Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 AM

25,949 posts, read 24,635,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not superficial at all. When the green people have babies, they are also green. It's deeper than superficial.
I didn't say YOU were superficial. By IT I meant the way we look at people who seem different from us.
Sure, if they only reproduced among themselves, their babies would be green, too. But if they arrive to stay at their new location and are biologically compatible with locals, they would sooner or later mix as well. There is no point in staying green just so that others can continue to call them green. Skin color is not a goal or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM

12,912 posts, read 13,589,536 times
I have always thought it was interesting how some tribal cultures historically treated people who were of another "race". It seems they made every opportunity to get that individuals genes in the pool. Even going out side of their tribes or communities to find brides or in one case in Africa warriors from distant tribes are used to impregnate men's wives. Quite a contrast to Western views of people who look different.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,026,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
Is it a physical thing or a cultural thing? Hispanics and Jews for example consist of people of many different geographical races, but they're often considered a "race". Even Muslims are thought of as a race sometimes.
People use the term "race" for a variety of things. I've heard "Jewish race", "Irish race", and "Scandinavian race". I think that a person who was a real stickler would contend that in such cases, the term is used incorrectly. I think it's actual definition has to do with a kind of layman's term for the word "subspecies". If you get a book on bird identification, for example, it'll talk about a "western race of a fox sparrow", and many other various races of birds.

Whether human races actually exist is a never-ending argument. Many things have come in to play. Zoology, anthropology, sociology, and even political correctness have become factors in the debate. Ironically, whether race exists in humans is, to most people's perspective, just a technicality and is therefore mostly irrelevant. Eyes can see differences, after all.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,709,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I didn't say YOU were superficial. By IT I meant the way we look at people who seem different from us.
Sure, if they only reproduced among themselves, their babies would be green, too. But if they arrive to stay at their new location and are biologically compatible with locals, they would sooner or later mix as well. There is no point in staying green just so that others can continue to call them green. Skin color is not a goal or anything.
The way people look can seem different to us because they are green, and their offspring will be green because green is genetic, and nothing can be done to make them ungreen. Not superficial. Or they can seem different to us because they don't shave or they eat insects or have a polytheistic faith or they drown their daughters or they don't execute their criminals, and those differences do not reflect race, but only cultural upbringing and one can be converted to a stewardess by six weeks at charm school. Superficial.

You can breed any characteristic out of any population. You could create a population of blind men, whose children would be blind, given sufficient generations to accomplish the task. If you discovered an island of blind men where all babies are born blind, would you call that a race? Or of 12-fingered men? Or men with black skin?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM

25,949 posts, read 24,635,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The way people look can seem different to us because they are green, and their offspring will be green because green is genetic, and nothing can be done to make them ungreen. Not superficial. Or they can seem different to us because they don't shave or they eat insects or have a polytheistic faith or they drown their daughters or they don't execute their criminals, and those differences do not reflect race, but only cultural upbringing and one can be converted to a stewardess by six weeks at charm school. Superficial.
Gene-based properties can change as well, look at any mixed-race people. Even during one's lifetime one's skin color can vary quite a bit. I used to be very pale when I lived in the north, now that I live here I am quite brown. According to a model it would take typical Swedes only 2000 years to become (genetically!) as dark as Africans if they were moved to Mali and only reproduced among themselves.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:39 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,709,167 times
Quote:
Gene-based properties can change as well, look at any mixed-race people. Even during one's lifetime one's skin color can vary quite a bit. I used to be very pale when I lived in the north, now that I live here I am quite brown. According to a model it would take typical Swedes only 2000 years to become (genetically!) as dark as Africans if they were moved to Mali and only reproduced among themselves.
You've nailed it. Gene-based properties can change ONLY by "mixed-race" dynamics. (Or glacially slowly.) Your words.

You own color anecdote is because your tan doesn't go away without a northern winter. Unless you're a nudist, I bet your butt cheeks are still just as pale. I'm very suspicious of your "model" and would like to see a citation.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,067,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have always thought it was interesting how some tribal cultures historically treated people who were of another "race". It seems they made every opportunity to get that individuals genes in the pool. Even going out side of their tribes or communities to find brides or in one case in Africa warriors from distant tribes are used to impregnate men's wives. Quite a contrast to Western views of people who look different.
No. Those tribes weren't trying to import genes into their gene pool. They were killing off the enemy menfolk and spreading their own genes by raping and taking the enemy women for their wives. They were trying to dominate the lands further by spreading their sperm around.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 PM

12,912 posts, read 13,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Those tribes weren't trying to import genes into their gene pool. They were killing off the enemy menfolk and spreading their own genes by raping and taking the enemy women for their wives. They were trying to dominate the lands further by spreading their sperm around.
Clearly Matthew Henson, the black explorer in Alaska and York, the black explorer in The Corps of Discovery were not allowed to rape women, None the less there is a considerable amount people who's ancestors where present during those historic conquest who claim to be descendants of the men. In York's case as well as the tribal tradition in one area of Africa I mention, there is well documented primary sources. In both cases the husbands stand guard outside of the dwelling while their wives have their way with stranger. There are many cultural traditions where women are more powerful than men and get to decide who they will have sex with.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,177,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Ummm.. Race is "a group of people or animals that share the same traits". Could be skin color, hair color, eye color, place of birth, preference of music, etc.
Going by that list, my children and I are all of different races, except for the three of us who have blue eyes. Well, okay, and the twins have the same place of birth-- but they share that with a million or so others, many of whom would never be considered the same race as they are.

Within a few generations I think the whole concept will be pointless, except maybe for SPF factor or hair products.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM

731 posts, read 1,575,759 times
Quote:
My friend told me, she is Indian herself and very interested in the history of her country.
There is even an interesting article on Wiki about this (yeah, I know, Wiki...), it pretty much confirms what has been found out so far. There are still a lot of myths out there, that are gradually being refuted as there are more and wider genetic studies.

Sorry to say that, but your source seems one of those Afro-centrist texts that lack scientific substance. India has very little to do with Africa.
Caste System in india, Indian Caste System, Caste in India

Sorry to say, but I couldn't open the" article" on Wiki, and I don't use Wiki as a source anyway. The topic was what is race? My intent was to represent that, in fact, race does mean color. The caste system was based on Varna, which means color and jati which means birth, life or rank. My premise is based on socio historical information. Sorry, your friend doesn't know much about her homeland. Anyone who tries to say the caste was based on head size or shoe size is just trying to side step that there was and is race aka color.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates