Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And that is indeed the key. Many of us do care for the environment, do recycle, cut back on energy consumption/waste, drive hybrids, generate some of our own residential power or actively investigating it.

Unfortunaltely, unless one is in lock-step with those who buy into man-made global warming and all the legislation in the name of "the environment" we are also labled as "uncaring" or "moral cowards".

Moderation in all things........
This is a great post. It's kooky...I'm the greenest person I know (including all my fanatic lib friends who are always spouting off global warming crap), but because I am skeptical about the 'research' regarding man-made global warming, I am part of the axis of evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,090,654 times
Along with other reasons already mentioned, I think one reason why tree huggers are sometimes hated is that they seek to regulate and control properties that they do not own. I don't mind if they want to protect the trees on their own properties, but there is no way they are going to tell me what I can and cannot cut down on mine. They seem to want to errode private property rights in the name of some "greater good" of saving every single tree out there.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
And saving every tree is not necessarily a "good".

Take National Forests as an example: they were set up as multi use, which included timber harvest. Now any proposal to harvst the trees is met with lawsuit after lawsuit. Not harvesting them creates essentially a desert in the forest lands where new growth can't regenerate. Which is one reason the game species in many of these areas have declined, they don't have the habitat anymore.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I think the main point is that people should be environmentally smarter and friendly to the earth, animals, sea creatures and each other.
I don't know how anyone can defend people that kill and torture animals to make a profit...it saddens me greatly to see anything be killed in such a way. Japan knows its wrong, why else woould they lie and say they are only doing it for reasearch?
Whales and dolphins have a very long gestational period, when their numbers dwindle it's not like they reproduce in the same way dogs and cats do. Thank God there are countries that do choose to not take part in whaling, if they didn't and everyone did as they want because as you said "we cannot force them to change there culture" all the animals would be gone as was the case with the Buffalo almost being wiped out!
There are many whales and Dolphins being hunted that are endangered, check out the site:

www.takepart.com/thecove
So do you hate farmers, ranchers, etc., who "kill animals for profit" (i.e., cows, pigs, chickens...)?

Japan lodged a protest to the moratorium the same as Norway (and Iceland). However, the U.S. threatened various trade sanctions, under pressure from various groups. They came to an agreement with Reagan they would not openly whale commercially, but they'd use the "research" permits. They'd be openly commercially whaling the same as Norway and Iceland had the U.S. not fooled around and created this situation...

The buffalo were intentionally killed off to destroy the Native Americans. It's not a good comparison.

Minke whales breed fairly rapidly. Some other whales can't compete with them.

The Cove was a propaganda film with ties to sea shepherd, etc., and is not exactly an unbiased, reliable source of info...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,551,957 times
People dont like to have philosophies and beliefs shoved down their throats. No one likes to be preached "at". The superior attitiude that often comes when one believes they are ''right'' if off putting - No matter what side of the fence you are on.
Walking the walk instead of just talking the talk, and showing by positive example works far better in presenting ideas then debate does,which often just turns into dueling monologues.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,657,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFE13 View Post
When you figure that one out tell me I'd like to know. I also am referred to at times as a tree hugger and my resonse is someone has to do it. I was at work telling my coworkers about the birds that come to my backyard feeder. One of the young girls in her twenties said she and her friend sit on the back porch and shoot their pellet guns at Boat Tail Grackles. I asked why she did this and her response was; WELL THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM and we were bored. Can anyone be that bored? I mean get a life.
You should notify this girl that Grackels (common and boat-tail) are an indigenous, migratory species and fall under the protection of the Migatory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. Killing them can carry serious penalties. Since these birds can be a major nuisance and cause damage to property, they may be discouraged in a number of ways, but no one has the right to impact their habitat or kill them without a permit.

About the only birds that you can kill or otherwise negatively impact without a permit are rock dove (pigeons), starlings and English Sparrows. (You're actually helping your local ecosystem if you kill sparrows or starlings. It's debatable that pigeons have become a staple of native raptors)

Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,657,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Along with other reasons already mentioned, I think one reason why tree huggers are sometimes hated is that they seek to regulate and control properties that they do not own. I don't mind if they want to protect the trees on their own properties, but there is no way they are going to tell me what I can and cannot cut down on mine. They seem to want to errode private property rights in the name of some "greater good" of saving every single tree out there.
That's actually a common perspective, but it isn't necessarily consistent with our current laws. You may own the land, the minerals beneath it, the timber and water (conditions apply) upon it and the airspace above it, but you do not own the wildlife on it nor the right to impact their habitat. If you have, for example, a wetland area on your property and you decide to harvest all the cypress and re-grade the area to be grazing property, you have probably violated a number of Federal laws and may be in big trouble if discovered or turned in.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,233,998 times
I know some want to be left alone to live and do as they please. That's fine as long as what they do does not adversely affect others. That's fine if their behavior is ethical and humane to both humans and other living creatures. Many problems arise because people have varying opinions on what's ethical or not.

For me I find the big game hunting reserves that open a cage and let a big cat run out and be shot down to be disgusting. Those 'men' who pay thousands for these 'hunts' are sick human beings. And they make a mockery of real hunters.

What about that Michael Sandlin guy in Louisiana? He keeps a 'pet' tiger in a cage at his truck stop. The big cat has lived his entire ten years of life a cage. This creepy M. Sandlin believes it's ethical treatment as long as he is making a buck from the tiger. This Michael Sandlin character is a so called Christian and gospel singer. LMFAO.

If the guy who lives upstream from me decides he wants to dump waste from his septic in the creek then it adversely affects every living thing in that creek, which adversely affects me. Thankfully, that type of thing is illegal. But dumping happens and it happens a lot.

There are a gazillion expamples of when other humans need to step in and speak up for those who have no voice or protection. Some people just don't have the ethics to do so, or they lack the desire. I guess they take the attitude that if they turn their head and don't have to witness anything then it didn't happen, ey?

Pollution doesn't stop at your property line. It doesn't stop at our countries borders. Animals don't stop migrating or avoiding your back yard when the new housing development incroaches on their habitat.

One would think that as rampant as religion is in America ethical behavior would also be rampant. Unfortunatly, it that isn't the case.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
So for those that look at environmentalists with disdain i have to wonder if there is any point where you would become environmentally conscious.would it be after all the fish are fished to the point of not being a viable industry?
Trees cut to the point of serious erosion problems all over the country,
Hundreds or thousands of species brought to the point of extiction.
A favorite park in your neighborhood being turned into a housing developement, a local river being polluted to the pont that its just a sewer.
I'm sure under the right circumstances most people who now wouldnt consider themselves environmentalists would become involved with maintaining a clean and healthy eco system even at the risk of being called a tree hugger if the benefits for doing so hits close enough to home..

PS. I think the question/debate about global warming isnt whether its happening its whether we're causing it.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,460,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Maybe because like many so-called "causes", they become beholden to Liberals, no matter what the cost to others. Take the oil spill, where are the protests? Where is PETA standing up for the oil soaked animals? Where are the tree hugger's decrying the natural diaster that this oil spill is? Where are the DC protests by the tens of thousands over this? Where are they? They are sitting on their asses, because we have a Democrat in office. It's so funny to watch them get "organized" when a Republican is in office, but when a Democrat is in office, it's, "time to be quiet time"......
Absolutely! Not a sound from them now.
People don't like them because it's all about control. Although we should respect the land, it is there for us to use, not abuse. Treehuggers are just bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living