Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,346,662 times

Advertisements

Grow a mass of strawberries from a single part of country and what do you get?

Fresh...
and far more so the field workers (http://www.panna.org/files/fieldsSum.dv.html - broken link)who grow them — to up to 54 known carcinogens, among other toxins. And things are about to get worse.
What You Don’t Know About Strawberries Could Kill You « Cjaye57′s Weblog

Scientists Claim Warnings About Strawberry Fumigant Ignored | FairWarning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:41 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
Do you really believe that crap? Given the gov't and all the checks? If you believe that, then how can you walk down the street?

Scare tactic, all it is. Anti ag.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
I don't know - the way I've been told to value/compare organic produce is to keep in mind the thickness of the skin and whether you eat it.

Bananas & oranges would be examples of fruits where a think peel means that you don't need a whole lot of pesticides to keep the bugs at bay.

But strawberries have very thin skin, so it would make sense they need to resort to extreme measures to keep them safe from the insects.

I have strawberries growing in a raised bed, and I can confirm it's hard to keep the critters off of them - if I was a wild animal I'd sure be going for a nice, tasty organic strawberry.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
I say for every 54 carcen's you take in, the strawberry deletes 58 of them. has to do w/control, alt, delete.

Live, eat, and repeat.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Buffoonery. It's just the anti-big-business Chicken Littles of the world trying to shut down a perfectly safe industrial/agricultural practice. It's the same type of loonies that attacked the asbestos industry with patently false claims. Or the manufacturers of lead piping.

It's nothing to worry about.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-16-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Lying and fearmongering get you nowhere. I read your link. It lists 8 known or probable carcinogens, and 46 other pesticides with varying health effects that may or may not be be present on strawberries. Note the emphasis on may or may not. Of your list of 54, 19 are found in less than 1% of the time. Over half are found less than 10% of the time.
That's an awful long way from what you're telling us.

I figured the best thing to do in this situation was to look up methyl iodide (what a novel idea...). It's a possible carcinogen (listed alongside things such as magnetic fields. However, if you breathe the fumes, it can do some pretty nasty things to you. Actually, the first lines of that website mention danger to field workers and bystanders. Or course, they shouldn't be spraying on windy days anyway...

Once it's on the fruit, the danger of breathing fumes is gone. It's not even to probable carcinogen status, but if you're worried, wash your fruit.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
For people with thyroid disease, of which there are about 27 million of us in this country alone, this will be devastating.

And for all you naysayers...You do realize that Methyl Iodide is USED in LABS to give rats cancer? It is a toxic agent.

Strawberry Fields...For Cancer? Thyroid Cancer is One of Many Health Dangers of Methyl Iodide, Toxic Pesticide Being Considered for Use on California Crops

Last edited by bellalunatic; 06-18-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I don't know - the way I've been told to value/compare organic produce is to keep in mind the thickness of the skin and whether you eat it.

Bananas & oranges would be examples of fruits where a think peel means that you don't need a whole lot of pesticides to keep the bugs at bay.

But strawberries have very thin skin, so it would make sense they need to resort to extreme measures to keep them safe from the insects.

I have strawberries growing in a raised bed, and I can confirm it's hard to keep the critters off of them - if I was a wild animal I'd sure be going for a nice, tasty organic strawberry.

Hi Chi-town Native,

That is more or less a good metric to use. Mangos and bananas have a two fold advantage in that they are protected from pests implying less pesticide use and far less penetration on the edible portion. Though I also have little use for trying to make agriculture into a factory and being fixed on a single food source when other alternatives are available. Massed produced strawberries are the worst of everything.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 06-22-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Lying and fearmongering get you nowhere. I read your link. It lists 8 known or probable carcinogens, and 46 other pesticides with varying health effects that may or may not be be present on strawberries. Note the emphasis on may or may not. Of your list of 54, 19 are found in less than 1% of the time. Over half are found less than 10% of the time.
That's an awful long way from what you're telling us.
Hi Stubblejumper,

I am telling you there is a significant risk, and for what? World peace? No, the cheapest strawberries possible.

Quote:
I figured the best thing to do in this situation was to look up methyl iodide (what a novel idea...). It's a possible carcinogen (listed alongside things such as magnetic fields. However, if you breathe the fumes, it can do some pretty nasty things to you. Actually, the first lines of that website mention danger to field workers and bystanders. Or course, they shouldn't be spraying on windy days anyway...
Good for you that you looked it up. Not so novel for me. Try an MSDS Dr Stubble.

METHYL IODIDE
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged or repeated exposure to smaller doses cause primarily central nervous system effects. Symptoms may include slurred speech, blurred vision, Parkinsonian rigidity and memory defects. Has been shown to cause cancer in animals and may be linked to cancer in humans.
And there is no way in hell I'd support it even with no residue meaning some poor migrant worker puts his life on the line. It opens the door to use it elsewhere. If my only assurance was they would not fumigate on windy days? Are you kidding me?

Quote:
Once it's on the fruit, the danger of breathing fumes is gone. It's not even to probable carcinogen status, but if you're worried, wash your fruit.
Its not on the fruit. Its used to fumigate the fields before they put in the fruit.

And who wants it? A company based in Tokyo. The same place where they saw nothing wrong with sleeping pills for children.

If we need to use highly toxic chemicals just to grow some fruit, I think something has not been thought out very well.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If we need to use highly toxic chemicals just to grow some fruit, I think something has not been thought out very well.
I think it's fair to say that Americans in general aren't thinking a LOT of things through, from allowing everything we use to be "Made in China" (in extremely toxic manners) to welcoming poison in our food.

I rest my case with the fact that they can get away with listing "Artificial Flavors" in an ingredient list.

Excuse me, but the whole point of the list is tell us what exactly those artificial ingredients are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living