U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM

34,258 posts, read 41,311,916 times

Advertisements

If we have to get every single persons take on an issue before making generalizations on the topic its going to take a while to talk to 350 million people.

As different posters have different views on what represents a tree hugger maybe the term tree hugger for purposes in this topic should be more clearly defined.
For me its someone who tries to live with respect to our only home The Earth and its environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It would do you some good to cite facts, not fiction, concerning the Prius.

First of all the Prius trounces every currently made car in fuel economy. Whether via EPA ratings, independent magazine tests, or ordinary consumers the Prius uses less fuel per mile than any other vehicle that uses gasoline or diesel. That includes the Smart and Jetta TDI.

The Prius battery cost is now about $3000, not $10,000. And they last about 180,000 miles.

I don't own a Prius because it doesn't suit me. But it is an interesting car and I continue to follow it's development.
Eventually, the truth will out:

Current industry estimates say the battery pack in the all-electric Nissan Leaf compact car coming out in December costs Nissan Motor Co. about $15,600.

High Battery Cost Curbs Electric Cars - WSJ.com

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Eventually, the truth will out:

Current industry estimates say the battery pack in the all-electric Nissan Leaf compact car coming out in December costs Nissan Motor Co. about $15,600.

High Battery Cost Curbs Electric Cars - WSJ.com
I can see it now, a whole new "black market". Hybrid cars getting stripped of their batteries and the batteries sold. So much for those reduced insurance rates for hybrids once battery theft becomes an industry.

The other thing no one considers is the metals mined to make the batteries and that impact is just as bad as coal mining.

Truth be told, most "renewable energy" is no more green that traditional hydro-carbon fuels, the only real difference being the renewable factor.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,234,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I can see it now, a whole new "black market". Hybrid cars getting stripped of their batteries and the batteries sold. So much for those reduced insurance rates for hybrids once battery theft becomes an industry.

The other thing no one considers is the metals mined to make the batteries and that impact is just as bad as coal mining.

Truth be told, most "renewable energy" is no more green that traditional hydro-carbon fuels, the only real difference being the renewable factor.
So rightMOgal! Toyota lied about the price of the batteries to cover the issue and listed them for sale in their parts department for $3000 even though you can't get one. It was just BS so as not to scare off the stupid rubes who fall for this stuff.

How'd you like to have a six year old Leaf that needs a $15000 battery to keep it on the road.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,453,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
2) I work for it, I pay for it. If the exhaust system I choose for my vehicle sounds gggood to me, I am the one who listens to it 24/7. If the system I choose makes the car/truck have more power and gets better mpg, but it doesn't have a fraud of frauds catilytic convertor, so the helll what. But the treehuggers want that vehicle banned from the road.
I also listen to it when folks have exhaust systems that make so much noise that it wakes up the neighbors.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:23 PM

451 posts, read 846,401 times
Quote:
Why do some hate tree huggers?
Heck, that's an easy one:

'Cause there are always a few holdouts that insist on liking everybody!

mg

Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM

108 posts, read 114,013 times
Actually I am not really a tree hugger- nor a rabid environmentalist- not a 'veggan' either

I do believe in mainstream science- and that science is warning us of growing energy imbalances from a warming climate globally- the risks we face from CO2 rising this rapibly are significant.

If we do not reduce the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by 2050- by a significant amount- the problems we will face will make the events of the 20th century look like childs play.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,398,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
So rightMOgal! Toyota lied about the price of the batteries to cover the issue and listed them for sale in their parts department for $3000 even though you can't get one. It was just BS so as not to scare off the stupid rubes who fall for this stuff.

