U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM

20,382 posts, read 16,701,284 times

Advertisements

Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

19,353 posts, read 7,570,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of derogatory terms being thrown at people who have a respect for the planet and its environment,terms like tree huggers, eco terrorists, eco nazis,whacked out hippies etc. where did this attitude come from? Why would having concern for the well being of the planet we live on incur such hate and venom toward the people who do care? I dont get it
Because they impede progress. Because they make up lies about the environment. because they hurt innocent people by driving spikes into trees so loggers get injured. Because they are unreasonable.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM

15,748 posts, read 15,923,738 times
Because many of them are illogical and want a 'free lunch' out of life.

Nobody is really pro-pollution or anti-animals, but most of us have come to accept there are trade-offs in life. Many of them won't.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM

29,990 posts, read 21,016,714 times
Quote:
Huge difference between having concern for the environment and the methods used by a few groups that fall into the "eco-terrorist" category. As is usual, a few bad apples really do cast the rest in a very ugly shadow. I think it is the behavior and methods employed that are strongly disliked, not the people. There is plenty of venom from the pro-environmental groups for people who would not choose to believe that all of their causes should be legislated and forced upon the rest of the country or world.

I'd further point out that just because one does not identify with "tree huggers" does not mean they do not care about the environment. Trying to only apeal to emotion and not employing reason does not help some of the pro-envoronmental groups; it hurts them.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because they impede progress. Because they make up lies about the environment. because they hurt innocent people by driving spikes into trees so loggers get injured. Because they are unreasonable.
Driving spikes into the trees harms them in the long run too. So, they lower themselves by their actions to the level of that which they are against.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:39 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,806,778 times
Quote:
There is a difference between being a rational conservationist and being an irrational preservationist.

The preservationists tend to draw ire. Deservedly so, in my estimation.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,919,577 times
Maybe because like many so-called "causes", they become beholden to Liberals, no matter what the cost to others. Take the oil spill, where are the protests? Where is PETA standing up for the oil soaked animals? Where are the tree hugger's decrying the natural diaster that this oil spill is? Where are the DC protests by the tens of thousands over this? Where are they? They are sitting on their asses, because we have a Democrat in office. It's so funny to watch them get "organized" when a Republican is in office, but when a Democrat is in office, it's, "time to be quiet time"......

Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM

20,382 posts, read 16,701,284 times
I'm getting the impression its a politically derived mind set.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I'm getting the impression its a politically derived mind set.
Yes, I would say that the "tree hugger" group is politically driven. Isn't it then reasonable to expect that opposition to their methods of goal implementation also has political undertones? One cannot credibly argue that the environmentalist movement is apolitical.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM

2,671 posts, read 1,637,882 times
Quote:
A good portion of it comes from marketing a certain persona and attaching that persona to an entire group.

Look at how many posts have already mentioned stakes in trees. How often has that and does that happen?

How often and how many people who work for the protection of the planet, and its inhabitants really destroy hings and people?

It just so happens that corporations that earn millions or billions have the money to spend to develop a marketing scheme that sells the anti-environmental protection. If they can convince a good portion of the voting public that all people who work for the improvement and protection of earth and its inhabitants are 'terrorists' or 'nuts' then they've won over half the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living