U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 AM

450 posts, read 4,391,877 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on painting my house, and I want to use low or no VOC paint.

I've done some research online and found lots of reviews complaining that some brands of no and low VOC paint have a fishy odor that persists after the paint is dry. Benjamin Moore Natura in particular had negative reviews.

What low or no VOC paint would you recommend? I've read the "Fresh Air" brand by Home Depot seems to have good reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM

2,963 posts, read 3,058,744 times
I used Benjamin Moore Aura paint in my house. I'm pretty sure that was low VOC paint. Don't buy into the "single-coat" sales pitch that they will throw at you. While a single-coat does a much better job than most lesser paints, the color just doesn't seem right unless you:
- prime first with a properly tinted primer and then do a single coat of Aura
- do two coats of Aura

I also used Sherwin Williams Duration Home paint. Its about $8-10 less per gallon than Aura. I believe it was low VOC. From a purely painting perspective, Duration is just as good as Aura. I can clean that paint just as well as Aura on a flat/satin finish. However, Duration might be not as low VOC as Aura.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
I've been using Dutch Boy. Its nice thick paint which covers in a couple of coats unless your putting dark over light or light over dark, in which case a good tinted primer is highly reccomended.

Valspar is also good. Check out the mismixed paint at Lowes and they sell a gallon for five dollars. Its also a thick paint that slides on like butter.

I know they have a low voc type at least but are not currently using it since there is no Home Depot in the area here where its sold, but the very best paint I've ever used is Behr. I would still go with the two coat method and use a primer though, especially with drywall. Behr takes a lot less coats and wears very well.

Even if its low voc, beware the cheap paints. They tend to be very watery and your 12 dollar can will paint less than a good 20 dollar can, and you'll do lots and lots of coats.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 34,422,661 times
I used Sherwin Williams Harmony. I'm not sure I would use anything else. It covers extremely well, it has held up to toddlers and dogs, the odor was barely noticeable while wet and was completely gone the next day. Very satisfied customer. If there is a better paint, I don't see how it could significantly outperform the S/W Harmony.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Thanks for your responses!

So no one has had any issues with fishy-type odors after drying? I've read this can be a big problem for no and low VOC paints.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,405,280 times
Only one I know of is Naturalaire. Powdered pigments.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,058,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
So no one has had any issues with fishy-type odors after drying?
Every room in my house has been repainted with Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore low VOC paint. I've never experienced that smell.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Every room in my house has been repainted with Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore low VOC paint. I've never experienced that smell.
ditto.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM

How about Mythic Paint? I've read good things about that brand.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
How about Mythic Paint? I've read good things about that brand.
I've heard that it is good paint that performs as advertised but it is difficult to find and a little spendy *from a green builder*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or