Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Jobs receive high pay according to how much somebody is willing to pay to have the job done. The End.

Which is why drug smugglers are paid more than teachers.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Jobs receive high pay according to how much somebody is willing to pay to have the job done. The End.

Which is why drug smugglers are paid more than teachers.
too overly simplistic. Jobs receive high pay according to how much someone is willing to pay to have the job done, the amount of time and money invested in receiving education and training to be able to perform the job, the amount of risk and danger involved in the job, and the limited number of people in the world able to perform the job. When I did repair work at a FedEx sorting facility in Texas, one of their steel belt conveyors was damaged by an autopart. FedEx could find only two men in North America qualified to do the welding job on that steel belt. They paid the man's round trip plane ticket and put him up in a very nice DFW area hotel as well as provide him with transportation. When his welding job was complete, we couldn't tell where the repair job was made. There are several high paying jobs that are also high stress including Doctors.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 AM

201 posts, read 431,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Are you nuts.......I mean my Uncle is a neurosurgeon-He must surely have contacts!
Nepotism is rampant in the most lucent places.....a sad truth.All these 2 have to do is get through their 5 years and they are set.Her father even got her a BMW for her birthday or something.She is a nice girl but I sometimes question the ability of an individual.

Also India is highly,I mean Highly competitive-much more so than any other country on the planet(not that it is a good thing-its rote learning).People get into harvards and Yales but will not get into the IITs or IIMs but then the reason I admire your system is it actually encourages creativity and passion.Trust me,some of us who understand this have to live with it.
So,I am pretty sure that they did not give any tests and got admitted.They must have surely paid their way in.
India has a few nobel prize winners so there is some creativity (probably not very good if you look at it on a per capita basis but better than china), now if we were talking about china that would be a different story, china has the academic credibility of a 3rd world nation.

You have to study what you are passionate about otherwise you wont be very successful, its nice when your passions line up with golden ticket jobs. It sounds like your friends kids are dabblers because they have a huge safety net, there is no real accomplishment there they are just messing around because they can afford to, if they were serious about being doctors they would be going to a US school.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,424 times
Who cares what someone wants to become? I think that is their business and no one elses. I also think that people that complain about materialism and greed are just jealous of people that make money. There are always going to be people with more of everything. Get over it. If you want more, figure out a way to get it that is legal, and go do it. It doesn't bother me to see people on their private yacht or driving BMWs. I feel like if I wanted those things, I would figure out a way to get them. I am content with what I have, and I don't have time to worry about everyone elses business. Wanting money and choosing a career in order to obtain money does not make people bad. That is just faulty reasoning.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
too overly simplistic. Jobs receive high pay according to how much someone is willing to pay to have the job done, the amount of time and money invested in receiving education and training to be able to perform the job, the amount of risk and danger involved in the job, and the limited number of people in the world able to perform the job. When I did repair work at a FedEx sorting facility in Texas, one of their steel belt conveyors was damaged by an autopart. FedEx could find only two men in North America qualified to do the welding job on that steel belt. They paid the man's round trip plane ticket and put him up in a very nice DFW area hotel as well as provide him with transportation. When his welding job was complete, we couldn't tell where the repair job was made. There are several high paying jobs that are also high stress including Doctors.
You're answer reinforces my "overly simplistic" point. Fed Ex paid what they were willing to pay to have the job done. If nobody was willing to pay the welder what he charged, he would be out of work, regardless of how much training or experience he had, the danger of the job, the cost of transport, or anything else. He works only for what a client is willing to pay. That is the only factor. Derek Jeter and the toilet cleaners in Yankee Stadium work for what the client is willing to pay. Nothing else enters into the equation.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:16 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
now if we were talking about china that would be a different story, china has the academic credibility of a 3rd world nation.
Is that the case? I'm pretty sure degrees from China are recognized in the US. I work with several scientists hailing from China and my company just set up a site in China. OTOH, I do know that the US tends not to accept PhDs coming out of Russia. We had a scientist contracting with us last year and he was able to get the job as an entry-level scientist because the co did not recognize his doctorate. If he had a PhD from the US he wouldn't have got the job. I'm sure there are other countries that fall into that camp, but again, I didn't think China was one of them.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM

