U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM

15,618 posts, read 9,170,259 times

Advertisements

Wasn’t sure where or to whom this should be addressed…

Recently, there were three different threads about a similar theme: the Van Der Sloot case and a spin off or two about whether people consider “innocent until proven guilty” in their personal opinions - and if the concept is really upheld in our court system. Apologies to the thread originators if I didn’t capture the points you were going for.

In any case, it looks like all three of the threads have been closed. I started thinking it was me because each closed shortly after I posted!

It seems within the scope of this forum to discuss current newsworthy items and legal concepts/practices. Is there a moderator or someone out there who can help a poster out with wording a new thread so we can dig into these topics?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,808,256 times
For general discussions, the Politics forum (or another general forum, if not a political question) is the appropriate location.
  • A poll asking whether someone is guilty or not does not belong in Great Debates.
  • A thread asking whether an established American legal precept is a "myth" or not does not belong in Great Debates.
  • A news topic that is already being discussed elsewhere probably does not belong in Great Debates.

Here's what the Administrator said when he established this forum:

Quote:
Great Debates is meant for respectful, intelligent, serious, well thought-out, slower-paced debates about all kinds of interesting issues.

So before starting a thread, ask: Is there something to debate? Not just discuss -- DEBATE. If not, the thread is out of place in this forum.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 PM

4,123 posts, read 2,872,758 times
As the other moderator of Great Debates, I completely agree with Dark of the Moon. It has been pointed out in the stickies at the top of this forum that this is a forum that will not tolerate the usual give and take, jabs and one line answers.

One thing that I would like to point out is the other forum that I also moderate. Politics and Other Controversies. Take a look in there at the wide array of topics. Perhaps that is were many topics (such as current newsworthy items and legal concepts/practices.) that do not belong in Great Debates can be discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates