Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,392,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it
I don't know. I do know as someone who is fairly active in my community that whenever you try to do something positive, people will always come up and criticize you. And the most critical ones are the ones who do absolutely nothing about anything. These are the 'human slugs' who basically sit on their butts and complain about everything.

I was helping promote a wildlife rehab program in my area a few weeks ago and someone (who I had never met before in my life) said, 'Why do you care more about animals than children?' And I thought, 'Why do you think those 2 concerns are mutually exclusive?' But after talking with her a little longer, I found out that for all her concerns about children, she does not do any child-related volunteer work and she does not contribute money to children's shelters or any other child-related charities. But it's perfectly fine for her to come over to me while I'm actually doing something and tell me that I should be doing something else.

As for 'treehugger'... I would identify myself as one and I have no problem with the word. But I became an adult well after the 60s movement, so I have no association of treehugger=hippy--and that's probably a good thing because as a somewhat ambitious professional person who has been working in the corporate environment for many years, I don't have much patience for 'singing kum by yah.' I think that people who associate treehugger=hippy are much older people who were probably of adult age back in the 60s. But when I hear the word 'treehugger,' I think of someone who has a concern about what is happening to the environment and is actually trying to do something about it.

When I do volunteer work on environmental activities, most of the people I meet are professionals... There may be a few old hippies occasionally, but most of the people are accountants, school teachers, plumbers, engineers, business owners, etc. (and consequently, the few hippies that may be there 'just for the experience' aren't taken that seriously).

Most of the people I volunteer with are able to bring their knowledge and skills from the business world and apply them towards finding solutions. The one thing that all of these people have in common is that they believe that they can 'do something'--and it doesn't matter if it's something big or small. This separates them from a lot of people who don't think they can do anything and who in the absence of taking any action, become critics instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Hit close to home I see,at the unconcious level at least.
No, not at all. It is just one more example of why some environmentalists are viewed very poorly. Treat people poorly and what do you expect? There is not even any room for intellegent discussion when the accusation is thrown that people who do not agree 100% are moral cowards.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Maybe because like many so-called "causes", they become beholden to Liberals, no matter what the cost to others. Take the oil spill, where are the protests? Where is PETA standing up for the oil soaked animals? Where are the tree hugger's decrying the natural diaster that this oil spill is? Where are the DC protests by the tens of thousands over this? Where are they? They are sitting on their asses, because we have a Democrat in office. It's so funny to watch them get "organized" when a Republican is in office, but when a Democrat is in office, it's, "time to be quiet time"......
You may want to do just a tiny bit a research before you claim things that you clearly have no ground on claiming. This LITERALLY took me about 10-15 seconds to pull up, its on the front page of PETA's website.

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocac...Action&id=3186

Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How many people have died recently from not having AC.or the cheap power needed for AC.More people(provide me the one verifiable death from Mercury poisoning in the US) die from not having power plants then die from having them.... The bunnie humpers who's goal is to control power are murdering scumbags........I hope they end up on a life support system supplied by a wind turbine.....
So do I when I'm 98. Well maybe not, I'd rather be gone before I have to be on any serious life system.

Red: How many people have died recently (this year) from coal mine cave ins, oil rig explosions, oil refinery explosions (Near seattle), more coal mine cave ins/explosions. How many people die each year because they were working in the mines all there life and have developed black lung because they were breathing nothing but coal down there for the most part? I'm willing to bet many more people than those who die solely because they didn't have air conditioning.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A couple of years ago an eco-terrorist group was responsible for the arson of a couple of lumber yards in my city.

Think about that for a minute.....they burnt up already cut lumber that was processed and ready for retail sale. They did not save any trees in the process because all that timber lost, as well as the buildings destroyed, had to be replaced, thus using more natural resources. What a waste.

Another incident I recall was the release of hundreds of rabbits and chinchillas from a farm in NE Utah. Eco-terrorists raided the farm and released the animals claiming that they deserved to be free. These domesticated animals had no survival or foraging skills and promptly became coyote food or wandered off and died of starvation. How was that compassionate I ask?

It only takes a radical few to color the rest of a movement in a very ugly light. Especially when more mainstream environmentalists fail to condem the actions of the radical factions.
Would you rather die as a free man or die as a prisoner?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Last time I checked rabbits and chinchillas were not people but domesticated animals that were happy with free food and protection because they had no idea of the future. Domesticated animals are not prisoners. Ask any dairy farmer who serves who. The cows own them not the farmer owning the cows.

Eco terrorism is just like any other terrorism. Instead of accomplishing whatever goal is wanted it frightens people and puts the entire movement in doubt. Treating animals with kindness, even if or especially if, they are going to be used for human food is not asking all that much of the people involved. The same applies to all living things killed for human needs.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Maybe because like many so-called "causes", they become beholden to Liberals, no matter what the cost to others. Take the oil spill, where are the protests? Where is PETA standing up for the oil soaked animals? Where are the tree hugger's decrying the natural diaster that this oil spill is? Where are the DC protests by the tens of thousands over this? Where are they? They are sitting on their asses, because we have a Democrat in office. It's so funny to watch them get "organized" when a Republican is in office, but when a Democrat is in office, it's, "time to be quiet time"......
Great point !

If a Reublican was the president the streets would be flowing with protestors.

Shows what hyocrites people can be !

Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
You may want to do just a tiny bit a research before you claim things that you clearly have no ground on claiming. This LITERALLY took me about 10-15 seconds to pull up, its on the front page of PETA's website.

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocac...Action&id=3186

Good find! Now, where is the next protest at? And yes, the outrage is clearly not there by the left as it would be if Bush or any other Republican was still in office. What's up with the 65 ft. rule? Why the attempted cover up? Thank God for CNN(and no I do not feed into the theory that CNN is the enemy either). Where are the "Hands Across America" types that always seem to pop up and defend the earth when a Republican is in office. Where's the "Obama Hates White People" speeches?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I don't know. I do know as someone who is fairly active in my community that whenever you try to do something positive, people will always come up and criticize you. And the most critical ones are the ones who do absolutely nothing about anything. These are the 'human slugs' who basically sit on their butts and complain about everything.

I was helping promote a wildlife rehab program in my area a few weeks ago and someone (who I had never met before in my life) said, 'Why do you care more about animals than children?' And I thought, 'Why do you think those 2 concerns are mutually exclusive?' But after talking with her a little longer, I found out that for all her concerns about children, she does not do any child-related volunteer work and she does not contribute money to children's shelters or any other child-related charities. But it's perfectly fine for her to come over to me while I'm actually doing something and tell me that I should be doing something else.

As for 'treehugger'... I would identify myself as one and I have no problem with the word. But I became an adult well after the 60s movement, so I have no association of treehugger=hippy--and that's probably a good thing because as a somewhat ambitious professional person who has been working in the corporate environment for many years, I don't have much patience for 'singing kum by yah.' I think that people who associate treehugger=hippy are much older people who were probably of adult age back in the 60s. But when I hear the word 'treehugger,' I think of someone who has a concern about what is happening to the environment and is actually trying to do something about it.

When I do volunteer work on environmental activities, most of the people I meet are professionals... There may be a few old hippies occasionally, but most of the people are accountants, school teachers, plumbers, engineers, business owners, etc. (and consequently, the few hippies that may be there 'just for the experience' aren't taken that seriously).

Most of the people I volunteer with are able to bring their knowledge and skills from the business world and apply them towards finding solutions. The one thing that all of these people have in common is that they believe that they can 'do something'--and it doesn't matter if it's something big or small. This separates them from a lot of people who don't think they can do anything and who in the absence of taking any action, become critics instead.

regarding your 2nd paragraph------"Why do you care more about animals than children"-----

A younger man is now the district supervisor for all state highways in my area of Minnesota.

One of the first things he did was delay any cutting of road ditches until the end of June ( gottas save pheasant nests, he said)

All the townships and counties mowed one swath earlier on their roads.

Yes, evidently he does care more about the safety of pheasants vs the safety of humans.

With grass nearly waist high on the shoulders of the road by mid June, it is impossible to see deer entering the highway.

Lots of motorcycle fatalities and cars smashed from hitting deer-------but we gotta save those pheasant nests. sarc

Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Because, at the extreme, they put things like trees and bugs before humans, and are so arrogant to think they are controlling the fates. Individual things in nature are insignificant, including humans. They are born, grow, and die. Some plants and animals will cease to exist. This is the natural scheme of things, and to think saving a particular tree matters, is just dopey.
Now, don't get me wrong, of course we should not pour poison into the water supply, or pollute the environment, or cut down the rain forests, but protecting these things are not the same as being a treehugger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living