Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,000,307 times

Advertisements

I'd rather wear a coat all day indoors in the winter than do without air conditioning in the summer which is why I don't want the government messing with my thermostat. I may use as much energy as the next guy. I just choose to use it more in the summer and less in the winter. I like it when it's cold, indoors and outdoors. It's not just a skin temperature comfort thing. I function better in the cold (more energy, more alert, breathe better). My ideal outdoor temperature is low to mid 50s and it has to be in the teens or 20s for me to put on a pair of gloves. Air conditioning is good for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 AM

61,675 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't know that it's good or bad for me, but I experience a very strange phenomenon at times during the summer when the AC is on at my workplace. I'm typically a cold weather person and prefer cold temps. I love the winter and actually keep my indoor heater temps down in the 50's or low 60's during the winter (yes, I do wear a sweater around the house).

But during the summer when it's in the 90's or 100's outside, I sometimes have problems with that refrigerated air inside. I agree with the post above that it's better than the heat, but there are many times over the years that I've actually become slightly hypothermic when I'm not moving around much. I mean I'm literally shaking! I actually have had to go outside for a time to warm up. There is just something about air-conditioned/refrigerated air that occasionally gets to me. It's weird, I know, but it just feels different to me than outside "natural" cold air.

I guess in that way, air conditioning is not good for me. Luckily that only happens once in a while--usually when I'm really inactive for a time. Any one else have that trouble?

On the other hand, the summer heat just kills me!

Oh, I agree... is not only you. I do too feel sometimes "hypothermic" when the A/C is set to low. Some stores have it that way. People in the offices tend to put it on low 60's ( hot flashes or whatever is the excuse). So there is no question about A/C good or not, but the best settings that makes you feel comfortable. I think that in the morning when most people are rested and full of energy - a little lower temperature is ok, but then by the end of the day, when tired, is best to rise the temperature few degrees. At least it works for me...

Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM

173 posts, read 314,883 times
A lot of the time, I'm glad for the climate where I live (southern New Mexico). It can get hot, but this July has been pretty nice, with the monsoons to keep things cool. It still gets to the 90s to lower 100s on a regular basis, but seldom stays there for long. Heck, right now it's a pleasant 73 degrees outside.
Winters are pretty nice to, with the average high over 50.

On the other hand, I really dislike how low they keep the temperature in a lot of buildings. A lot of places, I need to bring a coat just to be warm enough inside, even if it's in the 90s outside. I had to keep a coat and gloves by my desk at my last job, just so that I could keep warm enough to work effectively (during the hot summer, too). The computer lab back in college was one of the worst offenders. They always kept it in the low 60s "for the computers". Yeah, right.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
I keep mine set on 82, I'd prefer to be a little closer to cave or shade "living" keeping in traditions of my ancestors.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:23 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,331 times
I only use it on days i can't stand the heat another second. I love open windows, in the spring, summer and fall i have every window open, in the winter i crack a few here and there. I love the air and love the way the breezes come in and it makes the house smell so good. I see so many houses with the windows shut and blinds down, this goes for all four seasons, i don't know how people can live without open windows, it's like they're scared of fresh air.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,642 times
I live in a climate of -30 to -45 in the winter with the windchill, so there is no question that we use some kind of heat. Summers can be very hot and dry or hot and humid. That being said I really prefer a temperature of around 70 in the house in the winter and 75-77 in the summer, but I really prefer being able to open the windows in the summer, and leave them open all night to let the house cool. I can't stand going in somewhere where the a/c is set at 61-70. I worked at an office and everyone wore sweaters in the summer. When I used to come outside I would feel like my body hit a wall of heat. I think I was sick most of the summer. Moderation seems to be the key, at least for me

Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 PM

25,712 posts, read 18,784,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I worked at an office and everyone wore sweaters in the summer. When I used to come outside I would feel like my body hit a wall of heat.
Boy, I know that feeling!

I also prefer to have the windows open at night to cool things off and nearly close them during the day to help keep it cool. As a poster mentioned above, I hate a house that is "sealed up." It's like a tomb or something!

I should confess though... I really prefer "natural" air conditioning set at about 25 degrees! Well, okay, not in the house, but in that "big room" outside of the house.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd rather wear a coat all day indoors in the winter than do without air conditioning in the summer which is why I don't want the government messing with my thermostat. I may use as much energy as the next guy. I just choose to use it more in the summer and less in the winter. I like it when it's cold, indoors and outdoors. It's not just a skin temperature comfort thing. I function better in the cold (more energy, more alert, breathe better). My ideal outdoor temperature is low to mid 50s and it has to be in the teens or 20s for me to put on a pair of gloves. Air conditioning is good for me.
LOL. Me too!

The temp here was 101F today (heat index 110F). I keep my thermostat set at 77F, yet when I looked at it today it was still 80F in here with the a/c running nonstop. I couldn't get my house down to 72F on a hot summer day even if I tried. When this a/c unit dies I'm going to demand a bigger one next time.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,365,702 times
Here in Orange County, CA the only thing inexpensive about living here for me is the utility bill. One good thing about my area is that heat and air conditioning systems are rarely needed. So far this year I've turned on the AC just one time for about 4 hours. A couple of windows have been open almost 24x7 since late April (2nd floor apartment). We've had less than a week of hot temps in the mid or upper 90s, so AC has not really been needed. Every evening after sunset the temps drop pretty fast - my apartment usually cools down to a near perfect temperature which helps for peaceful sleep. Right now all windows are wide open at 8:30 pm and a nice breeze is blowing in with indoor temp about 73F. Ahhh.

Now at my place of work they need to run AC for a large office building. But to reduce the need for AC they pump in (with filters) cool outdoor air in the evenings and early morning to get the building temp down as much as possible naturally. Summer afternoons the AC comes on to keep indoor temps around 74F.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:52 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I placed this under Great Debates over Green Living due to the broader spectrum it may encompass regarding other forms of climate control and general conveniences that could pose the same query.

Assuming a person's health is good in general, and they do not need Air Conditioning for health and/or age related reasons, I pose the following theories...

A. Under the "Use It Or Lose It" theory, air conditioning takes the place of our body in regulating temperature and cooling us, when our body does not have to perform this function or performs it to a lesser degree it's ability to do so when needed may be lessened.

This reminds me of an episode of the "Simpsons" when Homer sneaks into a Nursing Home/Care Facility and takes advantage of all the care including Kidney Dialisis...The punch line he delivers is "And here all these years Iv'e been using my own kidney like a sucker!"

B. Air conditioning reduces stress on the body to keep itself cool thereby it does not have to work as hard. The lack of additional stress and burden this task would normally take is healthy for us.

You could broaden this debate to heating and other elements and conveniences of our modern society that may or may not make us more or less capable or healthy. We no longer need the appendix, what present organs will become obsolete for our bodies in the future? Is this harmful, beneficial, or non-consequential?
I believe there is merit in a gluten-free diet, I've seen people have great success with veg/vegan diets, I know people who will not drink cold water (not really my thing) and numerous other diet and lifestyle disciplines of varying shades and severity. Most are at least based in some form of science, have some surface validity or old, folksy witchcraft.

This is OFFICIALLY stepping into the realm of rank, wildcat psychosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living