U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
 
13,074 posts, read 5,909,002 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
"Massively loud"? Hearing loss caused by a bag of chips? lol
Come on.
Wait til we have inoperable farming land and a horribly polluted environment to live in then talk about loss!
I didn't say it specifically will cause it through the use it, I think I noted such, so please do not falsely summarize me.

But it does reach a level of 90-95db, which is past the level of the beginning hearing loss levels. That is not to say that people don't run into this level normally through every day occurence, but its a chip bag and it didn't have this problem before.

Here is a demonstration of a man who measured the levels with a db meter.

The Sound of SunChips: 8 Things New 95-Decibel Biodegradable Bag is Louder Than

This is some information on the levels to which hearing loss occurs.

Type, Degree, and Configuration of Hearing Loss

Dangerous Decibels: About Hearing Loss

As I said, it isn't even the point I specifically focused on, but you didn't believe me, so there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
 
13,074 posts, read 5,909,002 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It would seem so.
I don't really eat them, so it doesn't have an effect on me. Personally, I don't think it wrong of people to object to something they dislike of a product and if there is enough demand (apparently there was as they dropped in sales roughly 11% because of it), then what they did was right. After all, a business serves the public, not the other way around. Lets face it, the issue here is people didn't like them and stopped buying them. If that is wrong, then that should disappoint people a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 838,562 times
Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I didn't say it specifically will cause it through the use it, I think I noted such, so please do not falsely summarize me.

But it does reach a level of 90-95db, which is past the level of the beginning hearing loss levels. That is not to say that people don't run into this level normally through every day occurence, but its a chip bag and it didn't have this problem before.

Here is a demonstration of a man who measured the levels with a db meter.

The Sound of SunChips: 8 Things New 95-Decibel Biodegradable Bag is Louder Than

This is some information on the levels to which hearing loss occurs.

Type, Degree, and Configuration of Hearing Loss

Dangerous Decibels: About Hearing Loss

As I said, it isn't even the point I specifically focused on, but you didn't believe me, so there you go.
It's not that I didn't believe you, but the idea of it in itself is just so ridiculous.
If that bag is so loud that certain people lose their hearing how in the world do they manage to get through the day with other loud noises? Dogs barking, traffic, construction, kids, jets flying overhead, peoples music booming in their cars, and so on! Guess they better live in a bubble.
I am not a Sun Chip eater, or any chip eater really....so it's not that I'm defending them but it just seems like a silly thing for people to complain about wheres there's a lot worse things going on in the world to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM
 
13,074 posts, read 5,909,002 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
It's not that I didn't believe you, but the idea of it in itself is just so ridiculous.
If that bag is so loud that certain people lose their hearing how in the world do they manage to get through the day with other loud noises? Dogs barking, traffic, construction, kids, jets flying overhead, peoples music booming in their cars, and so on! Guess they better live in a bubble.
I am not a Sun Chip eater, or any chip eater really....so it's not that I'm defending them but it just seems like a silly thing for people to complain about wheres there's a lot worse things going on in the world to complain about.
I agree, that is why it wasn't my main point, it was simply to demonstrate how loud the bag is. While there are many things in the world we encounter every day which are equally loud, the point was mainly that this is simply a chip bag, and for the same reason it sounds silly to see the bag as a source for hearing loss, it is also rather silly that a "chip bag" obtains this level of noise in the first place. This is not something to reasonably expect to be so loud and while car noises, dogs barking, etc... are encountered every day, most of these loud noises are not something we encounter and live with in the quiet of our own home.

There are many things out there that surely are more important than a complaint concerning a "chip bag", but the fact remains that this company depends on its customers continuing to buy their product and it is not unreasonable that a customer would discontinue using a product if they are required to endure an annoyance of the product, regardless of how small the matter is.

My position on the issue is that some of these product changes to a more "green" appeal often come with compromises of that of the customer. There were some green hard drives released a while back to which the drives were marketed as an "improvement" over their predecessors, they however were nothing of the kind. They were simply stripped down under powered models which provided less performance than those they supposedly "upgraded" from.

