U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,086,172 times

Advertisements

That's great! So, it really works well for you? Does it help with ticks too? We have a tick problem this year, and even the Off doesn't do much against them. Thanks for the tip!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:34 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,660,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Not sure which category to post this in so will start here. Looking for a recipe for homemade, non-toxic bug repellent to use on the body.

There is one non-toxic repellent that I know works and works well. AVON SKIN-SO-SOFT is what I used for a long time when I went fishing or did yard work. Sure you 'smell good' but not to the bugs!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 4,859,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
There is one non-toxic repellent that I know works and works well. AVON SKIN-SO-SOFT is what I used for a long time when I went fishing or did yard work. Sure you 'smell good' but not to the bugs!
Actually I am using Skin So Soft until I find a recipe I like using the essential oils. Have heard that some people use the SSS on horses to keep the flies from biting. Oily stuff, however--but it sounds like the homemade one would be, too.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
I have not personally tried this recipe, but I plan to when I run out of "Off".

20 drops Eucalyptus oil
20 drops Cedarwood oil
10 drops Tea Tree oil
10 drops Geranium oil
2 oz. carrier oil (such as Jojoba)

Mix together. Apply to skin as needed avoiding the eye area. Test on a small area of skin for sensitivities . Experiment with different percentages of essential oils.

Here is a website that talks about specific oils for specific insects. If you try any of this, please let us know how it works. I hate using "Off", but I have so much of it. I'm trying to use it all up before I experiment with my own concoctions.

Good luck!!
Thanks. Will try the recipe after I can get an oil carrier. I might add lemon balm (citronella) or something especially for gnats as they are probably the most problematic.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Four thieves bug repellant

2 tablespoons Rosemary
2 tablespoons Peppermint
2 tablespoons Wormwood or Rue
2 tablespoons Sage
2 tablespoons Lavender
2 tablespoons fresh, chopped garlic
2 quarts of apple cider vinegar
Thanks for this one, too. Are these tablespoons of OIL? Would the "wormwood or rue" be found where one buys essential oils?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,660,621 times
Quote:
Actually I am using Skin So Soft until I find a recipe I like using the essential oils. Have heard that some people use the SSS on horses to keep the flies from biting. Oily stuff, however--but it sounds like the homemade one would be, too.
Ask about Avon's bug repellent that is based on SSS with boosters to make it a true bug repellant. I just tried some of the bug repellant yesterday for trip into the woods to look for wildflowers to transplant into our garden.

Didn't even get a fly to land on me and no bites of any kind after three hours in the bush and river bank. Not even SSS can do that good!

Ask for...Avon bug guard plus. (safe for kids NO Deet!)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM

30,650 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
That's great! So, it really works well for you? Does it help with ticks too? We have a tick problem this year, and even the Off doesn't do much against them. Thanks for the tip!!
Yes it seems to work well.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM

30,650 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Quote:
Thanks for this one, too. Are these tablespoons of OIL? Would the "wormwood or rue" be found where one buys essential oils?
Yes, and yes.

I make BIG batches.

When spraying a scarf I go through a very small amount, likely only a 1/8 teaspoon.

Thing is that I spray the backs and sides of our dogs. We have goats and sheep and I spray our goats sometimes when the bugs get real thick.

In the big picture I only use a tiny portion of my mix for 'me', most of it goes for our animals.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,086,172 times
Ooooo, we're getting goats in the spring! That's a great tip! Thank you so, so much!!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM

10,286 posts, read 11,184,525 times
Unfortunately for people who don't like chemicals (except for the chemicals that they do like, of course) there is no scientific evidence supporting the proposition that any of these remedies are effective.

It's DEET or get bitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living