U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,665,682 times

Advertisements

All you need is a bicycle with gears, a good trailer and some time.

How To Build A Sidewalk - By Bike : TreeHugger

If it fit's on the trailer you can move it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,333,653 times
I commend Mister Kreps on his ingenuity but I challenge him to make that work in a sub-tropical anti-paradise like Houston, TX.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,814,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
All you need is a bicycle with gears, a good trailer and some time.

How To Build A Sidewalk - By Bike : TreeHugger

If it fit's on the trailer you can move it!
But I like my car

Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,268,721 times
When you look at the home of the sidewalk builder, it's clear that he enjoys the fruits of production made possible by machinery and transport of a much larger scale than the luxury his bicycle affords him. The goods he bicycles to for shopping are the product of modern production techniques and equipment. That includes the clothes he wears, the shoes he wears, the food he eats, and the technology/services/goods he enjoys for his home. Even the shovel and hand tools he used to grade his site and install his sidewalk come from modern industrial production ... or have you ever tried to use just a wooden shovel and rake to accomplish a large task?

The medium with which he got his message out to the rest of us is highly dependent upon modern industrial production ... for everything from the bicycle itself to the electricity to the computer hardware and software, to the cameras. Where in society would folk have the time to create and produce such goods to financial and societal advantage if they were spending all their time in menial labor, if they were all physically capable of such effort?

Even the Egyptians built pyramids and had valued commodity goods without modern equipment ... but at the societal price of only a few royals enjoying the fruits of many hundreds of thousands of slaves labor.

Is that type of society what you're advocating here, Tightwad, as so superior to what we have now?

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-07-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
When you look at the home of the sidewalk builder, it's clear that he enjoys the fruits of production made possible by machinery and transport of a much larger scale than the luxury his bicycle affords him. The goods he bicycles to for shopping are the product of modern production techniques and equipment. That includes the clothes he wears, the shoes he wears, the food he eats, and the technology/services/goods he enjoys for his home. Even the shovel and hand tools he used to grade his site and install his sidewalk come from modern industrial production ... or have you ever tried to use just a wooden shovel and rake to accomplish a large task?

The medium with which he got his message out to the rest of us is highly dependent upon modern industrial production ... for everything from the bicycle itself to the electricity to the computer hardware and software, to the cameras. Where in society would folk have the time to create and produce such goods to financial and societal advantage if they were spending all their time in menial labor, if they were all physically capable of such effort?

Even the Egyptians built pyramids and had valued commodity goods without modern equipment ... but at the societal price of only a few royals enjoying the fruits of many hundreds of thousands of slaves labor.

Is that type of society what you're advocating here, Tightwad, as so superior to what we have now?
Boy, did you miss the point! The whole point flew right by you so fast you didn't even feel the breeze.

So here is the point......
This is what's possible by not using fossil fueled machines in a world where fossil fuels are scarce or gone. We all know that there will be a time between when the goods produced with fossil fuels are consumed and when they can't be replaced.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,268,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy, did you miss the point! The whole point flew right by you so fast you didn't even feel the breeze.

So here is the point......
This is what's possible by not using fossil fueled machines in a world where fossil fuels are scarce or gone. We all know that there will be a time between when the goods produced with fossil fuels are consumed and when they can't be replaced.
Sorry, Tightwad ... but I didn't miss the point at all.

You've got a fellow out there who is advocating that physical labor is preferable and perhaps, morally "better" (for the multiple reasons he advocates) than those of us who depend upon modern machinery and equipment ... but yet, he does, too, in the larger picture of what his lifestyle entails. IF he was living in a mud hut with a grass roof, and consuming no electrical energy except that which he produced himself from green technology, and using no goods or services except those that were totally green .... well, you get where I'm going with this. The bicycle rider advocating all of his shopping comes from the bicycle transport ... simply is laughable on it's face. With the exception of stealing rocks from the lake shoreline (in plastic buckets which are a product of petroleum!), every good he bicycles to obtain came to his area retailer by truck. He gets the benefit of modern roads and retailers ... he's not living in a small village society with only locally produced foodstuffs, consumer goods, etc. If he really wanted to live his agenda ... he'd be living in a hut within walking distance of all the goods and services he consumes, but no ... he's going to cherry pick a high point of moral superiority and make it sound like he's doing just fine living that way.

I didn't specify fossil fuels ... although even the Egyptians depended on it for much of their technology. Heating, cooking, smeltering metals and forging them for tools, etc.

We certainly have other sources of energy to utilize ... ranging from wind/solar/nuclear/hydro ... which can replace a lot of the fossil fired energy sources, although the technology is far from financially justifiable for some of those technologies.

