Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here, watching the current drug czar and last drug czar on CNN, talking about alcohol and marijuana.

The current one, Gil Kerlikowske, is saying that they are against marijuana because, "look at what alcohol and tobacco do now". The former one (sorry, didn't catch his name), said he is in favor of stricter laws on alcohol.

When will people learn, you can't stop people from doing these things.

I'm not just wanting to get into a debate about marijuana or alcohol, but all morals.

If its not widely accepted by the public, and I mean in numbers higher than 80% support, you can't tell 20% of 350,000,000 people they can't do something they want to do.

Sex, drugs, music, hate, and all of the other morals we try to tell people no to. When are we going to learn that all of these things will always exist, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone other than those who decide to participate in them, then why do you care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Alcohol and Marijuana are not moral issues, and have no place in a discussion about morals. Neither are Sex and Music. But Hate is.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
^^ Says you. Unfortunately, too many people disagree with you.

Fact is, virtually every law dictates a moral of some sort.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
What about murder? Should we legalize it? Not murdering is a moral value.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Hey hey hey - you can't legislate morals!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Thats why I said in my OP, that you can't legislate morals, that less than 80% majority agree with.

For instance, Alcohol was seen by about 60% of Americans as being ok to prohibit. However, the other 40% eventually got their way, because you just can't legislate morality.

Also, civil rights. Until a overwhelming majority thought that everyone should have the same rights, it wasn't passed.

You just can't legislate morality. Everyone knows murder, stealing, and things of that nature are wrong, which is why those are laws in every country.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:50 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
It's an interesting topic for sure. Think about our laws...why are any of them there? Mostly to protect people from their own human nature tendency to do things that are not necessarily good for them, or others. I agree however that, and I know this isn't quite the topic, but why exactly is alcohol perfectly legal and marijuana not? I never understood the logic. But anyway, you can't 'legislate' morality. But you can and should legislate protection; both from others and from ourselves.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:13 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
I think we can legislate things where somebody else gets hurt (or killed, in this case). On the other hand, if nobody but the person involved in getting hurt (or nobody at all), then that's their business to do as they like.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:30 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Sex, drugs, music, hate, and all of the other morals we try to tell people no to. When are we going to learn that all of these things will always exist, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone other than those who decide to participate in them, then why do you care?
So where do you draw the line, if there is one at all? Which morals are you picking and choosing? All behavior can be looked at as moral or immoral.

So, do you completely do away with the age of consent, allow persons in power to have sex with their subordinates (priest, teacher, jailor), is incest allowed? Who will determine what "hurt" is?

Do you do away completely with drug laws, does that include all drugs? Can I gift them to who I want? Use them where and when I want?

Should we be allowed to scream "FIRE" in a movie theater or "I'LL BLOW THIS MOTHER" on an airplane?

Should public schools be allowed to teach religion, evolution, creationism as a valid point of view, if they so choose?. Should children be allowed to go to school dressed any way they want?

BTW, we don't legislate feelings or intent, we legislate behavior. When you mean hate I assume you mean discrimination. Is that not hurtful? What is hurtful in your mind?

If you want 100% Freedom to.... then you wil have to do away with Freedom from..

Slippery slope if you ask me

Last edited by robee70; 05-21-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
It's an interesting topic for sure. Think about our laws...why are any of them there? Mostly to protect people from their own human nature tendency to do things that are not necessarily good for them, or others. I agree however that, and I know this isn't quite the topic, but why exactly is alcohol perfectly legal and marijuana not? I never understood the logic. But anyway, you can't 'legislate' morality. But you can and should legislate protection; both from others and from ourselves.
This is an excellent point. I'm not fan of either, but, making it illegal just doesn't work at all in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates