U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

3,794 posts, read 4,893,086 times

Advertisements

I just cleaned out a drawer and have about ten old keys that don't work. Before I take them to the waste facility,does anyone have any suggestions for reuse in the house or yard? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,591,094 times
Old keys sometimes will work with new and old locks. You'd be surprised how old keys still full fill their purpose when you lose a key to a lock. Hold on to them. This happened to me once when my wife locked our car keys in the trunk of my brand new car by accident. My father had several keys collected over the years and told me not to worry, one of these old keys will open it. I thought no way but sure enough a key fit and opened the truck. The key was 30 years old.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,978,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I just cleaned out a drawer and have about ten old keys that don't work. Before I take them to the waste facility,does anyone have any suggestions for reuse in the house or yard? Thanks.
Put them on a key ring together and hang on to them. You'll only find the lock they match after you throw them away. Murphy's law!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,474,212 times
I have quite a few old keys also from old houses and cars. I did a google search for some ideas. Here's what I found:

Craft Uses For Keys

Uses for Old Keys | eHow.com

How to Creatively Recycle Your House Keys - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Not many photos and some of the ideas are duplicated, but I thought these were interesting.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 PM

10,148 posts, read 14,920,350 times
I'd keep them, too, just in case!

If not, list them as free on Craigslist or similar; I'm sure someone out there will take them (for a craft project, etc.) Keys do seem like a hot item for crafts these days.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 16,865 times
You can go to keymaker and tell him to make the duplicate key for your other locks using those keys

Old 01-21-2011, 11:45 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,733,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Old keys sometimes will work with new and old locks. You'd be surprised how old keys still full fill their purpose when you lose a key to a lock. Hold on to them. This happened to me once when my wife locked our car keys in the trunk of my brand new car by accident. My father had several keys collected over the years and told me not to worry, one of these old keys will open it. I thought no way but sure enough a key fit and opened the truck. The key was 30 years old.
That's just pure luck because a simple 5 pin key has over 6 million functions and a standard 6 pin key has closer to 8 million functions.

Not to mention the functions of 7,8, and 9 pin keys.

I don't fool with car keys but last I looked they are cut on both sides, that would double the functions of the keyed lock so I would think the function would start around 12 million and go up from there.

busta

Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,733,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneJak123 View Post
You can go to keymaker and tell him to make the duplicate key for your other locks using those keys

That won't work. Each lock manufacture makes a specific key profile that will only fit their lock and once a key is cut it can not be re-cut. You can take the lock cylinder and key if they match and have the cylinder re-keyed to fit the key.

busta

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,978,005 times
Use them as fishing line weights.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM

10,508 posts, read 13,998,419 times
As a locksmith we recycle them. I toss them in a brass bucket and the recycler gives me what ever the going rate in brass is at the time. Even those nickel colored keys are brass. They are plated. I would doubt having an old key that happened to fit a new car. It worked in years past but not today. For the most part manufactures are taking back that part of the business.

Here is a suggestion that works. write down on a pad of paper any lock you have. Make a list starting with house, car, work, and items that are in each. Match up your locks with your keys and toss the rest. No need to have them taking up space. You could also purchase a box with slots to hang copies of the keys you have. When you have a new item that takes a key place a copy in the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living