Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,676,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So for those that look at environmentalists with disdain i have to wonder if there is any point where you would become environmentally conscious.would it be after all the fish are fished to the point of not being a viable industry?
Trees cut to the point of serious erosion problems all over the country,
Hundreds or thousands of species brought to the point of extiction.
A favorite park in your neighborhood being turned into a housing developement, a local river being polluted to the pont that its just a sewer.
I'm sure under the right circumstances most people who now wouldnt consider themselves environmentalists would become involved with maintaining a clean and healthy eco system even at the risk of being called a tree hugger if the benefits for doing so hits close enough to home..

PS. I think the question/debate about global warming isnt whether its happening its whether we're causing it.
There are many shades of environmental conscientiousness. To me, the disdain is for those who abandon reason.

Conservation and human development can co-exist to a large extent. Smart legislation, common-sense, cooperation and compromise is how we arrive at solutions - craziness and finger pointing just turns otherwise receptive people off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,079,343 times
Quote:
So for those that look at environmentalists with disdain i have to wonder if there is any point where you would become environmentally conscious.would it be after all the fish are fished to the point of not being a viable industry?
Trees cut to the point of serious erosion problems all over the country,
Hundreds or thousands of species brought to the point of extiction.
A favorite park in your neighborhood being turned into a housing developement, a local river being polluted to the pont that its just a sewer.
I'm sure under the right circumstances most people who now wouldnt consider themselves environmentalists would become involved with maintaining a clean and healthy eco system even at the risk of being called a tree hugger if the benefits for doing so hits close enough to home..PS. I think the question/debate about global warming isnt whether its happening its whether we're causing it.
I think you're on to something there. For most people, "the environment" is a somewhat nebulous concept. That's not a judgement, it's just a fact of modern life. Many folks spend almost all of their time a)in a car b)in an office c) in a house. All climate controlled. The closest they get to "nature" is watching Animal Planet or perhaps driving through a National Park on summer vacations. They may even "camp"; in a 25 ft motor home.

They really only stop to think about environmental factors when it impacts them directly. Let a neighbor announce that he plans to start a large-scale pig-farm down the road and watch how many new "environmentalists" come out of the woodwork.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,764,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I think you're on to something there. For most people, "the environment" is a somewhat nebulous concept. That's not a judgement, it's just a fact of modern life. Many folks spend almost all of their time a)in a car b)in an office c) in a house. All climate controlled. The closest they get to "nature" is watching Animal Planet or perhaps driving through a National Park on summer vacations. They may even "camp"; in a 25 ft motor home.

They really only stop to think about environmental factors when it impacts them directly. Let a neighbor announce that he plans to start a large-scale pig-farm down the road and watch how many new "environmentalists" come out of the woodwork.
Imagine the HOA's reaction.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,000,439 times
Smile It's cuz they're sappy !

Thanks to OSB, not as much plywood is needed as in the past so small fast growing trees can provide replacement sources of wood to allow more protection for the old growth forest areas.
Half my friends and neighbors earn their living either protecting, growing, or cutting trees. That being said and to answer the OP in a humorous manor I would have to say that I don't hate tree huggers and don't believe in hate anyway so I can't really answer properly but however, I do look like I'm hugging a tree when I smell the bark of conifers for my health, it's called "Wood Air Breathing" a Japanese practice.
I just get bothered when a tree-hugger thinks I'm a tree, gives me a hug and I get sap all over my new shirt !
Tree-huggers beware, if you sap up my new Wal-Mart shirt I'll sue you and you'll have to live in a trailer in the woods like me instead of your big city condo !

Here is what the forest looks like in much of my neck of the woods. Notice how many lovely Western Larch conifers there are in their fall colors before the needles drop for the winter.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TDzCytEfdSI/AAAAAAAAB7I/zBCDQGupBL8/WesternLarch%20in%20the%20fall.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,639,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
So do you hate farmers, ranchers, etc., who "kill animals for profit" (i.e., cows, pigs, chickens...)?

Japan lodged a protest to the moratorium the same as Norway (and Iceland). However, the U.S. threatened various trade sanctions, under pressure from various groups. They came to an agreement with Reagan they would not openly whale commercially, but they'd use the "research" permits. They'd be openly commercially whaling the same as Norway and Iceland had the U.S. not fooled around and created this situation...

The buffalo were intentionally killed off to destroy the Native Americans. It's not a good comparison.

Minke whales breed fairly rapidly. Some other whales can't compete with them.