Every society, on every continent throughout history, where physical labor was the source of "energy" to produce goods and services for the ruling elite depended entirely upon slave labor of a massive scale. Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the America's all had similar societal structures of slavery. Freedom came to society when goods and services became readily available through the use of energy and machinery/equipment and folk were freed up from a lifetime of servitude ....

I love it when sources, such as the mag where you got the video from ... advocate clearly unsustainable means of living. It's like watching a vegan tree-hugger in the back country of Idaho (and I've personally encountered several, one of whom took it upon himself to damage my aircraft ... and hung around to watch for the entertainment value of a likely crash if I'd have taken off with his handiwork) who lives in a modern produced tent, wears leather boots, modern produced synthetic fabric clothing, uses tools and cookware of modern production (what, no hand dug clay pot thrown on a wooden wheel? oh, but wait a minute, it would have to have been fired in a kiln, which means smoke and pollution were essential to it's production), and got into the area himself by the use of motorized transportation and uses a radio/computer to communicate with his fellow travelers in life. Even the drugs he smokes are the products of modern production and distribution/transportation via fossil energy .... they don't all come into the area on the backs of bicycling or hiking folk.

More to the point, Tightwad ... is that you've totally missed mine. Every one of these advocates of simple living is enabled to do so only because of modern, fossil fueled (to date) technology, goods, and services.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-07-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,240,923 times
I am amused when these anti-modernity zealots add that only organically produced fruit and vegetables are fit food. Since there is only about 1% of the earth's surface where a year round supply of organic fruits and vegetable can be produced at all, and they can only be produced without modern farming methods for to feed about .001% of the population, it is gonna get kind of crowded down there.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-07-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Sorry, Tightwad ... but I didn't miss the point at all.

You've got a fellow out there who is advocating that physical labor is preferable and perhaps, morally "better" (for the multiple reasons he advocates) than those of us who depend upon modern machinery and equipment ... but yet, he does, too, in the larger picture of what his lifestyle entails. IF he was living in a mud hut with a grass roof, and consuming no electrical energy except that which he produced himself from green technology, and using no goods or services except those that were totally green .... well, you get where I'm going with this. The bicycle rider advocating all of his shopping comes from the bicycle transport ... simply is laughable on it's face. With the exception of stealing rocks from the lake shoreline (in plastic buckets which are a product of petroleum!), every good he bicycles to obtain came to his area retailer by truck. He gets the benefit of modern roads and retailers ... he's not living in a small village society with only locally produced foodstuffs, consumer goods, etc. If he really wanted to live his agenda ... he'd be living in a hut within walking distance of all the goods and services he consumes, but no ... he's going to cherry pick a high point of moral superiority and make it sound like he's doing just fine living that way.

I didn't specify fossil fuels ... although even the Egyptians depended on it for much of their technology. Heating, cooking, smeltering metals and forging them for tools, etc.

We certainly have other sources of energy to utilize ... ranging from wind/solar/nuclear/hydro ... which can replace a lot of the fossil fired energy sources, although the technology is far from financially justifiable for some of those technologies.

Every society, on every continent throughout history, where physical labor was the source of "energy" to produce goods and services for the ruling elite depended entirely upon slave labor of a massive scale. Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the America's all had similar societal structures of slavery. Freedom came to society when goods and services became readily available through the use of energy and machinery/equipment and folk were freed up from a lifetime of servitude ....

I love it when sources, such as the mag where you got the video from ... advocate clearly unsustainable means of living. It's like watching a vegan tree-hugger in the back country of Idaho (and I've personally encountered several, one of whom took it upon himself to damage my aircraft ... and hung around to watch for the entertainment value of a likely crash if I'd have taken off with his handiwork) who lives in a modern produced tent, wears leather boots, modern produced synthetic fabric clothing, uses tools and cookware of modern production (what, no hand dug clay pot thrown on a wooden wheel? oh, but wait a minute, it would have to have been fired in a kiln, which means smoke and pollution were essential to it's production), and got into the area himself by the use of motorized transportation and uses a radio/computer to communicate with his fellow travelers in life. Even the drugs he smokes are the products of modern production and distribution/transportation via fossil energy .... they don't all come into the area on the backs of bicycling or hiking folk.

More to the point, Tightwad ... is that you've totally missed mine. Every one of these advocates of simple living is enabled to do so only because of modern, fossil fueled (to date) technology, goods, and services.
Again I say......

"So here is the point......
This is what's possible by not using fossil fueled machines in a world where fossil fuels are scarce or gone. We all know that there will be a time between when the goods produced with fossil fuels are consumed and when they can't be replaced."

Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM

4,240 posts, read 20,716,767 times
I does appear he does not rely on his bicycle for everything. There is a pretty nice car sitting in his driveway.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM

207 posts, read 478,179 times
Get a horse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or