While using less power is a key component in many things, doing so at a loss of performance is simply unacceptable depending on need. I have no problem with people who choose to compromise those qualities for the sake of energy consumption or being "cleaner", but many can not afford such a choice without greatly adjusting their need and ultimately compromising with less.

In our free market environment, it is providing such that is a requirement for the success of the business. At the end of the day, it is not what a person thinks specifically about a product, it is whether they are willing to spend money on it. It is for this reason to which the Sun Chip company adjusted. That is, while they may desire a more cleaner product, that desire is irrelevant if nobody is buying it.

Personally I think the green movement is too fad based at the moment and because it is such, people are supporting products that really are a waste of money. If the fad did not exist and there were a legitimate concern and demand by the public, then these companies would focus on providing improvements to their product without such compromises because they know the customers will not accept anything less. Only then will we actually improve and move forward rather than simply pawning off inferior products to market off impulse movements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 838,562 times
Reputation: 673
When I went grocery shopping this morning, I picked up a bag of Sun Chips to see how loud it was.
While it was louder that the other bags....it wasn't anything to get worked up over. That's what bowl are for.

The only thing I've found unfortunate about environmentally friendly products is that they usually cost more. It's hard for people to buy that stuff when they don't have a lot of money to spend. The companies should try to bring the costs down if they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Interior AK
4,606 posts, read 4,490,747 times
Reputation: 3016
Rather than giving up their eco-bag and going back to the old plastic one, perhaps simply reformulating the eco-bag to be less noisy would be a less drastic step? Just because you don't succeed the first time doesn't mean you should just give up.
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The Rules Infractions & Deletions Who's the moderator? FAQ What is a "Personal Attack" What is "Trolling" Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 02:14 PM
 
13,074 posts, read 5,909,002 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
When I went grocery shopping this morning, I picked up a bag of Sun Chips to see how loud it was.
While it was louder that the other bags....it wasn't anything to get worked up over. That's what bowl are for.
It isn't the end of the world, I know, but notice who has to compromise here? As a customer, I am not going to pay 3-4 bucks (which I think is stupidly overpriced in the first place and a reason I don't buy them) for a bag of chips to which I must ditch the bag because it is loud. The whole point is the business attending to the needs of the consumer, not the other way around. As a poster above this mentioned, why can't they simply work to come up with a bag that achieves both? If it is so important, surely it is worth the effort of the business to achieve such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
The only thing I've found unfortunate about environmentally friendly products is that they usually cost more. It's hard for people to buy that stuff when they don't have a lot of money to spend. The companies should try to bring the costs down if they can.
Some may be due to the process, but a lot of it is due to the fact that it is "hip" and "trendy" to be green and so people will pay more outside of simply assessing value based on the product itself.

If they want me to get on the "green" bandwagon, then they need to work hard at providing a product that is equal or better than what it replaces (across the board) and cost the same or cheaper. If they can't do that, I shop based on the quality and cost aspects. I won't throw away money to get less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: The Woods
14,036 posts, read 12,000,706 times
Reputation: 5509
They could make a package out of a waxed paper product and it would be fairly eco-friendly and not very loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 05:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,946 posts, read 1,746,452 times
Reputation: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Rather than giving up their eco-bag and going back to the old plastic one, perhaps simply reformulating the eco-bag to be less noisy would be a less drastic step? Just because you don't succeed the first time doesn't mean you should just give up.
In an interview on NPR yesterday they said they are leaving the bags that the plain sun chips come in alone, and changing the other flavors' bags back to regular ones. They plan to work to develop a less-noisy eco-bag, and use the plain chips as a platform for testing. When they find something that works both ways they'll expand them to their whole line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 838,562 times
Reputation: 673
Well, like Pringles, they have chips that are not too pricey, and you can recycle the canister.
But a small bag of sun chips was almost $4.00, and when I say small I mean its like a regular bag but is less than what you get from other chips -such as Ruffles, which is cheaper too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top