U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 PM
 
8,678 posts, read 6,354,105 times
Reputation: 3783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
It is still predominately black people producing that dreck. When people think of gangster rap, they don't think of white suburban kids, they think of black thugs.
So what...the majority of people producing violent films are white. The majority of people producing porn are white. The majority of filth you see on the internet is produced by whites. Unfortunately or fortunately, we live in a capitalisic dominated society. Demand creates supply. The white population is the largest and most lucrative demographic. They make and break businesses. White youth demand for CERTAIN type of lyrics shifted artist from producing political or conscious rap to the rap that crossed over. When rap was primarily purchased by blacks.....artist did not make that much money and thus they could focus on politics, like Public Enemy and others. However, whites were not buying up those songs because they did not want to hear black politics and social struggles represented through music....they wanted to hear the violent misogonistic lyrics...at least based upon what they purchased.

Ooops...almost forgot to mention the VIOLENT VIDEO game industry. That is not produced by ghetto thugs....but rather by white suburban nerds. Yet....no condemnation of the "white culture" for its glorification of violence and rampant pornography.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-24-2010 at 12:45 PM..

 
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: New Kensington (Parnassus) ,Pa
2,424 posts, read 1,815,498 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And over 70% of it is sold to upstanding white youth. Kill the demand and you kill the supply. Its not rocket science.
Why sure more whites buy it, but its misleading because there are more whites, so naturally the figure is going to be higher. Percentage wise its probably higher for blacks.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,383 posts, read 50,647,478 times
Reputation: 60290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So are you the defense attorney claiming that white folks were not at the scene of black oppression the last 300 years and had nothing to do with the assault upon black humanity? Whats the alibi? Where were white people from the years of 1600 - 2010 when this assualt upon blacks were taking place?
They were there. They were not able to stop slavery in one TV-movie inspired swoop, but they worked at it, gave their lives for it, and chipped at it until it was no more.

I know you have to know who John Brown was, but what about Josiah Wedgwood? William Wilburforce? Angelina and Sarah Grimke? Lydia Maria Childs? William Lloyd Garrison? Benjamin Lundy? Ralph Waldo Emerson? Bronson Alcott?

Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony, and Lucretia Mott were anti-slavery before they turned their focus on women's rights, and had to sit in the back at abolitionist meetings because they were women.

These are some of the famous names. There were countless abolitionists who names we will never know who worked for the end of slavery and sometimes died for it. Remember Bleeding Kansas? Remember all the white people along the route of the Underground Railroad who took the risk of sheltering and moving runaways? How many white people went to jail for not obeying the Fugitive Slave Act?

Maybe not enough white folks did more than talk about the evils of slavery, but thousands and probably tens of thousands did. You do their courage a disservice to not acknowledge that they existed and had an impact upon the end of slavery.

This country was being torn apart by the issue of slavery long before the Civil War. The story of a pro-slavery Congressman beating an anti-slavery Congressman senseless on the floor of the Senate is well known. Lesser known are all the violence and strife that was happening in small towns all over. There's a historical church near where I grew up in north Jersey, which was a pro-slave state in government. In the 1850's, the church pastor actually quit because his congregation was so divided over slavery that it was becoming impossible to hold church services.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-24-2010 at 01:18 PM..
 
Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: New Kensington (Parnassus) ,Pa
2,424 posts, read 1,815,498 times
Reputation: 603
Since we are basing everything on the sins of our fathers, then I should be exonerated because my GG grandfather fought at Gettysburg on the side of the north.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by indentured servant View Post
so what...the majority of people producing violent films are white.
please provide proof of that claim.

the majority of people producing porn are white.
please provide proof of that claim.

the majority of filth you see on the internet is produced by whites.
please provide proof of that claim.

unfortunately or fortunately, we live in a capitalisic dominated society. Demand creates supply.

The white population is the largest and most lucrative demographic.
please provide proof of that claim.

they make and break businesses. White youth demand for certain type of lyrics shifted artist from producing political or conscious rap to the rap that crossed over.
please provide proof of that claim.

when rap was primarily purchased by blacks.....artist did not make that much money and thus they could focus on politics, like public enemy and others. However, whites were not buying up those songs because they did not want to hear black politics and social struggles represented through music....they wanted to hear the violent misogonistic lyrics...at least based upon what they purchased.
please provide proof of that claim.

ooops...almost forgot to mention the violent video game industry. That is not produced by ghetto thugs....but rather by white suburban nerds.
please provide proof of that claim.

yet....no condemnation of the "white culture" for its glorification of violence and rampant pornography.
please provide proof of that claim.
epic fail.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,113,402 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
epic fail.
Who controls the media? Besides Oprah can you really name anyone else of color that can make or break a multi-million film? As far as rap is concerned there are some movers and shakers i.e puffy combs, dupri and a few other labels but they only put out what the record companies will sale.......no positive raps, no religous raps, no political raps no raps that will actually be worth listening to to the average positve person....oops unless it is a rap about fast food.

As ugly as the pollster put it sadly most of it is true. There are more and more white kids listening to gangster rap than before. I overstand the arguement regarding percentages but check this out, during the seventies would you say that the majority of white kids listened to rock or motown? soul music? how about funk? Because of the media young suburban whites are tuning into the "hood music" b/c the media glorifies it.
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,292 posts, read 10,113,402 times
Reputation: 3535
One more point, if blacks had more control of the media don't you think that there would be more positive role models of color on t.v? If Blacks REALLY had any real power do you think that that abomination BET would still be on the air?
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
One more point, if blacks had more control of the media don't you think that there would be more positive role models of color on t.v? If Blacks REALLY had any real power do you think that that abomination BET would still be on the air?
So now blacks want CONTROL of the media? You mean participation isn't enough?

Seems to me that there are a LOT of blacks, portraying VERY positive and good things about blacks, on TV - and have been for a long time (I'm thinking The Cosby Show for instance).

Also, if blacks comprise 13% of the United States' population, wouldn't equality mean that 13% of the people on TV would be black? And aren't at least 13% black now?
 
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Rolling hills,TN
15 posts, read 58,634 times
Reputation: 16
I don't feel particularly moved by demonstrations of polarization,however, it's because I'm Irish-Scotch-German-Cherokee-Creek-with-a-dab-of-something- else. I don't feel that my agenda is being represented in the black-white American experience.
KINDA LIGHT BROWN POWER!!!
 
Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: New Kensington (Parnassus) ,Pa
2,424 posts, read 1,815,498 times
Reputation: 603
I have no problem with Afrocentric schools, I understand the need to keep young children away from the destructive influences of the underclass black community. I just hope they don't teach that White conspiracy crap like black collage professes do and all White people are evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top