Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yeah, your well is magically connected to "The Source of Never Used Water!"

Jealous????

Yes pure clean "never used" water. You guessed it.

It is a 400 foot deep underground aquifer that flows through granite and shale in my neck of the woods. Not much chance of pollution that deep. I suppose if you drilled a well right next to it and poured poison down it, it would pollute, but other than that, either you don't know much about geology and drilled artisian wells, or you never have had one. No magic here, just nature's pure clean water better than you can likely get in a bottle at the store.

Here is some education for you so you don't embarrass yourself in this issue again:

Artestian water and artesian wells; groundwater and aquifers, from USGS Water Science for Schools

Maybe you've heard advertisements by water companies wanting to sell you "artesian-well drinking water." Is this water different from other bottled water taken from springs?
The water may not be different, but it comes to the earth's surface a bit differently. Groundwater in aquifers between layers of poorly permeable rock, such as clay or shale, may be confined under pressure. If such a confined aquifer is tapped by a well, water will rise above the top of the aquifer and may even flow from the well onto the land surface. Water confined in this way is said to be under artesian pressure, and the aquifer is called an artesian aquifer. The word artesian comes from the town of Artois in France, the old Roman city of Artesium, where the best known flowing artesian wells were drilled in the Middle Ages. The level to which water will rise in tightly cased wells in artesian aquifers is called the potentiometric surface.
Deep wells drilled into rock to intersect the water table and reaching far below it are often called artesian wells in ordinary conversation, but this is not necessarily a correct use of the term. Such deep wells may be just like ordinary, shallower wells; great depth alone does not automatically make them artesian wells. The word artesian, properly used, refers to situations where the water is confined under pressure below layers of relatively impermeable rock. The picture to the right shows an artesian well with the potentiometric surface being just above the land surface, but, as the picture above shows, artesian pressure can be very strong!

Last edited by brien51; 12-02-2010 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
No matter where you get your water it probably has some animals waste material in it.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
^^^

Lots of words, and I'm sure its great water, but doesn't change the fact it has been used before.

All water is recycled.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No matter where you get your water it probably has some animals waste material in it.
Try reading the link for artisian and drilled wells. It would take a long time for animal waste to filter down through 400 feet of granite and shale which would act as a natural filter long before it ever gets to the 400 ft aquifer.

No my water has been laboratory tested and shows a trace element of maganese, that is all. It is as pure as the filtered water you see on the Zero water on TV commercials and it is all natural. No waste, no chlorine, and no rust.

You all must be city folk who know nothing about deep drilled wells. I feel sorry for you and your poor water quality.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
^^^

Lots of words, and I'm sure its great water, but doesn't change the fact it has been used before.

All water is recycled.

Why do you keep inisting upon what you don't know?

All water is NOT recycled.

Prove that all water is recycled with a link and geological proof or continue embarrassing yourself Take your choice. I yi yi

Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Where exactly do you think the water that percolates down into your artesian well come from?!

There is a little something called "The Water Cycle" it consists of evaporation, condensation and precipitation and every water molecule on the planet has gone through this process, and, artisan well or not, those water molecules came into contact with other molecules as they work their way through the cycle. Some of it is slowed down when it freezes but it still went through and is going through the cycle.

Now this is a test.

http://education.jlab.org/reading/water_cycle.html

Let me guess, you also don't believe that dinosaurs existed.

Talk about speaking from ignorance.

Last edited by T. Damon; 12-02-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
It isn't the urine you need to worry about. Waste watering processing facilities are pretty good at reclaiming water. The problem is that there is no process for removing medications from the water. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and medications like estrogen are in our drinking water. Estrogen is raising havoc on the marine life in our waters. Without a doubt it is also effecting all of us. Urine in the water should be the least of your concerns.
My wife works in waste water treatment. She said the worse is when meth houses flush their chemicals, it kills all their bacteria used for breaking down waste. They are very protective of their bacteria and think of them as pets.

She has stated before there is no new freshwater in the world that has not been drank before. Our world is 75% water yet only 10% of it is fresh water.
I have read studies that compare today's society possible collapse to Rome's collapse. It will occur over fresh water availability, all ready states are fighting over available water.
I can see one day a water pipeline much like Alaska's oil pipeline. Every year we see floods in the south east, why not manage this and pipe it across the nation instead of letting it run off to the ocean.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Where exactly do you think the water that percolates down into your artesian well come from?!

There is a little something called "The Water Cycle" it consists of evaporation, condensation and precipitation and every water molecule on the planet has gone through this process, and, artisan well or not, those water molecules came into contact with other molecules as they work their way through the cycle. Some of it is slowed down when it freezes but it still went through and is going through the cycle.

Now this is a test.

Reading Comprehension - The Water Cycle

Let me guess, you also don't believe that dinosaurs existed.

Talk about speaking from ignorance.
Hmm, I really dislike their Scientific Method process, I know its for young kids, but they omit the most important step in the method which is verification and validation (which if not validated, leads back to hypothesis revision). They go straight from analyze the data to conclusion which is misleading as it gives the impression that the process exists simply to come to a conclusion, which is contrary to its very existence.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Somebody may be drinking recycled pee but in ain't gonna be me.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
It's possible that brien's water has never passed through a human, since residence time in aquifers can be thousands of years. But life has been on earth for a billion years or so: chances are that water was on the surface and inside a bacterium at one time or another.

Groundwater is not problem free. Overwithdrawl being a serious problem in some areas, especially areas that pump water for agricultural use. There isn't a limitless supply of the stuff! Also, hazardous waste holding ponds and injection wells (where factories pump bad stuff into the aquifer) can eventually seep into residential wells. (See also "Love Canal"). There's also natural contamination from bedrock of metals and possibly arsenic.

But still, most groundwater is safe as long as its tested periodically for contaminants. And its certainly preferable to getting surface water from a downstream source (say, being the 200th municipality on the Colorado River's downstream journey.... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living