U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 AM
 
440 posts, read 669,351 times
Reputation: 628

Advertisements

I live in India and unfortunately for the majority of Indians,society standings and materialism mean a lot.This is the reason you see so many Indians as successful doctors and engineers--because most of us are bred since kindergarten to become successful and own big homes.Now the positive side of this is I do appreciate the hard work-If you give your SATs and GMATs and successfully go to America,get a good job and pay taxes....I think its good but I get upset when most folks solely choose their careers based on these foundations especially careers which effect others in more ways than one-MEDICINE

My uncle stays in New Jersey-A highly successful neurosurgeon and he has two kids.Despite having a fortune,he has sent his 2 children to India to study medicine for 5 years-It is dirt cheap....Like 20000 US $$$,I bet 5 years in the US would be more than this.
Again I dont have a complain because of this but what made me sad is I asked his kids and they told me that the only reason they are here is because when they get back they have a $$$ job waiting.Money is great.the actual intentions of studying medicine and becoming a doctor is something else.
I thought,maybe..this is the Indian mindset but then I have a caucasian friend in idaho and he too told me the exact same thing.....Medicine is seen as the golden ticket-If you can take up the challenge,invest the time-you will be duly rewarded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM
 
1,719 posts, read 3,625,522 times
Reputation: 1251
Welcome to the U.S. way of life. The rest of the world is starting to see and experience the stuff that materialism and status confer upon an individual. It is intoxicating and ultimately destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
 
887 posts, read 1,746,006 times
Reputation: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
My uncle stays in New Jersey-A highly successful neurosurgeon and he has two kids.Despite having a fortune,he has sent his 2 children to India to study medicine for 5 years-It is dirt cheap....Like 20000 US $$$,I bet 5 years in the US would be more than this.
Here's the part your uncle didn't tell you: His two children are studying medicine in India because they couldn't get into a US medical school (most likely due to poor grades and work ethic), not because your uncle is being cheap. A lot of Indian doctors in the US practice with medical degrees from India or the Caribbean. In India a medical degree is merely a bachelor-level degree (MBBS). They then come to the US and pretend they have an MD.

Unfortunately for your uncle's two children, it's becoming harder for foreign medical graduates to get a medical residency training spot in the US. You can't get licensed without undergoing US residency training. So that $20k and 5 years might have been thrown down the drain for your uncle's two kids. I call that karma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:05 AM
 
440 posts, read 669,351 times
Reputation: 628
I mean my Uncle is a neurosurgeon-He must surely have contacts!
Nepotism is rampant in the most lucent places.....a sad truth.All these 2 have to do is get through their 5 years and they are set.Her father even got her a BMW for her birthday or something.She is a nice girl but I sometimes question the ability of an individual.

Also India is highly,I mean Highly competitive-much more so than any other country on the planet(not that it is a good thing-its rote learning).People get into harvards and Yales but will not get into the IITs or IIMs but then the reason I admire your system is it actually encourages creativity and passion.Trust me,some of us who understand this have to live with it.
So,I am pretty sure that they did not give any tests and got admitted.They must have surely paid their way in.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Some Beach... Somewhere...
4,572 posts, read 3,833,248 times
Reputation: 4738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I mean my Uncle is a neurosurgeon-He must surely have contacts!
Then that would be a tragedy in the making. I would hate to learn that I was seeing a doctor who obtained anything to do with his postion because of "contacts" rather than skill and ability. I don't want someone prescribing medical treatment for me when all they're truly qualified to do is work a Slurpee machine yet Daddy called this friend at the University...

Tell these kids that 7-11 is a noble profession also!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,722,259 times
Reputation: 14499
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I live in India and unfortunately for the majority of Indians,society standings and materialism mean a lot.This is the reason you see so many Indians as successful doctors and engineers--because most of us are bred since kindergarten to become successful and own big homes.Now the positive side of this is I do appreciate the hard work-If you give your SATs and GMATs and successfully go to America,get a good job and pay taxes....I think its good but I get upset when most folks solely choose their careers based on these foundations especially careers which effect others in more ways than one-MEDICINE

My uncle stays in New Jersey-A highly successful neurosurgeon and he has two kids.Despite having a fortune,he has sent his 2 children to India to study medicine for 5 years-It is dirt cheap....Like 20000 US $$$,I bet 5 years in the US would be more than this.
Again I dont have a complain because of this but what made me sad is I asked his kids and they told me that the only reason they are here is because when they get back they have a $$$ job waiting.Money is great.the actual intentions of studying medicine and becoming a doctor is something else.
I thought,maybe..this is the Indian mindset but then I have a caucasian friend in idaho and he too told me the exact same thing.....Medicine is seen as the golden ticket-If you can take up the challenge,invest the time-you will be duly rewarded

Why do you care why someone chooses the career they do? Is it harming you in some way? I really don't care what my doctor's motivations are for being a doctor as long as she's good at what she does. Doctors don't make money very long if they aren't good at what they do.

