U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:32 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,180,500 times

Advertisements

I can reuse a paper bag for many things before it is so worn out I have only 2 choisces, 1 use it for kindling in a wood stove fire and 2 compost it to make soil. As i stated other things are patterns. Some of these are possible bags patterns, moccasins patterns and other historically related patters of garments. I have boxes of these some nearing 30 years old.

Other things are steel patterns used once. I make in paper what I will in steel and then use the paper for something else or compost it.

I can't do either with a plastic bag. The 3rd choice is to take it to the dump and add it to bins full of other mixed papers, which costs me in time and money and I get no soil.

Since i garden and on a place stripped of top soil to make a horse race track, that became extinct in 1930, some 21 years before i was born I choose to make soil.

The work done here, adds new cardboard boxes daily, and i compost these to soil as well, and in a years time I made up to 12 cubic yards of good garden soil. With that I grow many plants that last harvest to harvest, others that only last a part of that time and some like corn on the cob that only last moments after being picked.

I compost all the leaf and stem debris left adding waste leaves as I can get them in fall from anyplace willing to give them to me , pull grass and lawn waste, and a beer brewery also gives me spent grains, so I can make up to that 12 cubic yards of soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM

12,545 posts, read 18,401,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I have never found any evidence suggesting that your average plastic bag gets recycled, though.

I have read (and seen pix) that pallets of them allegedly on route to recycling facilities overseas were instead fed into incinerators and basically used as heating fuel.

The problem is that we have loads and loads of freight barges bringing items to the USA from China, but very little going back.

So, economically, this actually makes sense - if you discount the pollution, of course.
good point, but couldn't this be said about all recycling? i dunno. it all goes back to reduce, reuse, recycle.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM

25,991 posts, read 28,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- California's Senate has voted down a measure that would have banned plastic bags at grocery stores.

The new ban was rejected by a 21 to 14 vote late Tuesday. The ban would have included grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores.

California bill to ban plastic bags fails - CNN.com
Thank God. They need to get onto more important things like actually hammering out a budget.

I personally use those plastic grocery bags as my trash bags. I'm glad I won't have to go out and buy trash bags any time soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Thank God. They need to get onto more important things like actually hammering out a budget.

I personally use those plastic grocery bags as my trash bags. I'm glad I won't have to go out and buy trash bags any time soon.
at least you reuse them. lol

Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM

8,592 posts, read 8,506,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
good point, but couldn't this be said about all recycling? i dunno. it all goes back to reduce, reuse, recycle.
Take the time and listen to this guy......If you don't want to ...fast forward to the end and listen to his answers to questions.......He'll tell you the truth about recycleing....
Free Market Environmentalism - C-SPAN Video Library

Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 PM

sure - the free market will solve the problem. i heard that argument before, had something to do with real estate a few years ago...

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM

not to say he doesn't have some good points. he's alright.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:19 AM

8,592 posts, read 8,506,762 times
I wouldn't call the houseing thing, free market....Really it's just like the current renewable energy trend.... Give money to someone or something that can't or won't pay it back and you see what happens..........

Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 AM

221 posts, read 316,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
For starters, I have about 30 reusable bags and I haven't had to wash a single one of them.
Gee thanks for dragging your scummy, disgusting bags back into the store for the rest of us to get sick from, LOL!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I wouldn't call the houseing thing, free market....Really it's just like the current renewable energy trend.... Give money to someone or something that can't or won't pay it back and you see what happens..........
ask FPL how their windmills are working out for them. Their stock price disagrees with you. but regardless, back to reusable bags...

i see a few problems: 1. trash not ending up in the proper place (landfills). 2. plastic doesn't decompose. 3. plastic is made using petroleum - which causes us some problems aside from pollution, namely political issues. 4. plastic bags take up space at the store and need to be transported to the store.

now, what very simple change in our lifestyles can we make that would reduce trash, reduce petroleum consumption, and save us money? use a reusable bag.

here's a good story...
Publix Reaches 1 Billion Paper and Plastic Bags Saved - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living