Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Well, like Pringles, they have chips that are not too pricey, and you can recycle the canister.
But a small bag of sun chips was almost $4.00, and when I say small I mean its like a regular bag but is less than what you get from other chips -such as Ruffles, which is cheaper too.
*chuckle*

I used to like them (Pringles), but their product is silly expensive and they apply unethical packaging ploys to retain their price.

They used to sell a large package for 1 dollar. Then they upped the price to $1.50 while their competitor Lay stayed the same price ($1.00) for the same amount. Then they reduced the size of their product to half its original and lowered the price to a dollar again. The end result is that it is the same price as it was when it was larger at a $1.50, they simply are trying to fool people into thinking there is a savings when there is a loss of product, less product for money spent.

So, if I ever do by chips as such (I normally don't as all I do is eat them up fast and so I reserve them for special treats and only purchase occasionally), I buy the Lays. They are just as good in quality and are much cheaper in price. Also, I believe Lay's uses plastic which is far easier and more efficient in recycling that paper based products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
*chuckle*

I used to like them (Pringles), but their product is silly expensive and they apply unethical packaging ploys to retain their price.

They used to sell a large package for 1 dollar. Then they upped the price to $1.50 while their competitor Lay stayed the same price ($1.00) for the same amount. Then they reduced the size of their product to half its original and lowered the price to a dollar again. The end result is that it is the same price as it was when it was larger at a $1.50, they simply are trying to fool people into thinking there is a savings when there is a loss of product, less product for money spent.

So, if I ever do by chips as such (I normally don't as all I do is eat them up fast and so I reserve them for special treats and only purchase occasionally), I buy the Lays. They are just as good in quality and are much cheaper in price. Also, I believe Lay's uses plastic which is far easier and more efficient in recycling that paper based products.
Where are Lays 1 dollar? I bought some the other day(salt and vinegar is the bomb) and they were almost 3 dollars. Unless they have them at the dollar store?
I don't think 1.50 is bad for Pringles. And when I do have Pringles, I save the cylinder and reuse them to put weird shaped Christmas presents in, actually I do that with a lot of boxes and packages we use throughout the year.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Where are Lays 1 dollar? I bought some the other day(salt and vinegar is the bomb) and they were almost 3 dollars. Unless they have them at the dollar store?
I don't think 1.50 is bad for Pringles. And when I do have Pringles, I save the cylinder and reuse them to put weird shaped Christmas presents in, actually I do that with a lot of boxes and packages we use throughout the year.
Walmart (in North Texas).

The problem is, Pringles used to be a dollar before, but they raised their price. Since they made the price increase though, their sales have gone down, at least in that area. Recently, I have seen them lowered to $1.36 and put back into the full size tubes. I haven't done the numbers on the weight per cost to see if they are finally a good price again though.

As for me, I am picky about things costing so much. I worked some jobs in my youth that made similar products and the cost of product from creation to market is extremely small compared to the price they sell for. The product just isn't worth my money in many cases. /shrug

Old 10-10-2010, 06:22 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
And the research required to make a quiet, but still biodegradable bag, will further drive up the cost of the product contained in said bag. We cannot have it both ways.

I have two bags of Sun Chips in those "offensively noisy" bags. I also have a bag of taco-style chips in the regular old bag that, while it does make noise, is appreciably quieter.

Neither one makes enough noise to deter me from buying/eating the chips. If they would figure out a way to put a timer on the damn bag preventing me from opening it more than once a week - wouldn't that be swell for the ol' avoirdupois?!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
is it really biodegradable if it ends up in a landfill in an anaerobic situation. how many people are composting their lays bag?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:16 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Want to solve the issue of the bags? Give up eating chips altogether. They aren't good for you anyway. Problem solved.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
is it really biodegradable if it ends up in a landfill in an anaerobic situation. how many people are composting their lays bag?
it's biodegradable in that situation, it just won't break down.

I've been composting the bags, but they haven't been out long enough for me to know how well they're breaking down.

oh, well. it was a nice gesture, I hope they can improve the noise thing and bring the idea back.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
I cannot believe the things some people complain about:

Hush! Frito-Lay to pull most noisy SunChips bags - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101005/ap_on_bi_ge/us_noisy_sunchips_bag - broken link)

Heres a company trying to do something good for the environment and people complain about the "bag being too loud"!
Aren't all potato chip bags loud to a degree? haven't these people heard of a thing called a BOWL?
I'm not defending Sun chips because I eat them( Im not really much of a chip eater)....but some things that people complain about just irks me. Now, due to the complaints they are going back to mostly plastic bags . So much for trying to help the environment.
After reading this thread, I handled a bag of Sun Chips in the supermarket the other day. Yes, the bag is way too noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living