201 posts, read 431,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Is that the case? I'm pretty sure degrees from China are recognized in the US. I work with several scientists hailing from China and my company just set up a site in China. OTOH, I do know that the US tends not to accept PhDs coming out of Russia. We had a scientist contracting with us last year and he was able to get the job as an entry-level scientist because the co did not recognize his doctorate. If he had a PhD from the US he wouldn't have got the job. I'm sure there are other countries that fall into that camp, but again, I didn't think China was one of them.
If that is the case then its a political reason not an academic reason, more significant break throughs have came out of russia and none in china in thousands of years. Its common knowlage that china plagerizes for there PhD's and every thing else that is scientific or technologicly related.

You can google china and their academic plagerism and there short list of nobel prize winners. Also look up the book on edge diffraction theory, it was math developed by a russian that we used to build the stealth. China does have some smart people and they usually come over here and get US educations and dissociate themselves from china I had a professor in a top notch school that did just that and he was sharp (with a US PhD).....because they are smart lol.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
If that is the case then its a political reason not an academic reason, more significant break throughs have came out of russia and none in china in thousands of years. Its common knowlage that china plagerizes for there PhD's and every thing else that is scientific or technologicly related.
I didn't know it was common knowledge. I was under the impression that it's a matter of criteria for the degrees. The scientist I worked with did discuss some differences. Not that, that necessarily matters, tho, it does in academic circles and private industry. As far as the politics side of it, who knows. Perhaps.

Quote:
You can google china and their academic plagerism and there short list of nobel prize winners. Also look up the book on edge diffraction theory, it was math developed by a russian that we used to build the stealth. China does have some smart people and they usually come over here and get US educations and dissociate themselves from china I had a professor in a top notch school that did just that and he was sharp (with a US PhD).....because they are smart lol.
Eh, I'm sure we could google any country + plagiarism and retrieve many hits. Either way, again, I work with a lot of scientists from China who obtained their degrees in China and they're all fine scientists. It's unlikely my co, an international co, would invest billions in research in China if their education was as you proport. OTOH, it would be interesting to review academics offered side by side if you have a link in mind.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why do you care why someone chooses the career they do? Is it harming you in some way?
YES! OF COURSE what other people do affects us. If someone chooses to be a doctor for the money instead of the altruism, their greediness can affect people's lives. And don't give me that, 'if they are good at it' line. Medicine is highly politicized. You brown nose your superiors in a hospital you'll rise through the ranks and become a rich Moderator cut: language in no time flat, while your altruistic college roommate is stuck in the trenches of the ER, actually caring about who lives and who dies.

Quote:
My daughter wants to be an architect or a lawyer mainly because of the money but she'll be great at either.
In other words, your daughter is going to be a Lawyer. Architects don't make much money. They put in 60+ hours a week at work because they are passionate about their career. Money is not passion. If you are in it for the money, you aren't going to be an Architect.

Quote:
Why should it matter to anyone if her choices are being made based, primarily, on income?
No offense intented, but if you believe that, no amount of explaining is going to convince you. Your mind has been... influenced by materialism so much that you can't see how greed leads to a self-serving attitude, which can lead you to trivialize your fellow man. It's a slippery slope. And it begins by thinking that materialism isn't bad.

Quote:
Being able to take care of yourself and your family is not something to be ashamed of. If the career you choose comes with more than that, more power to you. There is nothing wrong with being able to afford a nice life. The only people I can see complaining about it are people who made choices that resulted in them not being able to afford one. But that's their choice.
AND the only people I see who say things like that are people who are trying to justify their materialistic lifestyle, trying to tell the world that they aren't bad for splashing homeless people with their $100,000 vehicles.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 05-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post

AND the only people I see who say things like that are people who are trying to justify their materialistic lifestyle, trying to tell the world that they aren't bad for splashing homeless people with their $100,000 vehicles.
I think it's rock and movie stars that are driving 100k vehicles. Or, maybe these docs and lawyers are making way more than I ever figured.

Any way, I'm curious as to where the salary cut off is between those that are materialistic and those just earning a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates