U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,237,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how many people do you know that have had to replace their Prius battery so far?

Toyota has recalled the Prius twice for battery issues. Of course they are not about about to make a consumer pay at this point, and, they have falsely listed the battery price at $3200 in the parts listings. Try to buy one for $3200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,396,963 times
I am not a tree-hugger.

I do garden organically, because I like fresh fruits and vegies untainted by poisons. However, I use cow and horse and chicken poop to garden, something most tree-huggers are appalled by and simply don't understand.

Neighbors told me that the person who owned this house before me literally chained herself to a Maple tree on the berm between our current property and the road, because the village wanted to cut it down. I told them point blank that 1) the tree blocked the sunlight from my house and yard, 2) the tree was not mine, since it was not on my property, and 3) the tree was dangerously rotted and needed to come down. The village was finally able to cut it down (much to the outspoken horror of the previous owner). We even helped. The truly horrific part was when they got down to the interior of the tree - it was rotted so badly that it either 'dusted' away as the saws bit in, or fell apart in huge sections. That tree had withstood a hundred years' worth of blizzards and high winds - but the next windstorm could have driven it into my neighbor's house or my own.

I do believe - as most do - in protecting my environment, but I do not believe that most tree-huggers have the first clue about natural renewable processes or life-and-death. In nature, things that cannot survive are naturally destroyed. Tree-huggers demand that fires not be permitted to burn in woodlands, even those fires started by lightning. So the underbrush builds up and up, destroying the natural life of smaller things, including insects. When a fire suddenly strikes and goes out of control, and burns millions of acres, everyone looks for someone to blame. The real ones to blame are the tree huggers who don't/won't understand that fire is a natural renewal process of the earth; it causes new growth, it strengthens the ecological environment. Tree-huggers don't grasp that protected woodlands have to be harvested to allow newer, healthier growth to come up. If the older trees are left alone, they end up like the maple tree in front of my house - rotted and dangerous.

Nature teaches us that all things have a season, all things are born, live, and die and provide nourishment for those things that come to life. We cannot tirelessly work to save species that cannot survive in a constantly-changing environment. Tree-huggers talk about 'evolution' but by their actions deny its very existence. We cannot pretend that 'man causes destruction!' unless we are willing to admit that all other species as well as volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and other naturally-occurring earth changes also cause destruction; and man, as the environments change, either has to change or devolve.

Finally, the very premise of 'going back to the land!' is a citydwellers' naivete. Most citydwellers have no idea that living involves killing; from ripping a radish out of the soil and composting the tops for fertilizer for next year, to slaughtering a beef for this winter's freezer after using that beef's waste to fertilize the very crops he eats to grow fat for the slaughter. When you slaughter that beef, you permit this year's calves to grow young and strong on what that beef fertilized with his poop and would have eaten. It is the same in the wild; when wolves slaughter a deer, they are keeping down the deer population so that other new deer won't starve to death their first spring - and so that the healthy and good-DNA-providenced deer, who can outrun and outthink the wolves, survive. By 'repopulating' a hithero-unpopulated area with predatory animals, you upset the balance of nature. By 'repopulating' an area with turkeys not indigenous to that area, you upset the ecological balance of that area, causing the turkeys to eat the food that previously went to smaller birds or mammals. Every single time a tree-hugger insists that something is "good for the environment!" they go overboard and further disrupt the ecological balance of that area, making it untenable for the life that was already there in their zeal to prove their rightness and goodness to others and to themselves. They rarely if ever have to suffer the consequences of their high-handed and self-centered actions; it is always the people and animals who live there who must suffer their enforced changes to the environment.

My house stays much warmer in the winter now that the tree to the south of our property is cut down; the sun heats the housefront and pours in the windows, reducing my dependence on the woodstove (in which I am still using the cut-up wood from that maple) as well as fossil fuels. I am a true environmentalist - because I believe in the natural order of things.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,396,963 times
PS - a note on the new Chevy Volt - they are under a "voluntary recall" right now, because the above-battery casing is not as strong as it should be, and after a crash (even a minor one) can spark to ignite a fire - up to three weeks after the crash.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,223,774 times
Sitting here in freezing weather, it's time to heat this mother up-as if man had anything to do with it!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't think people in this day and age have completely closed minds. I think they are open to sustainable options as long as they are given the choice whether to participate. No one likes the government raiding their pocketbooks to subsidize "sustainable" energy that is far more expensive and less efficient than current energy sources.
Sorry to quote such an old post but I could not let this go... Are you insinuating we do not subsidise "current energy sources"
Last I checked Iraq cost taxpayers 4 Trillion dollars!!!!!!

Watch oil shoot up to $150 a barrel, if we do not keep the peace in the middle east, at the cost of the USA Taxpayer...

Go spill your children's blood for oil... I would rather invest in the future of energy... Have the USA be a leader in technology again....

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,075,591 times
They cannot understand an love to the trees, they are envy of not getting hugs themselves because they are born to destroyers .

Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
They cannot understand an love to the trees, they are envy of not getting hugs themselves because they are born to destroyers .
Moi!

Very true...

It has been more than a decade since I have been in Finland
Please tell us about Finnish forestry management... IMO you have a better system with balance than the USA..

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Moi!

Very true...

It has been more than a decade since I have been in Finland
Please tell us about Finnish forestry management... IMO you have a better system with balance than the USA..
Moi! Milloin olit viimeksi Suomessa ja miksi? Puhutko suomen kieltä?

Here is a link to Metsähallitus's site Home And to Metla's site Finnish Forest Research Institute And this is a link to ympäristökeskus Finland's environmental administration - environment.fi to those who want to know more about Finnish forest and environmental systems. I do not know how it is in the USA but in Finland things are not so good with forests. There is nice ideas how to protect this and that but nobody cares... It is cheaper to break laws and pay tickets than save something valuable.

They just cut all natural birches from the river (about 1 km) and plant something unnatural to that . And there is a little hill near by of that river. That is marked to save but they first cutted all underbush and then trees from the each edge of the river and now they wonder why wind timber trees from the hill ... Well, no **** Sherlock

When my brother in law planned to create a protected area to his forest, a guy who was meant to make it happend said: Cut and sell all and told what is the best way to big moneys ... Luckily they got another person to make protected area to their forest. I guess a person number one was out of hugs

Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,425 posts, read 39,784,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Toyota has recalled the Prius twice for battery issues.... Try to buy one(batt) for $3200.
I'll stick with my 30+ yr old car that gets 50 mpg on free frier grease (No batteries or OPEC required).

OT... tree huggers...
They can make life pretty miserable in timber country. Most are city / urban dwellers who are totally intolerant and even less empathetic to the ways of 'managing' forests / farmland / environments.

TREE huggers (take advantage of urban electorate and) insist on managing everyone else, and are especially pleased to be responsible for the demise of many rural towns, businesses, jobs, families.

Socially responsible? they are not.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,063,686 times
Time to go throw a log on the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or