Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times

Advertisements

The town I live in charges $5.00 a month for recycling even though it isn't mandatory and is charged whether or not you separate recyclable material.
Cleveland Ohio passed a law a couple months ago that is mandatory. And they are providing special containers with electronic chips in them that can be scanned that tell them how many times a month the container is full enough to empty. If it hasn't had enough material to be emptied each month if is a $100.00 fine.
That is too much big brother control to suit me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
The town I live in charges $5.00 a month for recycling even though it isn't mandatory and is charged whether or not you separate recyclable material.
Cleveland Ohio passed a law a couple months ago that is mandatory. And they are providing special containers with electronic chips in them that can be scanned that tell them how many times a month the container is full enough to empty. If it hasn't had enough material to be emptied each month if is a $100.00 fine.
That is just over the top and unbelievable....not that I don't believe they're doing it. I certainly hope someone challenges it in court and soon.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Sorry, I stopped recycling then. Their actions, their greed, their irresponsible behavior and are nothing more than self interested schemes to get suckers to pay them money (much like stupid carbon credit programs). I knew many who did as I did for the same reasons and they also stopped recycling.
I guess you showed them!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do agree with refuse collectors keeping general stats on a street or neighborhood to see if they need to hold a meeting or presentation or hand out literature encouraging people to recycle and reminding them what can and can't be recycled and also to show them what's in it for them; even if they're not moved by protecting the environment, maybe the city can appeal to their wallets by reminding them how much landfill space costs and how much trash the average non-recycling household produces annually.
Exactly! We can also remind them that we need to take care of our environment for the future generations. Some folks may be motivated by the environment their kids or grandkids will have once they're gone.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
People who support this police state action are true Eco-Nazis. You're probably the same type of person who would monitor your neighbor's recycling behavior and quickly alert the authorities to their recycling faux pas.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
That is insane. Do you have a link to your city services webpage that shows the recyling terms and fine schedule? If so, are you willing to post it?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
I guess you showed them!
No, I simply stopped giving a flying flub about it and the ultimate result was I left that state. Maybe you are right, I showed them as I no longer pay a darn thing to that state. Yes, one less slave to demand payment from, you are right. I did show them.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
I think I would have to shoot the first person who came to collect and hang them out in front of the house as a warning of what infringement leads to.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
People who support this police state action are true Eco-Nazis. You're probably the same type of person who would monitor your neighbor's recycling behavior and quickly alert the authorities to their recycling faux pas.
No doubt. And yes, they certainly are.

In the 50s or 60s, this would have been material for a Twilight Zone depiction of a nightmarish possible future to avoid at all costs. But today, large numbers walk among us who say "bring it on".

I find it next to impossible to understand how easy it clearly is to program so many minds to do evil bidding. But seeing and knowing that it has happened makes human history's horrors seem quite par for the course.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No doubt. And yes, they certainly are.

In the 50s or 60s, this would have been material for a Twilight Zone depiction of a nightmarish possible future to avoid at all costs. But today, large numbers walk among us who say "bring it on".

I find it next to impossible to understand how easy it clearly is to program so many minds to do evil bidding. But seeing and knowing that it has happened makes human history's horrors seem quite par for the course.
Two words to explain how this is possible,...public school. Many of today's public school teachers try to push such an idology upon their students. My 8th grade science teacher was one if them back in the early 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living