Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:34 AM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It's possible. It's also possible that it has something to do with people living longer. Those who in the 1940s would have died of a disease or heart attack before the age of 50, are no living to be in their 70s & 80s. Then, when an 88-year old dies of cancer, we all start yelling about the prevalence of cancer.
Stats on life span back then are skewed by a high infant mortality rate because vaccines and antiobiotics had not yet eliminated some childhood diseases that were deadly. A person who survived childhood a century ago had about as good a chance of living into their 70's as someone does today.

My mother nearly died of cancer in her 30's. And that's not an uncommon thing today. Reading the local obits I can find everyday someone young who died of cancer. One of my high school science teachers died of cancer in her 40's a year after I had her as my health class teacher (ironically).

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Stats on life span back then are skewed by a high infant mortality rate because vaccines and antiobiotics had not yet eliminated some childhood diseases that were deadly. A person who survived childhood a century ago had about as good a chance of living into their 70's as someone does today.

My mother nearly died of cancer in her 30's. And that's not an uncommon thing today. Reading the local obits I can find everyday someone young who died of cancer. One of my high school science teachers died of cancer in her 40's a year after I had her as my health class teacher (ironically).
I agree. I see the same things. It's especially eye-opening when people younger than me show up in the obituaries.

But we cannot just jump to conclusions about cause & effect. I could just as well say that all these people are dying young because Barack Obama is President (something that WOULD have been said back when Bush was in).

I don't know whether Americans - PER CAPITA - have more cancer today than any other time in history. But actually, I kind of doubt it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM

169 posts, read 237,546 times
It should be noted that Monsanto has a monopoly on ALL the lunch foods administered at elementary, jr. high and High schools, nationwide.

So bascially they are attacking your children while you're at work.

Brown bag it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreePress601 View Post
It should be noted that Monsanto has a monopoly on ALL the lunch foods administered at elementary, jr. high and High schools, nationwide.

So bascially they are attacking your children while you're at work.

Brown bag it.

**!!!Major League BS Alert!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Why don't the Monsanto lovers just eat thier crap and let us who do not want it have a choice.I dont want that stuff in my food. a simple sentence on the label wont hurt. heck the fake ingriedients on a simple loaf of bread are 150 words and mostly chemicals and processed junk. eat it and enjoy it .but I sure won't

Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Why don't the Monsanto lovers just eat thier crap and let us who do not want it have a choice.I dont want that stuff in my food. a simple sentence on the label wont hurt. heck the fake ingriedients on a simple loaf of bread are 150 words and mostly chemicals and processed junk. eat it and enjoy it .but I sure won't
Why don't the anti-Monsanto conspiracy theorists THINK, rather than just parrot what they read on blogs written by some city-born numbskulls?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
But there is more. Sales of Monsanto’s Roundup, the widely used herbicide, has collapsed this year under an onslaught of low-priced generics made in China. Weeds are growing resistant to Roundup, dimming the future of the entire Roundup Ready crop franchise. And the Justice Department is investigating Monsanto for possible antitrust violations.
China makes cheap imitations of thousands of American products and turns around and sells them here in America.

So what's so Earth-shattering about this?

Just more Americans out of jobs that's all.....

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
China makes cheap imitations of thousands of American products and turns around and sells them here in America.

So what's so Earth-shattering about this?

Just more Americans out of jobs that's all.....
Actually, what's really going on is that Monsanto's patent of glyphosate ran out quite a few years ago, so "aftermarket" companies are producing it. No real big deal, nor a surprise. Dow Chemical's patent on 2-4,D ran out decades ago, and all kinds of companies have been producing it for many years.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
By George, I think he's got it!

It ain't the PROFITs, it is the POSIONING of our food supply we HATE. No one I know would even be happy with EVIL MONSANTO if it was FREE.

Round-up, 2,D-4 and Bt foods are still KILLING us...FREE or otherwise.

It has NOTHING to do with profits...
BTW zthatz see what happened yesterday (4.9.2012)??? It shows what happens when paranoid fantasy meets the cold hard world of facts and reason...

E.P.A. Denies an Environmental Group’s Request to Ban a Widely Used Weed Killer

Quote:
In its ruling, the E.P.A. said that while some studies cited suggested that high doses of the chemical could be harmful, they did not establish lack of safety, and in some cases they were contradicted by other studies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/bu...kYoY78jrkW/+VQ

You know zthatz, are you aware of who makes 2,4-D? I know you were really excited to post so will excuse your mistake of 2,D-4 unless you were snorting it like that French farmer....

Dow Chemical is thought to be the major manufacturer, though the E.P.A. has also approved versions from Nufarm, an Australian company, and Agro-Gor, a joint venture of PBI/Gordon of Kansas City, Mo., and Atanor of Argentina.

I know you've been asked this numerous times before but I'll try once again:

Since Round-up has been used for decades along with 2,4-D and and BT foods why hasn't almost all life been killed off?

Last edited by plwhit; 04-10-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Since Round-up has been used for decades along with 2,4-D and and BT foods why hasn't almost all life been killed off?

Even an alumni such as yourself is aware there are veterans and their families still dying with the aliments caused by Agent Orange in Viet Nam..or are they all just imagining their medical problems?

Since you fly the POW-MIA tag, you have to be aware of this...

Therefore you must be intelligent enough to know death is slow in coming and life around us is mutating to adapt and over come herbicides..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.