My daughter wants to be an architect or a lawyer mainly because of the money but she'll be great at either. Why should it matter to anyone if her choices are being made based, primarily, on income? Being able to take care of yourself and your family is not something to be ashamed of. If the career you choose comes with more than that, more power to you. There is nothing wrong with being able to afford a nice life. The only people I can see complaining about it are people who made choices that resulted in them not being able to afford one. But that's their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
Reputation: 67091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Here's the part your uncle didn't tell you: His two children are studying medicine in India because they couldn't get into a US medical school (most likely due to poor grades and work ethic), not because your uncle is being cheap. A lot of Indian doctors in the US practice with medical degrees from India or the Caribbean. In India a medical degree is merely a bachelor-level degree (MBBS). They then come to the US and pretend they have an MD.

Unfortunately for your uncle's two children, it's becoming harder for foreign medical graduates to get a medical residency training spot in the US. You can't get licensed without undergoing US residency training. So that $20k and 5 years might have been thrown down the drain for your uncle's two kids. I call that karma.
That's not necessarily true. A lot of people go to med school overseas because you don't have to do an undergrad degree there, it's cheaper, and it's faster.

Btw, to get into good schools and especially stuff like med school in India, you have to be beyond bad-ass. Most of our kids here couldn't hack the competition there.

The people going to India for med school from foreign countries often to go private places who hold spots for foreigners.

This vicious attack/answer is just that...and bereft of a lot of truth and fact.

Btw, how do you feel about less-than-qualified candidates in U.S. med schools who are there despite less work ethic and with lower grades...who get in because of affirmative action? And people of Indian descent are not eligible for AA, so you can guess which races are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
Reputation: 67091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Then that would be a tragedy in the making. I would hate to learn that I was seeing a doctor who obtained anything to do with his postion because of "contacts" rather than skill and ability. I don't want someone prescribing medical treatment for me when all they're truly qualified to do is work a Slurpee machine yet Daddy called this friend at the University...

Tell these kids that 7-11 is a noble profession also!
Moderator cut: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

To the op, don't worry so much about people's motivations. There are a lot of jobs in which you can make a lot of money. I wouldn't pick medicine to make money. It's a harsh lifestyle, a lot of risk/responsibility, and the pay isn't that great compared to the potential in other fields. You should worry about if whoever's working for you (be it a doctor, a mechanic, etc, etc) is doing their best work, is competent, and cares about what they do.

Btw, I would guess most people on this planet go to work for the money.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,319,597 times
Reputation: 8606
When I was still in grade school, we all had to talk to a our Guidance Councillor about what we wanted to do with our lives.

She did the "If you had a million dollars, what would you do?" question. Meaning, whatever you'd do, if you didn't have to worry about money, what would you do.

My answer was to own a boat, and sail around the world. Now, that doesn't mean that I want to be a merchant marine, or a cargo boat captain, it means I want to drive my own boat, with no one else on it, to exotic locations, where I can lounge around at the beach.

Hard to make a living doing that.

So, I realized that I have a nack for computers and electrical equipment. I eventually got a job working for a cellular phone company. But, on the weekends, I have a boat, and I can relax at the beach, because it gives me enough money to do that.

Would I do this job if I had enough money to retire, hell no. I work for money, its that simple. Does that make me immoral, not to me, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Most folks work in a job, thats a means to an end. If you ask most people if they would work if they didn't have to, the answer is usually no. Thats just one reason why communism failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 12,911,908 times
Reputation: 8127
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Welcome to the U.S. way of life. The rest of the world is starting to see and experience the stuff that materialism and status confer upon an individual. It is intoxicating and ultimately destructive.
I disagree.

We have had too many career counsellors advising our high school kids to " follow your heart"......." do only what you enjoy"---( in regards to picking a career path.)

(IMHO) unless you are one of the few with the skills to be a pro athlete, you better reach a compromise.

starving artists are a dime a dozen .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top