Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,634 times

Advertisements

It is KNOWN that children exhibit signs of who they are at an age long before an awareness of sexuality. Sexuality and gender are not black/white divisions. Belief and religion are purely upbringing.

Come meet our new baby we adopted from China!

You adopted a baby from China? That's wonderful! What's her name?

Lilly!

What, is that some kinda cruel joke? How's she gonna be able to say her own name with that accent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
It is KNOWN that children exhibit signs of who they are at an age long before an awareness of sexuality. Sexuality and gender are not black/white divisions. Belief and religion are purely upbringing.

Come meet our new baby we adopted from China!

You adopted a baby from China? That's wonderful! What's her name?

Lilly!

What, is that some kinda cruel joke? How's she gonna be able to say her own name with that accent...
Hey, I like Modern Family too, but there is no scientific proof that says people are 100% born gay.

Most scientists agree its both nature and nurture, not one or the other completely.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 PM

OK one more time...

The point being, there IS quite a .lot of evidence that BELIEF and RELIGION are NOT genetic.

Belief and values are pretty much 100% nurture.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
OK one more time...

The point being, there IS quite a .lot of evidence that BELIEF and RELIGION are NOT genetic.

Belief and values are pretty much 100% nurture.
No, the point is this.

I'm saying that being the child of a homosexual couple doesn't make you any more likely than being born to an open, modern polygamist family.

Most people want to conform to society, even if they are born in a alternative family environment.

What you are trying to say is that you believe that homosexuality is 100% genetic, so that rules out the possibility of it being passed on to the child. I am saying that most scientists say that it is not only a genetic factor, but also a nurture factor.

If belief and religion are both nurture, then being gay could also nurture a gay child, if polygamists nurture polygamist children.

I understand this is a silly idea, I don't think gay parents are likely at all to make gay children, unless they already had the genetic factors at birth.

I also understand that the cult of the FLDS breed polygamist children. But they are a cult, not a ordinary loving family, who only wants the best for their children.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,566 times
polygamy is only a "power game" much like the Bible, in the OT shows, money, wealth is necessary to sustain it. I, and most average women, wouldn't tolerate it. Male prominence needs to be controlled. Polygamy? RIDICULOUS.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concha PEñA View Post
polygamy is only a "power game" much like the Bible, in the OT shows, money, wealth is necessary to sustain it. I, and most average women, wouldn't tolerate it. Male prominence needs to be controlled. Polygamy? RIDICULOUS.
And such is your right, all I'm saying is that you should have that right. The choice shouldn't be taken from you.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 PM

What you are trying to say is that you believe that homosexuality is 100% genetic, so that rules out the possibility of it being passed on to the child.

Thanks for telling me what I was trying to say, I really had no clue. Thanks for clearing that up in spite of my posting twice that was NOT what I was saying. Guess you fixed that, huh?

I am saying that most scientists say that it is not only a genetic factor, but also a nurture factor.

Now, show where one scientist has said that belief (as demonstrated in human beings) has any relationship at all to genetics.

Get it?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It means parents have no right to handicap their children so they are not able to survive and thrive in the outer world.

Think of intelligence tests. They don't actually measure intelligence, but survival ability in a given culture.

This is why it is mandatory that children are educated, else, there are some farmers in the backwoods who would just have them to be tax exemptions and stupid slave workers.

Abuse should never be tolerated, and is most heinous when the young are abused by their own families. Adults who are raised freely in a society are able to make choices of what they think is best for them, and if they want to join a cult or live in plural marriage or a commune, who cares? Kids don't have the perspective to make such decisions and it is a crime when parents deliberately pervert the small mind one way or the other.

Believing in Jesus or Ganesha or no God at all does not hinder your functioning in the world, at least for most people. Brainwashing your little girl into being a baby making slave who is captive because she's not been allowed the education and training to exist in the outside world, and taking her money away from her and and blocking any thoughts that she may have that she is entitled to one partner who adores her and only her is just reprehensible.

There are fictitious dramas on tv that have a way different depiction of plural marriage than is written of in books by women who have escaped such situations.

You are assuming that children are being abused. Yes, there have been abuses. In ALL cultures. Regular "normal" heterosexual people abuse their children as well. Just because someone is a polygamyst doesn't make them an abuser.
I am going by the ideology that all parties agree and that they are there for the welfare of their families.I know that the children do not have much say, but that is true in every family. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates