U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 AM

559 posts, read 1,123,576 times

Advertisements

I'd like to try composting in a plastic storage bin but every website I've read says that holes are necessary for aeration, drainage and possibly to allow worms or other organisms to enter the compost. Is it possible to compost in a closed, non-vented plastic storage bin? I'd rather not have to perforate it so that I can move it without stuff falling out of it and also so I can re-use it if composting isn't for me. What if I leave the lid ajar and/or frequently turn the mixture? I live in L.A. so freezing is not an issue although winter overnight lows can dip into the 40's.

I recently went to a local green-living show and spoke to a woman who had compost in a non-drilled plastic bin of the sort used to store household items. I asked her if she was composting in that container and she said, "yes." At the time, I didn't know enough about home composting so I didn't ask any good follow-up questions.

Most composting sites recommend against composting meat and dairy due to problems of odor and animal intrusion. A closed plastic container wouldn't be as vulnerable as a wire mesh cube so is it possible to compost small amounts of meat bits? What about fish bones? The movie, "Dirt," showed a city composting mountains of fish waste into dark, rich, non-stinky compost. If composting is a no-go, what is the ecologically right thing to do with meat and dairy waste (besides not consuming it in the first place)?

I understand that paper and cardboard are compostable. Is it ecologically more sensible to recycle those (saving trees) rather than compost them? I'm especially wondering about corrugated cardboard and brown paper bags, which use long, high quality fibers for strength, and presumably can go through multiple rounds of recycling?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,295,544 times
Feral cats are a good disposal system for meat and dairy waste. But it has to be fresh. Even feral cats have good taste.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

220 posts, read 387,232 times
I have a vermiculture setup in the basement, using two large plastic totes. One tote (1) has had 1/16 inch holes drilled into it in the bottom, sides and lid. The second tote (2) has two pieces of PVC pipe in the bottom. The drilled tote is placed inside the second tote, using the pipes as spacers for the compost tea to drain into the bottom of tote (2). I loaded the tote (1) with about a half gallon of dirt, some dried leaves, shredded paper, coffee grounds, filters, egg shells, etc. and two dozen red worms.

Ten months later I have plenty of worms, dark rich compost, compost tea, and an indoor method of getting rid of most kitchen waste. There is no odor. No flying insects. The biggest hassle is lifting the full tote (1) to remove compost tea as desired.

If I were to make another, I think I would use a tote that has been fitted with a drain valve for removing the liquid by-products. There are many videos available on YouTube if you want some visual cues on how to make your own equipment.

I know enough folks with dogs that I have no problem getting rid of any meat scraps. Worms aren't overly fond of citrus, so I put those peels through the garbage disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living