U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:27 PM

17,753 posts, read 53,902,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Take out the film and burn them. Makes for great fireworks. I used to light up 8mm film when I was a kid.
??? 8mm film has always been safety film. You might have gotten it to melt and burn, but nothing like nitrate film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 AM

9,759 posts, read 5,435,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I've got lots of old tapes from the years when I worked night shift and would tape my favorite programs. They are taking up precious shelf space but I don't know if they can be recycled but I'm betting that someone on this forum can tell me.

Any insight offered is much appreciated.

Z.
Well, two things.

I generally donate my tapes to Goodwill and I donate them blanked.

The latter is just part of the practice in that information security, my personal, "requires" that media be blanked before disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Whats wrong with DVD's? They are far superior to VHS cassettes.
Tape is more flexible. I don't tape now because I have turned away from TV but a few years ago when I wanted to tape something that was going to be delayed by a sports game or a speech, I would just throw in a long playing tape as I left for work. Tape also doesn't present as complex a disposal problem when the recording is temporary; one just tapes over it.

I won't knock the DVD; Lord knows I buy them by the hundreds to convert my tapes, but they are a bit "strict" to use when the source material is rather undefined such as when it will occur. For example, one might say, "Well, just throw in a DVD on 8 hours." but then the quality suffers. I get decent quality transfer of I want from a long playing VHS to a SP recording DVD.

Further, the way the consumer technology is set up, recording DVD from a VHS is much more common in the home (professionals are something else) than trying to do it DVD (say recorded at SLP) to DVD (recording SP). The latter would probably take at least two machines and a few cables.

WHICH LEADS US back to the OP where there might be in your local area private individuals, if dinosaurs like me, who still have uses for tape. Myself as I convert, I hold on to the 6.5-8-10-12H tapes and some of my 6H......just in case.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-19-2017 at 04:16 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM

500 posts, read 348,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
??? 8mm film has always been safety film. You might have gotten it to melt and burn, but nothing like nitrate film.
I find them to burn quite nicely, but it helps if you burn a bunch at the same time. Tossed a few in the barrel last week after it was nice and hot and there was not one remnant left after an hour.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 AM

39,211 posts, read 40,596,564 times
Put them in the free section on CL, somebody will probably take them.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,624,710 times
I take everything apart before I pitch it.
The plastic reels come in handy. I saved a few for string, thread, scotch tape or fishing line. And I always save any screws. My basement looks like a hardware store.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM

3,490 posts, read 4,932,309 times
Many charitable thrift stores sell VHS tapes. Donate them and get a receipt for a tax deduction.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM

509 posts, read 296,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
DVDs have ~500 lines of resolution. VHS is ~220 lines of resolution. Big difference. Yet I tend to quit noticing the picture quality after awhile.
A much bigger difference than I ever dreamed, I might add. The first time I saw a DVD, I was shocked at how much more I noticed in the movie, all kinds of details I had completely missed with low-res VHS.

HDTV astounded me even more. I can't believe how low-res my younger self's world was.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 AM

711 posts, read 438,447 times
earth911.com has a good search function for places in your area that recycle specific things. Just type in the item and your zip. In my area, it seems that most places that recycle plastics will accept the tapes. I don't think they're allowable in our weekly recyclable bin though. Obviously the rules vary by area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living