U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM

8,587 posts, read 8,500,535 times

Advertisements

This new tariff will place the real cost of wind on the developer....About time!!!
Wind Watch: FERC sticks it to Midwest ISO wind developers (http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/12/08/ferc-sticks-it-to-midwest-iso-wind-developers/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,589,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
This new tariff will place the real cost of wind on the developer....About time!!!
Wind Watch: FERC sticks it to Midwest ISO wind developers (http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2009/12/08/ferc-sticks-it-to-midwest-iso-wind-developers/ - broken link)
that story is from December of 2009...

Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,111,155 times
...and essentially what this means is that the increased cost will be passed on to the consumer.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,115,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
...and essentially what this means is that the increased cost will be passed on to the consumer.
And since most of the energy generated in SD is sold out of state it would spread those costs out to people that have no idea from where their energy is being generated.

Would this also affect small wind producers if it were determined that upgrades need to be made some time after their systems for residential net metering were installed? I wonder.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
that story is from December of 2009...
Is this current enough?
http://www.mmua.org/news/June%202%202010.pdf

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][LEFT]The new tariff requires that
windpower developers in the
MISO region pay 90 percent of
the cost of transmission upgrades
for projects rated 345 kV and
higher. For projects rated lower
than 345 kW, generators are required[/LEFT]
to pay the entire cost.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And since most of the energy generated in SD is sold out of state it would spread those costs out to people that have no idea from where their energy is being generated.

Would this also affect small wind producers if it were determined that upgrades need to be made some time after their systems for residential net metering were installed? I wonder.
It appears so...But you are correct. Utilities that had no interest in or gained any value from wind projects were haveing to ask thier customers to pay for transmission line upgrade...The fact that developers will pass down the cost to thier customers on the East cost or whever will let those people that it is not as cheap a source as they were told....
http://www.mmua.org/news/June%202%202010.pdf
[For projects rated lower than 345 kW, generators are required
to pay the entire cost

Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM

30,274 posts, read 27,716,242 times
Seems the costs of anything always comes down to the consumer, there is no free lunch in this world. Pay me now or pay me later but you end up paying for the service of energy that is produced by a utility corporation whether gas, oil, coal, wind, or solar. Unless you get off the grid you are subject to charges for energy and transmission of it.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM

7,970 posts, read 11,619,906 times
I second there is no free lunch - ever! So many people just think of the most immediate non-educated thought and think they've got it figured out - "how come 'they' just don't do this?There is always some sort of cost. Often several of different types.
I'm not anti wind per se but it is also bad for birds.
Wind farms go where the wind is. Many birds use wind to migrate. Bad for birds.
Organic farming? Can't feed the population we are at much less where we are headed.
Always some sort of cost. No matter the issue.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:04 PM

30,274 posts, read 27,716,242 times
I agree about the birds and migration associated with the wind generating farms and their locations. At the same time, we also have to think about our food basket of the Gulf and the loss of all fish for the next ?? years if things ever improve with the oil disasters. We need to learn to live with our environment and avoid oil spells, chemical discharge into the water tables etc. Picking the right locations for any type of energy generating source is important for everyone.

The cost of energy is always going to be paid for one way or another.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Seems the costs of anything always comes down to the consumer, there is no free lunch in this world. Pay me now or pay me later but you end up paying for the service of energy that is produced by a utility corporation whether gas, oil, coal, wind, or solar. Unless you get off the grid you are subject to charges for energy and transmission of it.
You are correct, everyone has to pay at some point but the reason for the rule is to make the correct people pay. If you want to have a renewable energy source you should pay for it, all of it, installation,transmission,distribution all the way down the line.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living