying it's (especially historically) major contributing factor, but it's not the sole reason.

As for a more unified world or a more successful black population, I think they're more often than not, one and the same. It'll be hard to come by one without the other, at least in the US, as long as blacks are a minority.

And as generalizing as many whites can be about blacks, some of your posts seem rather generalizing about whites.

Again, I don't disagree with there being a massive problem, one that needs, probably, some forced fixes. I simply don't think a more segregated polarized environment is the way to do it, and I think something like afro-centric schools will do exactly that.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
[quote=bulldogdad;14192814]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

So where did the deprogramming come in. Was she exposed to some degrading indoctrination about being black? So you wanted her to be exposed to positive Latino images? I'm still wondering why you had to deprogram your child? What was the programming you had to override?
Where did this evil programming come from?
She probably was paying casual attention to the news, which my wife and I watch. However, we recieve a lot of images in daily life that we process subconciously. When we go to the predominately black areas, its poorer and more run down. When we go into the white areas.....they are nicer...things like that. In her readings....they often have picture. My daughter once told us that she would look better if If she were white
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I guess the basic disagreement lies in the focus on colour (or color as you yanks like to call it. ). I don't understand why there's a problem with simply teaching and instilling pride, self worth and self respect without focusing on the colour of ones skin. I've certainly never been told I should be proud to be white or take pride in my sun burns.

You say "If you don’t like yourself because your skin is dark, you are not going to like yourself until you learn to appreciate and respect dark skin.", and I agree with both respect and appreciation, to a point. However, I think it's far more important to respect yourself, and appreciate your abilities. If my kids were held down because of their (lack of) colour, I'd teach them to raise above it.

I also don't think that the sole reason there's black poverty and violence is white people. I'm in no way denying it's (especially historically) major contributing factor, but it's not the sole reason.

As for a more unified world or a more successful black population, I think they're more often than not, one and the same. It'll be hard to come by one without the other, at least in the US, as long as blacks are a minority.

And as generalizing as many whites can be about blacks, some of your posts seem rather generalizing about whites.

Again, I don't disagree with there being a massive problem, one that needs, probably, some forced fixes. I simply don't think a more segregated polarized environment is the way to do it, and I think something like afro-centric schools will do exactly that.
Why do people suffer from anorexia? They think they are fat. They have distorted self image. You have to get them to not see themselves as fat. This is not rocket science. Anyway…..you don’t have to accept it….but if it is working for us…..that is what we are going to roll with. You really have no say in it. However, thanks for sharing.

Here black people are at the bottom of the world economically, while whites are on top, then when we find a way to undo the damage of white racism and feel better about ourselves and excel from the methodology……whites have a problem with it. If that don't beat all! No matter what we do…..whites got a problem with it….if it does not meet your approval. Well….sorry…..you all don’t actually have a very good history of having our best interest at heart...just your own!

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-15-2010 at 05:59 PM..
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
 
25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
Reputation: 23049
[quote=Indentured Servant;14192977]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post

She probably was paying casual attention to the news, which my wife and I watch. However, we recieve a lot of images in daily life that we process subconciously. When we go to the predominately black areas, its poorer and more run down. When we go into the white areas.....they are nicer...things like that. In her readings....they often have picture. My daughter once told us that she would look better if If she were white

So back to your supposition how is it that afrocentric schools are going to help? Seeing as that the Black population is 12.5% of the US population won't that cause Black students to be more segregated and isolated. Won't that give them the feeling of inferiority that they have to go to special Black only schools because they can't cut it in the society in which they live?
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
[quote=bulldogdad;14193060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post


So back to your supposition how is it that afrocentric schools are going to help? Seeing as that the Black population is 12.5% of the US population won't that cause Black students to be more segregated and isolated. Won't that give them the feeling of inferiority that they have to go to special Black only schools because they can't cut it in the society in which they live?
The evidence of performance at these schools indicates otherwise. Like I said....I am less interested in integration and unity than I am in reducing black poverty and violence.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why do people suffer from anorexia? They think they are fat. They have distorted self image. You have to get them to not see themselves as fat. This is not rocket science. Anyway…..you don’t have to accept it….but if it is working for us…..that is what we are going to roll with. You really have no say in it. However, thanks for sharing.
I'm not trying to have a say in anything , I don't think I have some birth given right to decode for you. You did however start a thread on a public forum, and I replied with what I think about the subject.

If it works, well hey, that's awesome, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I still believe that segregated schools primarily will segregate and do harm, not good.

I was thinking about it whilst making food, and it occurred to me that one of the problems might be that "blacks" talk about themselves as one unified group, like you do when you say "that's what we are going to roll with" (unless I misunderstood and you're referring to your family). There's just as much diversity amongst blacks as there is amongst whites, and I certainly don't want to identify myself with backwards ignorant white folks.

Either way, good luck with your daughter, she sounds like a good kid.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I'm not trying to have a say in anything , I don't think I have some birth given right to decode for you. You did however start a thread on a public forum, and I replied with what I think about the subject.

If it works, well hey, that's awesome, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I still believe that segregated schools primarily will segregate and do harm, not good.

I was thinking about it whilst making food, and it occurred to me that one of the problems might be that "blacks" talk about themselves as one unified group, like you do when you say "that's what we are going to roll with" (unless I misunderstood and you're referring to your family). There's just as much diversity amongst blacks as there is amongst whites, and I certainly don't want to identify myself with backwards ignorant white folks.

Either way, good luck with your daughter, she sounds like a good kid.

It certainly fits a historical pattern. Here I present this video of a terrible example of poor self image of blacks, because they are black……and you find a way to make it the fault of black people. I knew in the end…..that would be your conclusion. Classic! Are you sure you are not a Yank….lol?
 
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It certainly fits a historical pattern. Here I present this video of a terrible example of poor self image of blacks, because they are black……and you find a way to make it the fault of black people. I knew in the end…..that would be your conclusion. Classic! Are you sure you are not a Yank….lol?
Wow... How the hell did you manage to draw that conclusion?!? When the hell did I say it was the fault of black people???

If anything you're the one saying it's a black problem, I specifically said the problem was white for Christs sakes.

Quote:
I knew in the end…..that would be your conclusion. Classic!
...Yeah, I'm the one with the prejudice.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your reply there, but you have a good day.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 06:42 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviking85 View Post
wow... How the hell did you manage to draw that conclusion?!? When the hell did i say it was the fault of black people???

If anything you're the one saying it's a black problem, i specifically said the problem was white for christs sakes.


...yeah, i'm the one with the prejudice.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your reply there, but you have a good day.
quote:
Quote:
i was thinking about it whilst making food, and it occurred to me that one of the problems might be that "blacks" talk about themselves as one unified group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top