How'd you like to have a six year old Leaf that needs a $15000 battery to keep it on the road.
how many people do you know that have had to replace their Prius battery so far?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,763 times
Getting back to the original question. I'm old, and would like to give others information that may not be known by many. Believe it or not, Tree Huggers were known in the 1960's and later there were the hippies, YES, hippies actually were not part of the '60's they were not around until the late '60's about 1968.(On the East coast anyway) Why do I mention them? Well it goes like this. The extreme differences between one age group and another, can be quite extreme, and I doubt that many think about this, but it effects us all.
I come from a time when all of my close friends from high school, were going off to Viet Nam almost within hours of graduation. You HAD to, because you got drafted, no choice. There were not yet any marches for causes, just duty.
In time, a lot of those friends came home in body bags, by the thousands, our good friends were gone. Many with a wife, and some with children. It was not easy. Then came the times of many movements and causes. The people that wanted to kill the draft, pass out flowers in airports, and have a great time at Woodstock. By then I was married with a child too, and had friends that still had husbands coming home in body bags. Contrary to popular myth, few were hippies in the early and mid '60's but we got dubbed hippies and, you got it, Tree Huggers. ALL BECAUSE OF A FEW PEOPLE THAT GOT BORED WITH PASSING OUT FLOWERS IN ARIPORTS AND STARTED A NEW "CAUSE" IT WAS ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT!!! (It didn't last long back then)
Let me tell you, if you want a reason for why so many have no patience with tree huggers, try to think of a generation that is starting life, with constant death in it, friends, and yes, even brothers going off to war, and coming home dead, and see if you will have any patience with someone that wants to make caring about the trees and the environment an issue.
All of these issues came on us at a very stressful and sorrowful time, and when no one would even talk about the war that was going on. Hows that for getting a lifelong hate for even the subject of environment.
I ADORE GOD'S GREEN EARTH, and would never do it any harm. However, to be dubbed as a protester, hippie, or tree hugger, for things that were so out of our thinking at the time, is the strongest of insults to our entire generation.
Is the issue important now? Indeed it is, but it would do so many, so much good, if the environment issue was not shoved down a lot of peoples throats. None of us have to prove that caring for our homes, the land we live on, is important. It's a no brainer.
Maybe someone has bit your head off because of the topic, but let me tell you, if your talking to someone like me, you can't say environment without me getting full of old memories of friend that were forgotten because of ISSUES. People and loved ones are always the most important, then you can go hug a tree, I actually have one that I really do hug, it's my favorite, and it's one that I saved from certain death.
Today I sit under that tree and remember my old friends, the ones that never came home, the ones that suffered so much after the war, and were never the same again. So, am I wrong to love human beings more than the environment, I don't think so, will I make this world a better place for my grandchildren, you bet ya.
So there it is, just one story, that may explain why some just can't take certain saying with a grain of salt.
The waters run deep, the sorrow stays with you, and I think it would be much better for us to just share our love of nature, and leave the word environment, and the fighting over it, out of the picture.

I hope I have not caused any harm to anyone here, I love the earth the Good Lord has given us, but I will never be able to respect those that make a religion over the environment. It's a beautiful gift that I plan to protect my entire life, but I won't fight with anyone over the subject either. I'll just keep on plant my small half acre with all kinds of goodies to share with my grandchildren, and teach them to love it too. I plan to pass the love on for generations to come.

Forgive me for the sorrows that won't let me take this issue lightly.

Now go buy some seeds, and be sure to plant them this spring.

God Bless Everyone.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 AM

20,391 posts, read 37,728,735 times
I have to disagree with some things in this post.

"Hippies" existed in California (and to an extent in Texas) as early as the mid-60's -I can't speak personally for the East Coast, but I did know people who grew up there who seem to indicate that they were there then. I was one several years before 1968. And, yes, we had friends coming home in body bags, and friends coming home drastically changed (just as people do now, do NOT forget that), and we were protesting against that war, but we also cared about the environment. (I can remember dates spent cleaning up trash in parks, for example, and students climbing up in trees and camping out to prevent them from being bulldozed, things like that.) It was very much a part of the hippie movement to love the earth and care about it, part of loving life and seeing things in "new" ways. (Of course, as we get older, we realize there's nothing new under the sun, nor a different way of seeing it, and that the young generation will ALWAYS think they invented everything.)

The shift seemed to start around 1963, with Kennedy's assassination. At least, that's when I, personally, can remember things starting to change.

I absolutely agree that the people should not be forgotten, any more than the trees should. They're both important, and NEITHER deserves to be turned into the latest "issue" for someone to beat others about the head and shoulders with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or