Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with using a wash rag? Works great in our house.

We also use real soap with no artifical fragrances, dyes, perfumes, etc. in it and also no petroleum products or phosphates. I really love Sappo Hill and Dr. Bronner's soaps. Sappo Hill makes really good exfoliating oatmeal soap.

Go read about the damaging environmental effects of chlorine bleach. It's toxic stuff. It's not good for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Actually a wash rag would be my first choice. But they don't really hold a lot of liquid soap type lather somehow.
I did some quick googling trying to figure out exactly what the difference is and why liquid soap doesn't leave scum on your tub and bar soaps do but all I found was everybody agreeing that liquid soap doesn't leave scum. I hate cleaning and not having to clean my tub as much seems greener. However if the reason liquid soap doesn't leave scum is because of some weird chemical or something than no. But I haven't found that piece of the puzzle yet.
So meanwhile I'm still using liquid soap and contemplating ways I can make a washcloth more like a bath scrunchy thing so it will hold more liquid soap lather - which must not be as robust as bar lather somehow

Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I like using the liquid type bath soap (with out the microbeads that hurt fish) but I don't like having to use the plastic scrunchy things. Well I mean I don't environmentally, they tend to come unraveled and after retying a few times I just can't get it to stay together - so I'm throwing away plastic netting which I hate.
I've tried washcloths, doesn't work all that well. I thought about trying to figure out how to sew a washcloth "ball" with strips, reminescent of an automatic car wash LOL but I can't sew.
Any other products out there anyone know about??
Try using finely ground cornmeal. I add either bodywash or honey to it and scrub away. Works great on knees and elbows, but I use it all over.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:15 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
I like the imitation sisal washcloths. They are mesh-like so use less soap and lather better than a regular washcloth. They dry quickly, last for a long time, don't unravel or fall apart and can be bleached if you want. They are $3-$4 in the beauty and bath section OR (big frugal secret here....) I have found them for $1 in the auto section where they are sold as 'bug remover clothes' to wash your car. They are EXACTLY the same thing.

If you want something similar but more natural, I'd go with a real sisal or jute washcloth.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 AM

14 posts, read 40,055 times
I use a washcloth, no soap. My skin was getting all dry from body washes and stuff, but it turns out the washcloth does a real good job of scrubbing the nasty off all by itself and my skin isn't dry anymore. I bet a sponge could work too. The thing with sponges is you can't just let them sit around WET, that's how they get so nasty and full of bacteria. You have to rinse them off and squeeze them out when you're done so they dry in a few hours and don't have time to fester.
The microwaving works too. Dank sponges come out smelling clean.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Loofas were HUGE in the 70s. Then there were all these reports about how unsanitary they were. Sorry, it's been 35 years and I don't remember all the details. But they were gross enough that I threw mine away and haven't used one since.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:00 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Loofas were HUGE in the 70s. Then there were all these reports about how unsanitary they were. Sorry, it's been 35 years and I don't remember all the details. But they were gross enough that I threw mine away and haven't used one since.
Yep. I use washcloths and launder them often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living