U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,474,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That's a very good point, and I completely agree.

Would you agree that it could be part of the solution to identify less with the lest productive members, as you called it?

I do see the problem though, a similar problem is how Muslim communities are under constant pressure to denounce the action of a few extremists, simply because they claim part in the same religion.

I'm the first to admit that "white people" is a big part of the problem here, don't get me wrong, but I'm only responsible for me and mine. Other than that I can't do much more than debate and talk with people who's... more inclined to backwards thinking.
I most certainly would, but this social distancing should merely reflect the productive individual's normal way of life, as opposed to some sort of specific mandate on this individual's part to give a message of reassurance to non-blacks that they are indeed "one of the good ones." People who would prejudge me in terms of their negative preconceptions about blacks in general are just as bad as those blacks who through their antisocial behavior continue to lend a degree of validity to the very preconceptions formed by those who prejudge.

A muslim who lives a life of peace should no more be held accountable for the actions of a muslim terrorist than a fair-minded white person should be for a klan member than a law-abiding black person should be for a common street thug. Each of our lives should be defined by the moral high ground not because we want to convince others that we're not like "those people", but because it is who we are and what we feel is right. At the same time, we must be careful not to use our indignation at behavior we happen to find objectionable by a member of a certain group as a justification for disdain of the entire group, a disdain that too often extends to those who had nothing to do with whatever aroused the indignation in the first place.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM

8,678 posts, read 6,354,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
The issue of race will never be solved because there are hate mongers like you. All you aim to do with your posts is instill your hatred of the white man and try to make us believe all this BS. You are ignorant to the fact that self-hatred starts at home. If your mom and dad hate each other or hate you, then guess what, it has nothing to do with race. I don't really care what further you have to say about any race issue, as it always comes back to "blacks act like they do because whites owned slaves and were racist pigs". Get over it, it happened, it's over, and now a "black man" is president. What more do you want from this country?
Working definition of "Hate Monger" as used here:

1.One who says truths that people HATE to hear....creating division between the righteous and the unrightous.

2. Truth speaker.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,647,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I most certainly would, but this social distancing should merely reflect the productive individual's normal way of life, as opposed to some sort of specific mandate on this individual's part to give a message of reassurance to non-blacks that they are indeed "one of the good ones." People who would prejudge me in terms of their negative preconceptions about blacks in general are just as bad as those blacks who through their antisocial behavior continue to lend a degree of validity to the very preconceptions formed by those who prejudge.

A muslim who lives a life of peace should no more be held accountable for the actions of a muslim terrorist than a fair-minded white person should be for a klan member than a law-abiding black person should be for a common street thug. Each of our lives should be defined by the moral high ground not because we want to convince others that we're not like "those people", but because it is who we are and what we feel is right. At the same time, we must be careful not to use our indignation at behavior we happen to find objectionable by a member of a certain group as a justification for disdain of the entire group, a disdain that too often extends to those who had nothing to do with whatever aroused the indignation in the first place.
I agree 100% with all of that, if it didn't come off that way, I apologize and blame my broken English.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I find this very interesting. What exactly do whites obstruct?
Truth!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:29 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,647,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Truth!
How so? And what truth?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,635,385 times
Quote:
Truth!
You can't do better than that? Give an example. Otherwise, this entire thread that you started is bunk.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
You can't do better than that? Give an example. Otherwise, this entire thread that you started is bunk.
If you are averse to truth....what good will a truthful example do? Moreover, why would the entire thread be debunked, assuming that you found one point I made debunked? Is it that you want to debunk the entire thread, in particular what is evidenced in those innocent and honest children, but can't on its merits? So you debunk this and claim that since I was wrong about this that is wrong too?

When some white folks are confronted with evidence that past and present racism has a negative impact upon black lives....it undercuts so much of your beliefs that you refuse the epipheny. You have too much invested in your ignorance and your world views and what you learned from your parents. Your beliefs are like your "Property" that you defend with all against those who attempt to usurp it.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,627,428 times
Not everybody allows childhood experiences to shape or hinder their adult life. I was raised a country boy and a Christian. I now live in the city and am an atheist-leaning agnostic. And for every media or societal message about white being "better" I have been exposed to liberal white guilt about how I should be ashamed of my race for stuff that happened hundreds of years ago and that I had nothing to do with.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,635,385 times
Quote:
If you are averse to truth....what good with a truthful example do? Moreover, why would the entire thread be debunked, assuming that you found one point I made debunked? Is it that you want to debunk the entire thread, in particular what is evidenced in those innocent and honest children?

When some white folks are confrunted with evidence that past and racism has a negative impact upon black lives....it undercuts so much of your beliefs that you refuse the epipheny. You have too much invested in your ignorance and your world views and what you learned from your parents. Your beliefs are like your "Property" that you defend with all against those who attempt to usurp it.
You don't know me. BTW...that word should read "adverse". I won't continue to correct you grammar though.

Anyway, what "truth" do I defend? What have I ever posted that would have you make a claim against me in the manner? You sound like an angry, angry person.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:56 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,627,428 times
Quote:
You don't know me. BTW...that word should read "adverse". I won't continue to correct you grammar though.

Anyway, what "truth" do I defend? What have I ever posted that would have you make a claim against me in the manner? You sound like an angry, angry person.
Actually dude..."averse" is a word. Not to be a grammar nazi or anything.

Yes, the angry black man is socially acceptable and even encouraged. An angry white man....God forbid...where are the P.C. police!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates