Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,829,777 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago an eco-terrorist group was responsible for the arson of a couple of lumber yards in my city.

Think about that for a minute.....they burnt up already cut lumber that was processed and ready for retail sale. They did not save any trees in the process because all that timber lost, as well as the buildings destroyed, had to be replaced, thus using more natural resources. What a waste.

Another incident I recall was the release of hundreds of rabbits and chinchillas from a farm in NE Utah. Eco-terrorists raided the farm and released the animals claiming that they deserved to be free. These domesticated animals had no survival or foraging skills and promptly became coyote food or wandered off and died of starvation. How was that compassionate I ask?

It only takes a radical few to color the rest of a movement in a very ugly light. Especially when more mainstream environmentalists fail to condem the actions of the radical factions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,835,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A couple of years ago an eco-terrorist group was responsible for the arson of a couple of lumber yards in my city.

Think about that for a minute.....they burnt up already cut lumber that was processed and ready for retail sale. They did not save any trees in the process because all that timber lost, as well as the buildings destroyed, had to be replaced, thus using more natural resources. What a waste.

Another incident I recall was the release of hundreds of rabbits and chinchillas from a farm in NE Utah. Eco-terrorists raided the farm and released the animals claiming that they deserved to be free. These domesticated animals had no survival or foraging skills and promptly became coyote food or wandered off and died of starvation. How was that compassionate I ask?

It only takes a radical few to color the rest of a movement in a very ugly light. Especially when more mainstream environmentalists fail to condem the actions of the radical factions.
In my area we have had eco-terrorism as well, a huge development under construction was burned in an deliberate arson attack. It made national headlines, polluted the sky and land and the developers of course had to unnecessarily use up many thousands of board feet of lumber to re-build. It was roundly condemned by all the mainstream environmental groups as all these attacks always are. If you support this kind of stuff you are a nut!

Some of my previous comments have admittedly been a bit of hyperbole, but just to show the ridiculousness of others calling someone who is environmentally aware a militia, terrorist or murderer.

There are no easy solutions and choices living in a culture of consumerism and capitalism (which I celebrate and support) but trying to open one's mind to other options that are more sustainable shouldn't necessarily be so castigated so readily.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times
My original post was intended to understand why any one expressing any kind of environmental betterment of the Earth is looked at by some as some sort of whack job and for some even painted with the same brush as the guys who break the law by taking environmentalism to the extremes, i've often seen in various forums people being vilified and labeled as tree huggers for merely driving a hybrid car.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,512,553 times
It comes from the same place all hates come from: ignorance.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM

507 posts, read 876,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it

People hate those who are doing what they know,at some level. are doing things they know they should be doing but lack the moral or intellectual courage to do.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
In my area we have had eco-terrorism as well, a huge development under construction was burned in an deliberate arson attack. It made national headlines, polluted the sky and land and the developers of course had to unnecessarily use up many thousands of board feet of lumber to re-build. It was roundly condemned by all the mainstream environmental groups as all these attacks always are. If you support this kind of stuff you are a nut!

Some of my previous comments have admittedly been a bit of hyperbole, but just to show the ridiculousness of others calling someone who is environmentally aware a militia, terrorist or murderer.

There are no easy solutions and choices living in a culture of consumerism and capitalism (which I celebrate and support) but trying to open one's mind to other options that are more sustainable shouldn't necessarily be so castigated so readily.
I don't think people in this day and age have completely closed minds. I think they are open to sustainable options as long as they are given the choice whether to participate. No one likes the government raiding their pocketbooks to subsidize "sustainable" energy that is far more expensive and less efficient than current energy sources.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
People hate those who are doing what they know,at some level. are doing things they know they should be doing but lack the moral or intellectual courage to do.
What a crock!

Old 07-08-2010, 07:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,269,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So the term "tree hugger" represents the extremist elements of the environmentalists,not the guy like me who is trying to live a more environmentally friendly life by recycling,using an economical car,using less energy to heat and cool his house,being an advocate of cleaner fuels like wind power and solar power etc.
This. +1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Obviously, someone who thinks as we do are the equivalent to "militias and terrorists"!

No fly list for us!

What a crock to ascribe the most radical fringe elements of a movement to describe it in total.
I don't recall anyone having said that here. There has been more hyperbole and insult from the supporters of the "tree-huggers" here than from those against them. I think most people don't have any animosity whatsoever for someone who is trying to live life and waste as few resources as possible. But as I said earlier, the few give a bad name to the many on both sides. The political climate as a whole in America has been taken over by extremists, whether on the left or right. Too bad, because most of the good people are somewhere in the middle wishing they would just shut the heck up.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 PM

507 posts, read 876,707 times
Quote:
What a crock!

Hit close to home I see,at the unconcious level at least.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,239,535 times
Quote:

Well, here's your mainstream environmental professional who is condeming the acts you speak of. Arson is illegal, dangerous and I hope the guilty were caught, charged and convicted. It was an idiotic act. Do you have a newspaper article on the story? I'm only the state over from MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living