U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM

28,192 posts, read 47,516,886 times

Advertisements

I recently took my family to Yellowstone, and the shooting geysers and supervolcano got me wonderingócan't we tap all that energy to produce electricity?

The pros and cons of geothermal energy. - By Nina Shen Rastogi - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 AM

8,579 posts, read 8,497,595 times
Of course it could! Look at Iceland. The problem is that the minute you try to build a powerplant and transmission line in/out of the Yellowstone caldera, you'll have so many greenies on your hindend you'll never get them off.............Same problem with hydro. "how dare we alter nature for the use of mankind" and don't give me that crap about cost vs availabilty of river locations!!!The green lobby needs to take off their mask and admit they want to eradicate the majority of that planetwide infestation called humans........

Old 11-01-2010, 10:39 AM

1,811 posts, read 974,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Of course it could! Look at Iceland. The problem is that the minute you try to build a powerplant and transmission line in/out of the Yellowstone caldera, you'll have so many greenies on your hindend you'll never get them off.............Same problem with hydro. "how dare we alter nature for the use of mankind" and don't give me that crap about cost vs availabilty of river locations!!!The green lobby needs to take off their mask and admit they want to eradicate the majority of that planetwide infestation called humans........
Your observation is spot on. It isn't about the environment, or whales, or seals, or bear or anything like that. Those issues are just the hammer used to beat away at civilization until it is extinguished.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 PM

220 posts, read 386,491 times
The article was interesting and informative. Improvements in digital mapping techniques will take most of the quesswork out of the process of putting plants online without breaching geological faults.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,795,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Well, you have a point. The global population is around 9 billion and it's still growing exponentially. And........we Americans are the greediest and most wasteful when it comes to natural resource and energy use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living