Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times

Advertisements

Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM

650 posts, read 1,326,921 times
One's IQ has nothing to do with where they grew up, your whole question sounds ignorant.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 AM

49 posts, read 99,992 times
I guess it's like how some people think their college "makes" them smarter than others.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 AM

95 posts, read 207,511 times
Because they be street.

Yo.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
It's a stereotype. There are plenty of people from all of these places who do not fit into the stereotype. I have a friend who is originally from Brooklyn who is the most laid back person you'll come across.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Can you restate your question? There is no word for "bad ****" in my language, and your point is incomprehensible without it.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I grew up in an urban City with a fairly high crime rate as compared to cities four or five times its size. Fighting was a way of life, sport, and entertainment from the time I was in the second grade. There were boxing clubs established to occupy some kids. It was always a thrill to set up a make shift boxing ring or wresting mat and try my skills against a golden glove champ or the state wrestling heavy weight.

When I grew up professional athletes in our city didn't seem to make a lot of money. Many of them had off season Jobs , ran bars, worked at car lots, got paid for exhibition games, and their wives had to work.
So none of us had any desire to channel this energy into organized sports. I got kicked out of high School for fighting a pretty good friend of mine. We told the Vice Principal "we do this all the time around the neighborhood, it really wasn't a real fight"

In urban areas people teach their kids to be tough because that's the world as they see it. Comedian David Brenner, said once he ran home from school because he was being chased by a gang of boys who were going to beat him up . when he made it through the door and told his mother she pushed him back out side an locked the door to make him fight. I love it , My mother told me if some body messes with you pick up the biggest thing you can hoist and hit them with it.
My take is those of us who grew up in crowded urban cities win or lose are not afraid of a fight we might just enjoy it.
I might add if we are Dummer than average people ,why are some of the best colleges in the country near these Urban cities?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Wow, I actually agree with jtur.

OP-Proof, please, that people from these places have lower IQ's than those from Seattle or Duluth. Besides, Metro Detroit and Chicago have some of the most affluent suburbs in the nation.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ.
Is that what it means? As a native-born Brooklynite, please allow me to reveal a tiny little secret (please don't spread this around, because it can't possibly be a good thing if everyone else finds this out): you have a lot to learn. And your comments aren't a particularly good reflection on your own IQ, by the way.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Why do the people from Brooklyn, Chicago, Detroit, LA, new york, and other areas feel they are somehow a bad ***? Who cares where you grew up...more than likely all that means is you have a lower than average IQ..it does not mean you are tougher than someone who was raised in say Seattle, or Duluth or even someone from Omaha.

So, why do these people think they are tougher than others? Are their IQ's just so low that is all they see?
I can tell you first hand, as someone who was raised in a rural town, and worked in downtown Detroit the answer to this.

The people who grew up in downtown Detroit live in a war zone. There are murders, killings, gang wars, and lots of other dangers, daily. The people in Omaha don't face that threat. I've been to Seattle, I didn't feel uncomfortable at anyone time.

However, you put me down at Livernois and 5 mile, I'm freaked at any point of the day, let alone at night.

Most of the people you've encountered though probably just lived in a suburb though. They aren't anymore bad asses then anyone anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates