Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 09:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,774,380 times

Advertisements

Obviously I am referring to keeping greenhouses warm during the freezing winter months... thanks... its a small greenhouse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,262,203 times
You've got a few options....

If you have electricity, you can use a little space heater, though that might be expensive. I did that a few years ago, and it worked well. The heater was on a timer, I just heated it at the coldest part of the day.

You could do do a propane heater, if you've got a fairly well ventilated greenhouse.

Finally, you could do what they did in the old days.They'd spread fresh cow manure on the floor of the greenhouse, and it would put out heat as it composted.

I guess a lot of it depends what kind of greenhouse you've got and how thick the walls are and how cold it gets where you are.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,508,807 times
Where are you specifically? By state or region, will do.

If you have enough Winter Time Sun -- which you would need for the growing part, anyway, you can trap the heat and keep it warm all night.

Write back the area you are in, and we can do the details for your area.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,567,418 times
Thermal mass is the concept of using heat sinks of some sort to collect heat during the day, and slowly releasing it at night. I've seen columns or barrels of water used in this way by lining the north wall of the greenhouse with them. Obviously, for a small greenhouse this might be more difficult to accomplish.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 PM

314 posts, read 928,176 times
They have what they call water walls, which collect heat during the day and release it at night.....might not fit a small greenhouse tho...havent researched them real well.

I dont heat my houses, I have two 17 x 100 and one 26 x 100. They are basicly used as cold frames to overwinter trees. In snowy weather may use a couple small propane heaters to keep snow from accumilating.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 AM

6,620 posts, read 13,475,437 times
What are you going to grow? Like cancan, I don't heat my greenhouses unless I'm growing seedlings in them in the spring. I grow/harvest greens all winter in Zone 4/5.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,319,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You've got a few options....

If you have electricity, you can use a little space heater, though that might be expensive. I did that a few years ago, and it worked well. The heater was on a timer, I just heated it at the coldest part of the day.

You could do do a propane heater, if you've got a fairly well ventilated greenhouse.

Finally, you could do what they did in the old days.They'd spread fresh cow manure on the floor of the greenhouse, and it would put out heat as it composted.

I guess a lot of it depends what kind of greenhouse you've got and how thick the walls are and how cold it gets where you are.
I have been thinking about a green house once I move. I was thinking maybe solar/wind turbine for electricity generation and then heater to warm the thing.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 32,542 times
New to forum: Have a small 6 x 6 plastic greenhouse. Tried a propane heater, but it did not last the night. Has anyone used milk jugs painted black & filled with hot water & antifreeze? I'm going to try bubble wrap also. Want to be able to grow carrots, greens, peas until about December.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 PM

23,551 posts, read 70,048,401 times
Insulation is the cheapest route. For something as small as 6x6, 2 litre soda bottles filled with water and stacked along the walls, inside a layer of bubble wrap would be a possibility. Add something dark to the water to help absorb heat from the sun during the day.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,393,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Thermal mass is the concept of using heat sinks of some sort to collect heat during the day, and slowly releasing it at night. I've seen columns or barrels of water used in this way by lining the north wall of the greenhouse with them. Obviously, for a small greenhouse this might be more difficult to accomplish.
Great idea, we use the Thermal Mass concept in sun collector rooms (sun spaces) in our green designs. You have a solid masonry or floor of a dark color that would collect the heat from the sun during the day, and slowly radiate that heat back into the house during the night. It works pretty darn well. Water jugs are used quite often as well, although the water looses the heat pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living