U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,279,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
people lived lots of placed without AC many years ago but they also did not put on suits and go to work and i don't think there was an expectation not to be drenched in sweat or smell of body odor.
Yes, my mother in law and father in law lived here in Dallas before the advent of air conditioning. Sure, they survived, but they didn't like the heat and tried to find ways to cope. One way my MIL told me about was that they would wet sheets and lay on them in front of an electric fan. (kind of a crude form of evap cooling.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,394,061 times
I think there were various studies done a while back that showed that living in cooler temps (such as is afforded through air conditioning) prolonged the life of those who used such.

Kind of make senses considering the number of heat related deaths in past records before it was available as well as the basic physics and biology of the issue (rapid cell movement rate versus slower).

Not sure what the current agenda is specifically shooting for with this issue. Is it that they want to reduce the consumption of energy for the sake of their beliefs in climate issues or is it that they think population is too high and implementing such standards will reduce the life expectancy and reduce it as such. Or... is it both?

Regardless, I prefer my enemy to be that which I can see rather than soft ideas of persuasion to an ideal that serves the same purpose. At least the guy you can shoot at has the integrity to admit his end goal.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM

830 posts, read 2,357,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, my mother in law and father in law lived here in Dallas before the advent of air conditioning. Sure, they survived, but they didn't like the heat and tried to find ways to cope. One way my MIL told me about was that they would wet sheets and lay on them in front of an electric fan. (kind of a crude form of evap cooling.)
I've done that! It's pretty good.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM

357 posts, read 874,389 times
with out the AC population in Florida would have been a lot less than what it is right now.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:45 PM

2,008 posts, read 6,025,672 times
I love it! I makes me not get too hot.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:51 PM

736 posts, read 422,971 times
I would die without AC. We have to use it from Late April to mid September.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,469,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I placed this under Great Debates over Green Living due to the broader spectrum it may encompass regarding other forms of climate control and general conveniences that could pose the same query.

Assuming a person's health is good in general, and they do not need Air Conditioning for health and/or age related reasons, I pose the following theories...

A. Under the "Use It Or Lose It" theory, air conditioning takes the place of our body in regulating temperature and cooling us, when our body does not have to perform this function or performs it to a lesser degree it's ability to do so when needed may be lessened.

This reminds me of an episode of the "Simpsons" when Homer sneaks into a Nursing Home/Care Facility and takes advantage of all the care including Kidney Dialisis...The punch line he delivers is "And here all these years Iv'e been using my own kidney like a sucker!"

B. Air conditioning reduces stress on the body to keep itself cool thereby it does not have to work as hard. The lack of additional stress and burden this task would normally take is healthy for us.

You could broaden this debate to heating and other elements and conveniences of our modern society that may or may not make us more or less capable or healthy. We no longer need the appendix, what present organs will become obsolete for our bodies in the future? Is this harmful, beneficial, or non-consequential?
Those are good points. No - we do not need airconditioners and they are not healthy.

If you acclimate kids to a cold room, they will not want to go outside for anything and will sit indoors all summer and play video games and watch tv. More than anything refrigerated air is the cause of childhood and adult obesity.

Your body can acclimate to the heat and when it does, refrigerated air can feel quite bad on you. It's terrible walking out of an ice cold building into warm air and vice versa.

Also air conditioning keeps stale air trapped inside, it's recycled air, not air cleaned by the sun and outdoors.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,394,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those are good points. No - we do not need airconditioners and they are not healthy.
Matter of opinion. Also, it is dependent on lifestyle as there is no "one size fits all" solution. We live in a technological age, applying pre-technological solutions as a general method is inappropriate.

Quote:
If you acclimate kids to a cold room, they will not want to go outside for anything and will sit indoors all summer and play video games and watch tv. More than anything refrigerated air is the cause of childhood and adult obesity.
It's the cause? And here I thought lazy children and irresponsible parents were the cause here. Funny how we yet again blame an inanimate object for the choices of others. Seriously, there is no "cause" to obesity other than those responsible for themselves. In the case of children, it would be the parents responsibility and honestly, something that is none of my business.

Quote:
Your body can acclimate to the heat and when it does, refrigerated air can feel quite bad on you. It's terrible walking out of an ice cold building into warm air and vice versa.
People can acclimate to many things, but it is not always reasonable and claims of it being "good or bad" is really nothing more than a motivated position pushing for a certain solution.

Quote:
Also air conditioning keeps stale air trapped inside, it's recycled air, not air cleaned by the sun and outdoors.
With various filters and processes it is clean air, but then when we talk about "clean", are we saying the air with smog as if it is cleaner than the indoor filtration system or low air quality due to natural factors such as high grass, mold and other like contaminates?

There is no "one size fits all", but certainly you and those like you are welcome to live as they choose. I won't come after you for your choices, nor will I point fingers at the conditions you may choose to place your children in that I may disagree with. These are your choices, and I have mine.

Individual liberty is a great thing!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:49 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,517,317 times
I don't care if they are healthy not. I would rather take a chance on some long term chance of AC damage to my body than living in a terrarium climate with no AC.

I can never figure out with all the humidity in central/south Florida why it became a place where people wanted to retire.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

123 posts, read 184,407 times
Absolutely Not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living