U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,319,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I would be concerned. It's not just the benzene (and it's not just 'a little' benzene). There are also a lot of additional contaminants associated with the gas drilling. I've seen maps like these:

Barnett Shale Map (http://www.barnettshaledata.com/ - broken link)

and it makes me wonder how this much intense drilling in such a densely populated area is going to affect health and property values.
If you have well water it's a good idea to test your well before the rigs spuds. That way you have a baseline to compare it to. "It tastes different after the drilling rig" is not going to fly in court in the event something goes wrong and, really, neither is "I promise that this arsenic wasn't in the water before even though I can't prove that".

I'm not going to say that long-term, heavily concentrated oil & gas development will not have an impact on the local environment or property values, but I can tell you that the Texas RRC does its job quite well - probably the most experienced and best oil & gas regulatory agency in the world (Although I would say playing second or third fiddle behind the Saudi royals in terms of reservoir conservation, but this is because English common law and diverse private mineral ownership simply lends itself to some incidental waste) but they are quite good at protecting water zones and many of the problems that Pennsylvania is having right now were solved here before 1950. The really bad thing is to live in the middle of a really old oilfield in East Texas. Just about anything would fly in those days and there are a lot of old, deteriorating, inactive pipelines in the ground containing god-knows-what, a lot of old, abandoned wellbores with no cement and/or no casing isolating groundwater from old depleted hydrocarbon zones that have been colonized by anaerobes and now generate hydrogen sulfide and no one even knows the location of many of them.

FWIW, after Gasland was released the volume of telephone and mail traffic from concerned, sometimes panicked, landowners surged. People started testing their water wells and doing everything they could to ambush a big, bad oil company. We are yet to have anyone demonstrate an impact on well water from drilling, fracture stimulation, acid stimulation or any other well operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,319,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFields View Post
Thank you jimboburnsy for your thoughts as I just met with the manager at TCEQ yesterday. You do have a lot of great points that I considered and have researched. As a mother, I just see the drill as one more strike against my daughters health...this is such a tough decision!
It's the right thing to be concerned, but doing something that will potentially alter your family's income or financial status may not be justified.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM

59 posts, read 140,445 times
It will be a well head long term

Old 01-31-2011, 04:12 PM

12,545 posts, read 18,396,261 times
Quote:
Thank you jimboburnsy for your thoughts as I just met with the manager at TCEQ yesterday. You do have a lot of great points that I considered and have researched. As a mother, I just see the drill as one more strike against my daughters health...this is such a tough decision!
how difficult is it to move? judging by what's going on in PA right now where i grew up and how some drilling is destroying their water supply, i'd move. problem is, where would you move to? every place has it's environmental problems...

also, many people don't realize all the toxins that exist in their home that they are exposed to every day. you could be much worse off in your house because of cleaning supplies and other materials in your home, and not ventilating your home enough, than just living close to a gas drill.

in the end, we can all do our best to limit exposure to some things, reduce consumption of others, and recycle/reuse as much as possible. but some things, we just can't control.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,407,524 times
Quote:
Natural gas drills can emit benzene which is a carcinogen and benzene is linked to leukemia.
It depends on the amount of benzene one would be exposed to. Keep in mind that the National Cancer Institute states that a person can ingest up to 250 micrograms daily safely (which is far more than one could reasonably be exposed to by even second hand smoke). Benzene is normally found in fruits, fish, vegetables, nuts, dairy products, beverages, and eggs.

Now you can take the NCI, EPA, ALA and others with a grain of salt as they have been shown to use shoddy statistical practice to assess their risks (which you might even consider concerning the research you have read that links benzene to leukemia, meaning you may wish to evaluate the research in extreme detail to see if their methods are sound or if they rely heavily on poorly constructed epidemiological studies).

My main point is that if you haven't been concerned about how much she is coming into contact with other sources, then it might be a bit overzealous to be getting alarmed with this.

If you are extremely serious about it, then I would suggest an extensive look into all of the research and possible sources of exposure. You should look very closely at it (the original research, not summaries, fact sheets or research that refers through stacking as these are often politically motivated and assumptive summaries without proper support).

Don't jump to conclusions as you could go through a lot of trouble to move only to find out that your efforts are without any significant meaning.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:45 AM

59 posts, read 140,445 times
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I really appreciate your input

Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM

469 posts, read 957,825 times
I would definitely consider moving if I was in your shoes. Especially with your daughters health risk, and especially if you get your water from a well. I watched a video recently of uv video footage of a nat gas tank. Under regular light it looked fine, but in the uv footage there were plumes of chemicals billowing out from miniscule leaks. We don't have the best air quality, but I'd check out Knoxville, TN or the mountains near here. It is a great region to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living