The Cove was a propaganda film with ties to sea shepherd, etc., and is not exactly an unbiased, reliable source of info...
It's not just about Minke whales...it's about all whales, all marine animals and wildlife, and respecting nature. If people need to hunt for food thats one thing, but the way the japanese and Norwegians, etc are doing it is careless and ruthless. How would you like to be shot with a harpoon and suffer up to 20-25 minutes until you died? Or be a little seal caught in an illegal long line fishing netand drowned ? Or how about the place you live turning to sh** because it's so polluted and your body is full of mercury and making you sick?
I never said I hated anyone-YOU are saying that. I may hate the actions of people but I try to forgivethose people their ignorance.
Buffalo were killed for their hide, and the rest left to rot. It was greed and carelessness. Just like the people killing the elephants for their tusls today.
You can state that The Cove was propaganda so I guess I could say the same about the videos you brought up too, people who are against Sea Shepards good work are going to endorse them......
I guess you just don't get it. It isn't just about the whales, or other animals, or trees, it's about every thing and everyone in this world being connected and us needing to be more concerned annd take care of it better than we have been!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,382,113 times
Quote:
Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it

Because many of the "tree huggers" fail to realize that WE are a part of nature. The reality is nothing we do is un natural. It is very true that we are destroying the planet but distancing humanity from nature is not the answer.
Most people I'd label tree hugger are not as interested in respecting the planet as they are in forcing their perceptions down everyones throat.
I get alot of BS from tree huggers because I hunt. They refuse to aknowledge the good that hunting/fishing does for the environment directly by taking out excess numbers of animals who would starve or get run over anyway, refuse to aknowledge that more is done environmentally with funds donated & spent by sportsman than any eco friendly tree hugger group ever can be. Millions of acres have been preserved nationwide with funds donated & collected from hunters/fishermen. These lands are open for everyones use and often are protected from hunting.
To really respect & preserve nature in a meaningful way you need to realize that WE are a part of it.

Generally they are self centered opinionated ignorant sociopaths who just need something to rant about. Many people fall for the BS but try finding something meaningfully positive that PETA or the like has done.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,886,973 times
Its not the ' tree huggers ' it's the hypocracy of politics involved . Wheres the greens when they are selling our water to foreign nations ? How about letting foreign nations drill, mine and take control of our wetlands, forest ad resources ?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,376,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
It's not just about Minke whales...it's about all whales, all marine animals and wildlife, and respecting nature. If people need to hunt for food thats one thing, but the way the japanese and Norwegians, etc are doing it is careless and ruthless. How would you like to be shot with a harpoon and suffer up to 20-25 minutes until you died? Or be a little seal caught in an illegal long line fishing netand drowned ? Or how about the place you live turning to sh** because it's so polluted and your body is full of mercury and making you sick?
You can respect Nature and still hunt. Seems some forget humans are hunter-gatherers and have hunted whales for at least thousands of years.

It would be helpful to actually understand how those 20-25 minutes are being measured: movement. Reflexes continue movement in a whale well after the brain is entirely destroyed. The whale may appear to be moving but is dead. Waiting for all movement to end is the only practical, safe way in the ocean of determining when it's safe to haul in the whale.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | 'When do whales die?' ask experts

Most pollution in the sea is not from fishing/hunting, it's from petroleum spills, dumping by industry...

Quote:
I never said I hated anyone-YOU are saying that. I may hate the actions of people but I try to forgivethose people their ignorance.
Buffalo were killed for their hide, and the rest left to rot. It was greed and carelessness. Just like the people killing the elephants for their tusls today.
You can state that The Cove was propaganda so I guess I could say the same about the videos you brought up too, people who are against Sea Shepards good work are going to endorse them......
I guess you just don't get it. It isn't just about the whales, or other animals, or trees, it's about every thing and everyone in this world being connected and us needing to be more concerned annd take care of it better than we have been!
Supporting people who engage in violent terrorism is hate in my book.

There was a market for buffalo hides but the main reason behind it was to starve out the Indians. The federal government promoted killing them off.

Say what you will but the Cove was blatantly propaganda. The video I posted speaks for itself, showing Watson a liar, and ramming a ship. Watch whale wars enough though and you'll see him lying all the time (like boarding a ship then claiming it was kidnapping). Sea shepherd is not doing "good work," they're violent criminals.

I don't think you get it, I find the environment quite important, but I base my opinions on science and reason, not the emotional nonsense sea shepherd bases theirs on.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 AM

13,535 posts, read 9,950,565 times
Quote:
Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it
That which is good for the environment is very rarely economically beneficial.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,023,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Generally they are self centered opinionated ignorant sociopaths who just need something to rant about. Many people fall for the BS but try finding something meaningfully positive that PETA or the like has done.
This was the kind of rhetoric i was trying to understand when i first posted the topic, so because i'm environmentally aware and have a respect for conservation for said environment i'm considered a self centered opinionated ignorant sociopath?,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living