Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,612,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
This has been unproven through actual example - in US forces where female soldiers "inadvertently" ended up in combat situations and in Israel where women do serve in combat positions. In fairness, even in Israel, although women train in most combat positions, they rarely are assigned to "front line" combat. The reason: fears that female soldiers would be subject to different potential abuses than most male soldiers if taken as POWs - namely, rape.
Obviously you don't realize that torturing male prisoners through rape has been occurring since warfare started. Its about power and control not about sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,346,669 times
Only if they can live up the the exact same physical standards as their male counterparts.

Otherwise, they have no business being on the frontline, just like any man who can't cut the mustard.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Only if they can live up the the exact same physical standards as their male counterparts.

Otherwise, they have no business being on the front line, just like any man who can't cut the mustard.
Agreed.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,561,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
And it wouldn't be degrading for a male POW to be raped by male captors? Sorry, I'm thinking outside the box.
I hope you intended that pun Yes, I imagine it would be degrading. However, the IDF states that as the reason - the information is available from various online sources through simple Google searches. The argument about how well citizens would tolerate female loss of life vs male is not the driving force for the IDF like it might be here in the US. It plays a role, but it's not primary. End disclaimer string

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Obviously you don't realize that torturing male prisoners through rape has been occurring since warfare started. Its about power and control not about sex.
Again - not my opinion - just reporting reasons given by IDF - take it up with them. Let's try to avoid personal attacks, as per TOS, eh? I realize all sorts of things, TYVM

Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I hope you intended that pun Yes, I imagine it would be degrading. However, the IDF states that as the reason - the information is available from various online sources through simple Google searches. The argument about how well citizens would tolerate female loss of life vs male is not the driving force for the IDF like it might be here in the US. It plays a role, but it's not primary. End disclaimer string
I can guarantee it would drive citizens to put an end to the war very quickly through the annihilation of our enemies. Not these P.C. driven wars we have in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Again - not my opinion - just reporting reasons given by IDF - take it up with them. Let's try to avoid personal attacks, as per TOS, eh? I realize all sorts of things, TYVM
No attack intended.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:03 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,781,888 times
Actually, to get back to the topic.

I think it would be a good idea to specifically train female volunteers right now to form the resistance on the home front, in the event we are successfully invaded and occupied. The Resistance consists largely of things like espionage, intel, sabotage, communications, mostly things that are brain-power activities, which women would be able to do regardless of their physical fitness. Invading armies would consist almost entirely of men, and women have proven that when they get organized, men have no clue what they are up to or what kinds of strategies they can cook up.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I think it would be a good idea to specifically train female volunteers right now to form the resistance on the home front, in the event we are successfully invaded and occupied. The Resistance consists largely of things like espionage, intel, sabotage, communications, mostly things that are brain-power activities, which women would be able to do regardless of their physical fitness. Invading armies would consist almost entirely of men, and women have proven that when they get organized, men have no clue what they are up to or what kinds of strategies they can cook up.
Didn't see the thread getting off topic but..

Guessing you're being facetious or baiting but it's still an interesting point. Currently, the US intel, CA, Psyop - active and reserve forces - are heavily dominated by male soldiers, not female - even though these are non-combat and non-lethal fires positions. So, even there, it would require specific targeted recruiting.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Wholeheartedly agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates