U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,211,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe NYC is green because it keeps 8 million people out of my woods.
Now that's one way of looking at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,613,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe NYC is green because it keeps 8 million people out of my woods.
tried to rep ya, but I gotta spread it around a bit more first

Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,164,133 times
Nice conversation. I haven't been in any city worthy of the name in nealy 40 years. So that was interesting points to me and new. I like arctichomesteader's replies too.

I just try to do what I think works best, like compost wastes I can make soil of, cut down the too many on this place White Pine to allow the natural hard woods come back. Once this was all stripped of soil and clear cut to be a fair grounds horse race track. Then abandoned in 1930 to grow up in mostly white pine, as sort of un-natural island in the woods.

Buying store bought foods happens maybe 3 to 4weeks apart, and work is right here, so unless there is a pleasure ride on a motorcycle we may not drive for 2 weeks or so on end.

I never really thought much about being green, wanting to be, or that a city dweller might out green me. BTW dinner tonight is all the silver queen I can hold, and a beer of course.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 PM

12,545 posts, read 18,387,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I do support rebuilding our railroad system, etc., to more efficiently travel/transport people and goods, versus cars and large trucks for the bulk of things as done now. Even when the automobile first got popular most people would take a train long distance versus drive.

I don't think Europe's model will ever work perfectly here. European countries are tiny compared to our large land area. You can drive days on end in one direction and thousands of miles and never leave our country. Not possible in Europe. Our large size helps and hinders us in various ways, just as Russia's size has always done there, China's, etc.

Ideally people would eat what's in season from local sources and preserve it for the winter.

I don't know what the answer is but it's not in the cities we have today. I think energy issues may eventually wipe out such large cities.
well, basically you have eastern US is one europe, and west US is another europe. take out pieces of central US, which is largely just cruising through fields, and you could easily set up the US to work very similarly to Europe.

It's sickening to me that i can't hope on a train and get around the eastern US relatively easily. it takes twice as long in most places to cover similar distance to a trip in europe.

european cities are very bicycle friendly and pedestrian friendly.

i don't know, i think people are missing a lot of things about a city. there's a city in europe that uses the heat generated from the metro system to heat most of their office buildings, when heat's not necessary, they capture it as energy. there's a lot of technology available to create a lot of renewable energy in a city based on movement of people alone. not to mention the solar capabilities of many windows and rooftops.

but, this is only if we actually invest in that type of infrastructure.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM

26,295 posts, read 17,215,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Maybe because like many so-called "causes", they become beholden to Liberals, no matter what the cost to others. Take the oil spill, where are the protests? Where is PETA standing up for the oil soaked animals? Where are the tree hugger's decrying the natural diaster that this oil spill is? Where are the DC protests by the tens of thousands over this? Where are they? They are sitting on their asses, because we have a Democrat in office. It's so funny to watch them get "organized" when a Republican is in office, but when a Democrat is in office, it's, "time to be quiet time"......
No quite...

National environmental groups -- including the Sierra Club and the Natural Resources Defense Fund -- have rushed volunteers and scientific experts to the Gulf of Mexico to help with the cleanup in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon rig's collapse. But they are also holding news conferences, filming TV spots and organizing protest rallies, all aimed at persuading lawmakers to block new offshore oil drilling and pass legislation curbing U.S. greenhouse gas emissions.
In oil spill, environmental groups see opportunity for changes

The International Bird Rescue Research Center
The National Wildlife Federation
Seabird Sanctuary
The National Audubon Society
Matter of Trust, a non-profit
Field Notes - Gulf of Mexico oil spill: How to help

Gulf Oil Spill Response | The SCA - Student Conservation Association

Just for starters
Where do you get your misinformation from?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 AM

34,239 posts, read 41,268,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Just for starters
Where do you get your misinformation from?
Dont waste your time sickofnyc
His rant is just classic right-wing knee jerk Limbaugh psycho babble.Can you feel the typical underlying hate?
The only reason some one like that would come to a green living section is to troll as he has absolutely no interest in green living and likes to spew his venom and hatred at those of us who are interested in green living.
Have a nice day

Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 82,015 times
I believe the crux of the issue is the same for most all controversies. A line is drawn in the sand, driving each side farther apart. This creates an inability to find any common ground.

Government screws the pooch as well. They legislate based on dollars put up by special interest.

There is no way for humans to exist without some impact on the earth. However, I think we are surely capable of having a lesser impact.

We should continue the search for alternative energy sources, at the same time not shy away from refining our current sources. However, as with all issues, follow the money to determine which way the pendulum will swing.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,111,839 times
I'd say the recent "trash police" thread is another reason to dislike treehuggers.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,588,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'd say the recent "trash police" thread is another reason to dislike treehuggers.
Read my last comment. Your definition of "treehugger" may need to be widened considerably when you start including every rural population sick of having to take large urban area landfill waste.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 AM

34,239 posts, read 41,268,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Maybe an explanation as i dont think you want people and industry throwing all manner of trash and waste products anywhere they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or