Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,845,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
By the way, the Federal Government absolutely, positively, without question does not have less overhead than any public corporation.
Again, this is either naivete or willful delusion.

Prove it, and let's just cut the bs and for a big one: health care.

Approx 35 cents on the dollar goes to the insurance companies. Compare that to medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,845,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Evidently I am having comprehension problems with that portion of the history of federal taxation that exists only in your head. If you graph historic tax rates against historic tax revenues and adjust for inflation there is not a statistically significant increase in revenue associated with an increase in tax. Higher taxes suppress transactions, suppress earnings, suppress investment and suppress tax revenues.
You have a point as far as taxes which go to pointless endeavors like our bloated military-industrial complex.

You are 180 degrees off base as far as taxes that are invested in national infrastructure such as bridges, education, natural resources.

And since you started this with the notion that companies moving offshore to avoid paying taxes is good, you're really just spinning in circles.

$13,000,000,000,000.

That's one nasty number. And loopholes and tax cuts, in combination with grotesque spending on the military, explain it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
when you mess with people's money you make them angry.
we are the land of opportunity. the notion that its not manifest destiny, the notion that we dont have to slaughter everything that gets in the way of that opportunity is new and not always well received.
god gives us dominion over the earth, but god also gives obligations for proper management over the garden of eden. we are held accountable, the strong protect the weak, is part of it.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,699,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
You have a point as far as taxes which go to pointless endeavors like our bloated military-industrial complex.

You are 180 degrees off base as far as taxes that are invested in national infrastructure such as bridges, education, natural resources.

And since you started this with the notion that companies moving offshore to avoid paying taxes is good, you're really just spinning in circles.

$13,000,000,000,000.

That's one nasty number. And loopholes and tax cuts, in combination with grotesque spending on the military, explain it.
We are obviously having a major communication problem. I'm sure it's mostly you, but I'm a little biased.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM

25,400 posts, read 18,524,462 times
Pretty much everything the government touches goes to hell. It becomes inefficient and wasteful. Anyone who can't see that is not being honest. And it costs ten times what it should. That's what happens when you appoint a committee to study the most efficient way to wipe your **s, a czar to choose the proper toilet paper, an inspector to keep the act code and regulation compliant, a bureaucrat to record the height of the splash, a hazmat crew to monitor gaseous emissions, and a community organizer team to ensure the flushing efficiency is fair for everyone in the community, rather than just sitting down and doing the job.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
I love it when people talk about "the government" as if it's not made up of people just like them (if, perhaps, not collectively sharing their identical opinion, which I think is where the real rub comes in).

Makes a great bugaboo to wave around to try to achieve complete consensus with one's own opinion, too, I've noticed.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,777,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Pretty much everything the government touches goes to hell. It becomes inefficient and wasteful. Anyone who can't see that is not being honest. And it costs ten times what it should. That's what happens when you appoint a committee to study the most efficient way to wipe your **s, a czar to choose the proper toilet paper, an inspector to keep the act code and regulation compliant, a bureaucrat to record the height of the splash, a hazmat crew to monitor gaseous emissions, and a community organizer team to ensure the flushing efficiency is fair for everyone in the community, rather than just sitting down and doing the job.
Indeed. As quickly as government starts spending the taxpayers money in large amounts, it looks like free money.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 AM

25,400 posts, read 18,524,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I love it when people talk about "the government" as if it's not made up of people ...
People? Is that what you call them? I'd say more like some horrifying variant of space aliens or something. Their logic and actions certainly don't appear to be from this planet, unless we're talking an insane asylum or something.

Heck, I'd rather deal with the tree huggers--they often rant, but so does a fly buzz around my head at times. The government, on the other hand, is more like an army of six foot long mosquitoes looking for their next meal.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,259,366 times
And as long as you consider "the government" that way, instead of perceiving it as made up of people just like you, the less likely anything is to change, because that very perception gets in the way of change, if change is, indeed, what you really want. Some people find that perception of "the government" as leviathan, as a single entity monster, because it CAN be very useful, as I said, as a bugaboo to scare people into going along with what they, the "anti-government" leviathan, want them to think.

As soon as you stop thinking of it as a single entity and start thinking of it as a bunch of people, ways to really effect change become much more easy to see. Of course, that then means that if successful, there would be no more boogeyman to scare people with, and a whole new one would have to be created to fill that space for that purpose.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,390,078 times
I'm with ChrisC on this one. The "government" is a monolithic enterprise. At its worst, it is a bunch of individual people carrying out their own interpretation of what the rules are. At least as a monolith it is predictable and avoidable. But when government acts as individuals act, you have not only tyranny, but maniacal tyranny.

I suppose you could guess, I support smaller government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living