U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,391,773 times
Reputation: 687

Advertisements

At some places I have worked (and even at home) there have been the blue recycling containers for recyclable waste. yet many many times I have found trash thrown into the regular garbage can.
I remember going to one of my 3rd shift jobs and taking recyclable garbage out of the trash that thoughtless people had just thrown in there. It drives me crazy!
Why do people do this when there is clearly a container for recyclable waste? I would always find newspapers, those huge soda cups from Circle K, gallon milk jugs,etc... I would even make a sign @ wk asking people to please recycle and people would still do it! Are people truly that lazy to walk a few more yards to the blue container to dispose of their trash?
Do people just not care about the planet?
At least at home it doesn't happen often, my kids are on board with recycling, it's usually people that come over...but then I let them know
Well, that's my rant for today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,855,825 times
Reputation: 10898
My room mate is on a recycling kick.

She even wants me to recycle those things I can. But they don't come pick them up, she has to drive to bring them in.

Meanwhile, they're piling up, taking up every flat surface in the house. Eventually, she'll throw them in the back of her pickup and take them in, but the fact is? I'm really sick of looking at all that crud, and would just as soon throw it away in the dumpster we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 18,876,261 times
Reputation: 6161
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Why do people do this when there is clearly a container for recyclable waste?
Unless employer makes it a requirment of the work, people are going to do what they want.

Our company has a recycling policy written into the employee handbook. Not recycling according to workplace standards is an offense just like not doing anyother thing your required to do. You can be written up for putting a plastic bottle in the trash. If the employer does not make it a requirment of the job, not recycling is left up to the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,391,773 times
Reputation: 687
Okay...but why not do it if it is there? Especially if it is going to help the planet ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 PM
 
4,628 posts, read 8,939,330 times
Reputation: 4223
Because people are creatures of habit, i.e., lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM
 
2,671 posts, read 2,670,538 times
Reputation: 1979
We implemented the first phase of a recycling program on the complex of my job site. We had recycle trailers clearly marked and people would through trash, food waste, and anything you can think of in those trailers.

We had large recycle trash cans, clearly marked, and people will through trash in them.

People are idiots. They're lazy, and some do it out of defiance.

It's as if they say to themselves, "I'll show those peace-lovin', God hatin', planet lovin', climate change believin' little twerps. I'm throwing a hamburger in your paper bin!! Yes, I am! Make my day, you little hippie! I gots my guns, my God, and me brains! Okay, maybe not much brains, but my 4X4 dually makes up for my lack of brain power!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,391,773 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
We implemented the first phase of a recycling program on the complex of my job site. We had recycle trailers clearly marked and people would through trash, food waste, and anything you can think of in those trailers.

We had large recycle trash cans, clearly marked, and people will through trash in them.

People are idiots. They're lazy, and some do it out of defiance.

It's as if they say to themselves, "I'll show those peace-lovin', God hatin', planet lovin', climate change believin' little twerps. I'm throwing a hamburger in your paper bin!! Yes, I am! Make my day, you little hippie! I gots my guns, my God, and me brains! Okay, maybe not much brains, but my 4X4 dually makes up for my lack of brain power!
Nice to see you on here!
Yeah it amazes me how lazy and inconsiderate some people are....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,170 posts, read 23,351,070 times
Reputation: 19665
Because it is a pain in the neck to seperate garbage. It is just easier to throw everything out in one trash can.
The office doesn't recycle anything.

In my home, I do not want more garbage cans all over to sort garbage, all goes in 1 bag.

as far as caring about the planet...... Our Planet gives us floods, earthquakes, fires, freezing temperatures, blazing hot temperatures, blizzards, tsunamis, and a great many other things......and yet we are supposed to take care of it?????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,170 posts, read 23,351,070 times
Reputation: 19665
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Okay...but why not do it if it is there? Especially if it is going to help the planet ....


read my loast post about the Planet, and the amazing destructive things it can and has done.....

yet by us recycling, it will make it better.....???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Location: North Phoenix
1,128 posts, read 1,391,773 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Because it is a pain in the neck to seperate garbage. It is just easier to throw everything out in one trash can.
The office doesn't recycle anything.

In my home, I do not want more garbage cans all over to sort garbage, all goes in 1 bag.

as far as caring about the planet...... Our Planet gives us floods, earthquakes, fires, freezing temperatures, blazing hot temperatures, blizzards, tsunamis, and a great many other things......and yet we are supposed to take care of it?????????
A pain in the neck? Are you serious? It's that hard for you to have 2 (not "a bunch of garbage cans") separate containers one for regular garbage and one for plastics, paper,etc??
And your really justifying your actions by comparing the deeds of feeling, intelligent human beings to the actions the volatile and unpredictable forces of nature that occur on our planet??
Our lives depend on how this planet does. Right, we cannot control everything. But throwing toxic waste into rivers or buried out in the desert gives us poisoning, cutting down trees makes landslides and floods much easier to occur-just to name a few consequences of what has occurred when the planet is treated irresponsibly.
I guess you do not realize what a fragile balance we really do have between us and the planet, or I suppose you are just soooo busy it is way too difficult to have 2 containers instead of one.

Now people that live in apt complexes I understand b/c they do not have recycling bins but if you have your own home or your at a business and just don't give a da*% well, shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:24 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top