Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times

Advertisements

Assuming that everyone has heard of the 'challenges' of life in Atlanta, GA--if not--visit the Atlanta forum.

With the explosive growth all over the state and more intense in Atlanta/surrounding suburbs/exurbs--Georgia needs more $$$$$ and quickly, too.

Education, shortage of law enforcement--each county needs twice, three times the staff and the State Patrol needs 'A Bunch' more, too, crisis in mental health, more roads/maintenance of, water and so many more critical needs...

It will be 'a while',(years, decades?)--until Noise Pollution can be a real issue.

It already is for me---
Living near I85 and PDK it is really a problem and my poor dog and other neighborhood dogs. Josh barks like a maniac when sirens go off. Then everyone barks. He couldn't get to sleep last night--we tried to walk and had to keep getting out of the way of cars--no reason for the cars to be coming through after 9PM--something really needs to be DONE. I have expressed my
opinion--not happy with the response.

Lots of trucks coming through, too. They really scare Josh--young Lhasa Apso. Walks should be fun --a time to release tension and instead both of us come back frazzled.

I can drive him to a nice park. Fight gridlock on N. Druid Hills.
'Somebody' needs to be giving this some consideration--of that I am convinced. I know we would both enjoy living in Flowery Branch--or further north. Maybe I will win the lottery--difficult since I do not participate in that.
Listened to Clark Howard too long.

How is it in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 10:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Default Ambient city noises vs. neighbor noises

Ambient city noises, din of traffic, trains, buses going by, PD/FD sirens, and the general rumble of the city don't bother me nearly as much as neighbor noises. Loud or boom, boom stereos, car/motorcycle workshops in driveways, machine shops in back yard, loud landscaping tools, barking dogs, these drive me nuts! I'm in a very quiet development now (Southern CA), but had to search and research to find it.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
YES!! I get tired of hearing the fart mufflers. I just don't get the appeal of 'em??!!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,634 times
Default Enviornmental noise

Noise from neighbors or industry can be frustrating. We live in the Chicago area which has houses, condos, schools and industry in close proximity.

Our state has noise regulations and our city has similar regulations. You can look on-line or call your local government official to check on similar noise regulations in your area. If noise is bothering you at night, chances are you can have something done about it. I would suggest hiring an acoustic consultant to measure the sound levels and give you or that industry a report to see if first in compliance and second if there is anything that can be done. Here is a potential link for you to view for an acoustic consultant: Acoustical Consultant

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Update

I don't think I typed the link in correctly...let me try again: http://enoisecontrol.com/acoustical_consultant.html

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We used to live within 50 ft of a railroad track and now live under an airline approach path. You get used to the noise. I want to retire to a place where the loudest noise will be the wind in my turbine and pulling the cork out of a whiskey bottle.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Why should no cars be driving at 9:00pm? Who the hell are you? You can drive him to a dog park--fight gridlock--obviously something you don't like. Yet you're contributing to it.

You complain too much. You live in an urban area. What the hell do you expect? Crickets chirping?

Grow up for God's sake.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I live in the country. I do hear crickets chirping, crayfish chirping, owls hooting and various other types of wildlife. To me it's very peacful.

When my family comes to visit from the city they say they can't sleep because it's too noisy. When I go to their house in the city I can't sleep with all the traffic noises, cop cars, ambulances, etc.

Guess we get accustomed to our noises.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
You mind is monitoring your acoustic environment while you sleep. When an unexpected noise is heard, this includes a sudden silence; your mind wakes you up so you can investigate the potential problem. This is hardwired into our nervous system.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM

Trying once again to post this link!
www.enoisecontrol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living