U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Bayou City
2,991 posts, read 4,468,958 times
Reputation: 2496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I was thinking about it whilst making food, and it occurred to me that one of the problems might be that "blacks" talk about themselves as one unified group, like you do when you say "that's what we are going to roll with" (unless I misunderstood and you're referring to your family). There's just as much diversity amongst blacks as there is amongst whites, and I certainly don't want to identify myself with backwards ignorant white folks.
This brings up an interesting point. Your observation of diversity in the black community is well-taken, although I think the shared experience of dealing with anti-black bias can be found among many blacks who would otherwise have little in common with one another. Middle-class blacks are used to dealing with it in corporate America, while their poorer counterparts are more likely to deal with it from the police, potential employers, even one another (black-on-black crime).

Blacks in America are probably the only group who are consistently defined in terms of their least productive members. So while there may be some degree of diversity within the black experience, the collective predisposition to having to defend against the everyday manifestations of racist indoctrination and pejorative stereotypes tends to unite.

 
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
EDIT: This is a reply to Indentured Servant

So out of everything I said, that's the thing you get stuck on?

If you disagree, go right ahead and argue against it, instead of displaying your prejudices.

My point, the only one, was that there's individuals within the "black community" as well as the "white community" that are unfavorable and not something you want to identify yourself with. That it's far more important to instill an individual sense of integrity and pride. Like I said before, change comes one person at the time.

If you want to read into that that I think racism is a "black" problem, you go right ahead and keep your mind closed and set in stone. Frankly, with the behavior you've displayed in your replies to me so far, I doubt any "white person" could debate with you and actually be listened to.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This brings up an interesting point. Your observation of diversity in the black community is well-taken, although I think the shared experience of dealing with anti-black bias can be found among many blacks who would otherwise have little in common with one another. Middle-class blacks are used to dealing with it in corporate America, while their poorer counterparts are more likely to deal with it from the police, potential employers, even one another (black-on-black crime).

Blacks in America are probably the only group who are consistently defined in terms of their least productive members. So while there may be some degree of diversity within the black experience, the collective predisposition to having to defend against the everyday manifestations of racist indoctrination and pejorative stereotypes tends to unite.
That's a very good point, and I completely agree.

Would you agree that it could be part of the solution to identify less with the lest productive members, as you called it?

I do see the problem though, a similar problem is how Muslim communities are under constant pressure to denounce the action of a few extremists, simply because they claim part in the same religion.

I'm the first to admit that "white people" is a big part of the problem here, don't get me wrong, but I'm only responsible for me and mine. Other than that I can't do much more than debate and talk with people who's... more inclined to backwards thinking.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Reputation: 18588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
You know, if you think about it.. curly haired people are always presented in a negative or crazy light...usually 'murders' in movies have crazy curly hair, (heck look at Side Show Bob).. yet I don't have self hatred for having curly hair, even though I was flat out made fun of, etc..Constantly I'm seeing flat irons, products to combat my naturally curly hair... Beautiful women have straight hair, or curly hair via curling irons, but never naturally curly hair... But. because my dad always insisted my hair was part of why I was beautiful, etc.I never hated my hair. I found it hard to work with, yes, but it never created a problem like it may have someone else with lack of family involvement.... so why is it that black people can't have the same impact within a family?

While I understand that no one was enslaved for their natural hair style, it's a similar context of societal pressure... What I'm saying is, NO MATTER HOW hard society says anything, a good family foundation can change the way a child would see themselves.
Because no matter how strongly the Black family reinforce self love within our homes they are attacked as soon as they step out into society.

I came from a very sheltered and protected background (private schools, strong family, etc) My first "real" experience with the way White people "operate" was at college. I encountered my fair share of ignorance on the part of White students who had not been exposed to the idea that Middle/Upper Class Black people exist. During the first week of classes one White female student (allegedly from a wealthy family) decided to ask me if I would be mad if she called me a "n-gger" and this was in California. There have been several other ignorant comments from White people in my lifetime.

Additionally, I also find it quite interesting that the same people who tell Black folks to "suck it up" are the same ones perpetuating the bigotry. So White people have a lot of nerve talking out of both sides of their mouths.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
 
8,663 posts, read 6,338,946 times
Reputation: 3761
I think the best term for the attitude of a lot of whites in this ere is "Obstructionist". Whatever blacks do....they always try to obstuct it. I guess I should be happy...for it is an improvement over "oppressionist"
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Acres
1,777 posts, read 4,057,339 times
Reputation: 882
The issue of race will never be solved because there are hate mongers like you. All you aim to do with your posts is instill your hatred of the white man and try to make us believe all this BS. You are ignorant to the fact that self-hatred starts at home. If your mom and dad hate each other or hate you, then guess what, it has nothing to do with race. I don't really care what further you have to say about any race issue, as it always comes back to "blacks act like they do because whites owned slaves and were racist pigs". Get over it, it happened, it's over, and now a "black man" is president. What more do you want from this country?
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:06 PM
 
177 posts, read 220,361 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The issue of race will never be solved because there are hate mongers like you. All you aim to do with your posts is instill your hatred of the white man and try to make us believe all this BS. You are ignorant to the fact that self-hatred starts at home. If your mom and dad hate each other or hate you, then guess what, it has nothing to do with race. I don't really care what further you have to say about any race issue, as it always comes back to "blacks act like they do because whites owned slaves and were racist pigs". Get over it, it happened, it's over, and now a "black man" is president. What more do you want from this country?
White people have a lot of nerve. Such arrogance, such ignorance of the facts.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:10 PM
 
1,719 posts, read 3,623,506 times
Reputation: 1251
What do our black activist types want? ...To perpetually play the victim and feel the comfortable sense of self-righteousness and belonging that comes along with such a sentiment. It is a destructive and sanctimonious tribalism that hinders the black community more than it helps it.

What do you want to bet that our black posters make at least twice what I do and I'm a white male?

There is no way to reconcile our beliefs. Because their ancestors got the shaft they cling to these ideas and emotions. A kid pointing at some doll is indicative of the opportunities available to able-bodied men and women of color? I don't think so.
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 PM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Might have something to do with the Irish being white themselves.
Irish are white? LOL
 
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,614,915 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the best term for the attitude of a lot of whites in this ere is "Obstructionist". Whatever blacks do....they always try to obstuct it. I guess I should be happy...for it is an improvement over "oppressionist"
I find this very interesting. What exactly do whites obstruct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top