Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times

Advertisements

Lets play what if. What if you are an NCO in Afghanistan, a sergeant leading a squad. You are far from any road or airfield, if you go anyplace, you walk. Your intel has located a Taliban camp, and your unit gets orders to move out and hit them before they move. In this situation, would you want a woman or women in your squad, or would you prefer all men??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Lets play what if. What if you are an NCO in Afghanistan, a sergeant leading a squad. You are far from any road or airfield, if you go anyplace, you walk. Your intel has located a Taliban camp, and your unit gets orders to move out and hit them before they move. In this situation, would you want a woman or women in your squad, or would you prefer all men??
I would have no problem with women if they meet all the required physical and mental parameters of a trained human killing machine. I've seen my wife give birth multiple times. I can guarantee you women can be trained to handle any situation. I've been in the military and I know for a fact that my two oldest daughters would have no problem with any of the mental and physical training. They also are more intelligent than most of the grunts with which I had served.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 05-20-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
While it may be true that women CAN be trained to meet minimum standards of military field competency, it is a longer and more difficult (and therefore wasteful) process to get them there, which is one of the very compelling reasons why there are no women playing in the National Football League, and very damned few even playing high school football.

I did see a girl play HS football, in Powhattan Kansas, a very small school that was still playing 11-man football in those days. Due to an injury, they had to suit up an eleventh player to avoid forfeiting the game, and there were no more eligible boys in the school. That was in about 1979, and passed unnoticed by the media. I also, at about the same time, had a girl on the Little League baseball team I coached. She won a game for us, because she was the only player who wasn't too macho to learn how to bunt, and she laid down a perfect one. She could also run like a deer, and by the time the other team got through throwing her bunt around, she was on third base.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
While it may be true that women CAN be trained to meet minimum standards of military field competency, it is a longer and more difficult (and therefore wasteful) process to get them there, which is one of the very compelling reasons why there are no women playing in the National Football League, and very damned few even playing high school football.

I did see a girl play HS football, in Powhattan Kansas, a very small school that was still playing 11-man football in those days. Due to an injury, they had to suit up an eleventh player to avoid forfeiting the game, and there were no more eligible boys in the school. That was in about 1979, and passed unnoticed by the media. I also, at about the same time, had a girl on the Little League baseball team I coached. She won a game for us, because she was the only player who wasn't too macho to learn how to bunt, and she laid down a perfect one. She could also run like a deer, and by the time the other team got through throwing her bunt around, she was on third base.
I believe most men from the military could not compete in the NFL as they are not at the top of the genetic gene pool necessary for that sport. However, I know from experience that women are physically able to be combat soldiers above the minimum physical requirements. Most physically able women don't sign up for the military because their abilities allow them to compete in other areas of society. The problem is not that there are not capable women. The problem getting capable women to sign up. I have been at athletic events where there are literally over a thousand 5'10"+ potential XENA-type warriors. Image the degrading impact on the Taliban knowing your but just got destroyed by a bunch of American female gladiators.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I believe most men from the military could not compete in the NFL as they are not at the top of the genetic gene pool necessary for that sport. However, I know from experience that women are physically able to be combat soldiers above the minimum physical requirements. Most physically able women don't sign up for the military because their abilities allow them to compete in other areas of society. The problem is not that there are not capable women. The problem getting capable women to sign up.
Agreed. And it doesn't take longer for the military to train women than it does to train men. All Soldiers have the same time allotted for their particular Basic and Specialized training. Either they succeed in that amount of time or they don't. An anecdote: in my husband's entire Battalion the only Soldiers to have trouble passing the periodic physical requirement tests were male - all females met or exceeded the standards.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Agreed. And it doesn't take longer for the military to train women than it does to train men. All Soldiers have the same time allotted for their particular Basic and Specialized training. Either they succeed in that amount of time or they don't. An anecdote: in my husband's entire Battalion the only Soldiers to have trouble passing the periodic physical requirement tests were male - all females met or exceeded the standards.
In my observations men who were physically smaller and weaker than me had a much easier time meeting the physical qualification requirements during boot than I did. My Brute strength only hampered me for most of basic.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
In my observations men who were physically smaller and weaker than me had a much easier time meeting the physical qualification requirements during boot than I did. My Brute strength only hampered me for most of basic.
Take a look at most US Army Special Forces, US Navy SEALs, British Army SAS, British Royal Navy SBS, German KSK, Polish GROM, etc ... most of their members do not look like massive bodybuilders but rather average sized people. It's more about your endurance and brains than your bicep size.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihs2006 View Post
take a look at most us army special forces, us navy seals, british army sas, british royal navy sbs, german ksk, polish grom, etc ... Most of their members do not look like massive bodybuilders but rather average sized people. It's more about your endurance and brains than your bicep size.
bingo!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Are kidding me? Tell my wife she is defending her home and kids. No better killer instinct in animal nature. All of my daughters are excellent shots. My oldest shot a deer at 300 yards in the eight inch kill zone from a standing position. Then she eviscerated it without puking. I have hunting buddies that still gag after 25 years of gutting animals. Her pu$$y a$$ College football boyfriend couldn't even look at the gut pile without heaving. My second oldest daughter beat the crap out of a male high school track star because he made a smartassed remark about her being an easy score because she did not go out with him. My ten year old daughter just ran the mile in 6:53 seconds for the presidential mile exam.
Get a clue. The only barrier on this issue is our culture.

BS ! ( on your last sentence)

Why don't we have one sports team for high school, colleges, pros ?

Do you really think women could compete ?

Why do " pc" police and fire depts keep " watering down" the physical requirements in order to get more women on the force or in the dept?

If a woman has the strength and endurance, why are the Olympics divided into " men's " and " womens" ?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BS ! ( on your last sentence)

Why don't we have one sports team for high school, colleges, pros ?

Do you really think women could compete ?

Why do " pc" police and fire depts keep " watering down" the physical requirements in order to get more women on the force or in the dept?

If a woman has the strength and endurance, why are the Olympics divided into " men's " and " womens" ?
You seem to think I'm including every women that can breathe and write her name on an application. Your "BS" statement just reinforces my culture assertion. I never stated that average men and women are physically identical. I only stated that there are women that can be trained to be effective combat troops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates