U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 AM

34 posts, read 29,861 times

Advertisements

Green cleaning products are quite pricey which is why you might want to consider using home made organic cleaning agents.

I unclog my sinks using vinegar, baking soda and water (tried it after reading this: Homemade Drain Cleaner – Green Living Ideas) and I don't think I'll ever go back to chemical based drain cleaners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 PM

15,780 posts, read 14,021,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Agreed. I use all those but don't forget orange oil, Simple Green; two very good degreasers and Borax a multipurpose cleaner...Oh and your Magic erasers to stained counter tops and the like. But i do use Oxicleaners.
I do use Borax.

My goal is to get away COMPLETELY from all commercial cleaners, including laundry detergent, by the end of 2011. So far I'm way ahead!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,763,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do use Borax.

My goal is to get away COMPLETELY from all commercial cleaners, including laundry detergent, by the end of 2011. So far I'm way ahead!
Well, all you need is vinegar, orange oil and baking soda; maybe a little bleach as a disinfectantfor water and medical needs, aluminum foil and cream of tartar for burnt on foods. How will you get away from laundry soaps? Making you own soaps? I plan to attempt that sometime this year...saved my wood ash for that purpose

Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 67,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I use Dr. Bronner's castille soap to wash dishes (and just about anything else) -- 16 oz bottle is under $10 and you can wash a LOT of dishes with 16 oz!! You don't get lots of foam, but it does clean really well, adding a little plain white vinegar or lemon juice helps cut really greasy loads. I find that the Orange works best for dishes and kitchen clean up.

Good recipes here for making your own dish soaps from castille soaps, or grated pure soap flakes.

^^ I use Bronner's too for everything! You can clean your clothes, dishes, carpet, counters and toilet all with one product! I use cruelty-free products, and all those are "green." I would def check out bronner's, also store brands like Wholefoods I think are non-animal tested/vegan which without a cruelty free stamp would make them not "green" because using animals wastes more than anything! But Bronner's is a one-stop-shot and lasts forever, for real.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 PM

15,780 posts, read 14,021,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiechan View Post
^^ I use Bronner's too for everything! You can clean your clothes, dishes, carpet, counters and toilet all with one product! I use cruelty-free products, and all those are "green." I would def check out bronner's, also store brands like Wholefoods I think are non-animal tested/vegan which without a cruelty free stamp would make them not "green" because using animals wastes more than anything! But Bronner's is a one-stop-shot and lasts forever, for real.
Love that stuff.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,580,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do use Borax.

Can Borax be used on granite, marble, and other natural stone without etching the surface or eating into the calcium the way vinegar will?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM

4,728 posts, read 5,275,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Can Borax be used on granite, marble, and other natural stone without etching the surface or eating into the calcium the way vinegar will?
Borax is completely non-reactive with stone, wood and textiles.

However, Borax is a natural herbicide/fungicide, so if you reclaim your greywater, just make sure that you capture any water with borax in it and put it somewhere that you don't want anything to grow (like a driveway or path) and it doesn't accidentally get flushed out into your garden or orchard

Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,580,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Borax is completely non-reactive with stone, wood and textiles.

However, Borax is a natural herbicide/fungicide, so if you reclaim your greywater, just make sure that you capture any water with borax in it and put it somewhere that you don't want anything to grow (like a driveway or path) and it doesn't accidentally get flushed out into your garden or orchard
Eeek! No, the grey water goes in the septic with the rest of it. Good to know, I have stubborn weeds I can kill in the gravel driveway. Good, finally a somewhat green cleaner I can use for that new stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living