Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,866 times

Advertisements

My husband loves meat but he ate too much of it even if he was very aware about the risks for his health and damages caused to the environment.
The nagging wife inside of me tried to convince him so many times trying to make him feel guilty… but it didn’t work. Nothing happened except for turning him very very nervous. But it got worse: the nagging wife was sick of it thus she started doing very stupid things like throwing away all the meat from the refrigerator and preparing vegetarian meals only. The first 2-3 days he reacted nicely saying things like “Thank you darling but… where is the real food here?” and after dinner he ended up eating a lot of bread, cookies or chocolate. Can you believe I was so stupid that once for dinner I prepared boiled potatoes and cabbage only? And I was pretending he liked it? Ok please, stop laughing at me! After that lame attempt the bloodthirsty beast inside of him came out scaring the nagging wife away.

1 lesson learned: I couldn’t eliminate 100% meat out of the clear blue

As the nagging wife was still grounded, I became craftier and started “diluting” meat by replacing part of it with beans or mushrooms in recipes like lasagna, stew and casserole. Guess what? It didn’t work. He was complaining about how the meals weren’t as good as before.

2 lesson learned: I had to cook whether good vegetable or good meat meals instead of a strange mix.

Sorry. The nagging wife is still around but it’s a good thing she is now concentrated on something else. Anyway she is proud to share with you some of my successful tactics:
· Scale down the frequency gradually
· Cook vegetable hamburgers and salty cakes with vegetarian side dishes.
· Accompany vegetarian stew and hotpots with something substantial like potatoes and cereals (otherwise the bloodthirsty beast…).
· Go into Indian and other ethnic food. India is the home of vegetarianism
· Get curious (believe it or not this was no effort for me): I tried new veggie and cereals I didn’t know their existence.
· Add one new ingredient at a time if you’re worried about causing allergies
· Show him the bill: I took on the role of accountant (can you see the nagging wife gloating?) and proved him that we could afford local organic meat without spending more
· Order first when you are out for dinner: I realized I put some unconscious pressure on him by ordering vegetarian courses before he opens his mouth. Can you imagine how much I can satisfy my untenable desire of changing him this way???

Knock knock. Uh, sorry the nagging wife is here for some advisory:
· -meat = + legumes
· Don’t put more cheese on his plate (it’s not very healthy and doesn’t help with global warming)

If you’re wondering about me having kids, yes I have a 6 years old wonderful girl. Did this process work for her too? Yes: not too many spices, I always cook something I know she already likes, I prepare small portions and involve her mentally and practically.

Ok I have to go now. I just noticed that my husband (holy man) didn’t repair the closet door yet! I have to write a note on a paper for him, text him,…

PS: if you find some odd things in my writing you’re probably right. Please forgive me I’m not a native English speaker but I’m hardly trying to improve my English!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
First of all, I think your English is very good.

You do not say what you think is too much meat. What you think is too much, might not be to others. Your husband is a grown man who should be able to decide what he eats.

I think that moderation is always a good idea, so you should cook enough tempting side dishes that you can get by with smaller servings of meat. You can ease your husband into eating a bit less, as long as he has enough other things to fill him up.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
There's nothing wrong with cooking healthy for your husband and your family, but I think trying to force him, or tricking him into something that he doesn't want isn't going to be the best thing for your relationship.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:15 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Why do you think you should change him? If he likes it he likes it, accept it, embrace it! Eat more meat!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
There's nothing wrong with cooking healthy for your husband and your family, but I think trying to force him, or tricking him into something that he doesn't want isn't going to be the best thing for your relationship.
This right here. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for him, and vice versa.

My late lifelong best friend was a vegetarian. It worked well for her. I am closer to the carnivore side of the Bell curve, because I've learned over the decades that that's what works best for me from a health perspective. Neither of us felt uncomfortable with what worked for us, nor did we feel compelled to somehow make the other person eat what we, personally, found best.

My husband needs carbs in order to be at his healthiest. I need a high protein diet. I don't feel the need to make him eat the way I do, or vice versa.

To do so will NOT be good for your relationship. And it's unnecessary, from an ecological perspective as well.

Imagine how many species would have to be wiped out if everyone in the world woke up vegetarian tomorrow? We'd need their habitats to grow food for ourselves, whereas today we can raise meat in areas that aren't suitable for growing vegetables. Moderation is the key.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
It might work to discourage him from liking meat if you show him one of the million++ videos online of how they slaughter animals for our food. It will make you sick and maybe him too?

I'm not providing a link because I just don't want to see it. Just google Pig slaughter, cattle slaughter, etc.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It might work to discourage him from liking meat if you show him one of the million++ videos online of how they slaughter animals for our food. It will make you sick and maybe him too?

I'm not providing a link because I just don't want to see it. Just google Pig slaughter, cattle slaughter, etc.
Just be careful of the source. There's a LOT of animal rights propaganda out there, and remember, if you believe everything you see from animal rights sources on video, you might believe in the critters in the Cantina scene from Star Wars.

Gouligann, have you been to a slaughter house personally?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:24 PM

628 posts, read 286,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Just be careful of the source. There's a LOT of animal rights propaganda out there, and remember, if you believe everything you see from animal rights sources on video, you might believe in the critters in the Cantina scene from Star Wars.

Gouligann, have you been to a slaughter house personally?

Cute, but I see what you did there. You don't have to go to a slaughter house personally to realize that farmed animals are the most abused on the planet-any thinking person can deduce that. Even if you don't care about that, how about caring about the planet itself (in spite of what TexasHorseLady states there are many unimpeachable sources that say otherwise)? Do you realize how much water is used to produce a small amount of meat? How much waste with its attendant gases is involved with just one cow or pig, never mind the number needed to feed our country's insatiable desire for meat? It might be about moderation, but we as a country are not about that at all.

I hope that you all feel like eating what YOU like to eat justifies the suffering of the animals and the waste of the planet's resources.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Your husband needs a wife, not a mother.

Don't nag.

Let him eat what he likes to eat.

For me, I must eat meat with my green vegetables to be healthy. I cannot eat too many carbs - I feel awful. I am far healthier eating a low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
I think it's time for a game of spot the vegetarians. Now if you'll excuse me, its Whopper time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living