U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM
 
59 posts, read 140,696 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

There will be a natural gas drill going up approx. 1,000 feet from my home. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should move. Our daughter is a survivor of leukemia. Natural gas drills can emit benzene which is a carcinogen and benzene is linked to leukemia. We live in Texas and would love to move to Colorado, but know there is a lot of drilling going on there as well and have heard many stories about the drilling contaminating the water. I am also looking at North Carolina to move away from the drilling.

Any information as far as if you would move, where would you move to be away from the drilling (a place with great air and water quality)? My first priority is to keep my children healthy and safe, would also like a place with good schools, family oriented place (we have a 6 and 3 year old), place with lots for kids to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,390,741 times
Reputation: 7084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFields View Post
There will be a natural gas drill going up approx. 1,000 feet from my home. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should move. Our daughter is a survivor of leukemia. Natural gas drills can emit benzene which is a carcinogen and benzene is linked to leukemia. We live in Texas and would love to move to Colorado, but know there is a lot of drilling going on there as well and have heard many stories about the drilling contaminating the water. I am also looking at North Carolina to move away from the drilling.

Any information as far as if you would move, where would you move to be away from the drilling (a place with great air and water quality)? My first priority is to keep my children healthy and safe, would also like a place with good schools, family oriented place (we have a 6 and 3 year old), place with lots for kids to do.
To put the levels of benzene at a wellsite found to be in violation of safe levels established by the TCEQ in perspective:

An operator in NE Texas was cited for being "hundreds of times in excess" of the recommended safe exposure limit of 1.4 parts-per-billion with a localized concentration of 1,100 ppb. That sounds pretty scary, right?

Well, you are literally receiving hundreds or thousands of times the dose of the safe exposure limit every time you put gas in your car, smoke a cigarette, share a room with someone smoking a cigarette, sit in your car in traffic, burn wood or peat in your fireplace OR live in certain parts of DALLAS, TX (among others). At 1,000' from a well site, a plume of pure benzene issuing from a gaping hole in the production tanks is virtually guaranteed to have attenuated to lesser concentrations than those that are sustained inside your house, particularly if your floors are wax finished or you have any wax finished wood furniture.

There isn't really a practical way to avoid exposure to benzene and other carcinogens short of doing the whole "Thoreau" thing. Do your research and think very carefully before you take any permanent or contractually obligating action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 AM
 
96 posts, read 140,997 times
Reputation: 90
North Carolina has 67 coal plants. The air quality isn't the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 06:45 AM
 
Location: The Woods
16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Reputation: 9051
I'd be more worried about an accident (read: explosion)...

The air quality is fairly fine in most of Vermont (outside Burlington and a few other cities), New Hampshire, Maine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 13,093,039 times
Reputation: 3568
Afew years ago a train derailed and one of the tank cars was a tanker of benzene.
they evacuated Superior Wi and Duluth MN.

If you have health concerns moving may be your only option. Well the gas Co hut you out?

July 01, 1992| From Times Wire Services DULUTH, Minn. A derailed freight train tank car plunged off a 135-foot-high river trestle and ruptured Tuesday, spilling thousands of gallons of benzene and forcing at least 50,000 people in two states to flee the resulting cloud of toxic vapor, officials said.
At least 25 people were taken to hospitals in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and about 260 National Guard and Army Reserve troops were mobilized


.Benzene Spill Superior Wi - Train Derails on Wisconsin River Forcing 50,000 to Flee Toxic Spill - Los Angeles Times

Crews worked to contain the leak, but by about 5:30 A.M. the authorities began asking people to leave. "They woke us up about 5:50 A.M. using the P.A.'s in their police cars," said Louis T. Willie, an official in Douglas County, Wis., which includes Superior. "They said: 'Evacuate. There has been a chemical spill.' "

Benzene is a flammable liquid used as a solvent and in making plastics, insecticides, detergents and paints. The vapor was not considered life-threatening, but people exposed to it complained of dizziness, headaches and burning eyes and skin.50,000 Flee Toxic Vapors Released as Train Derails - NYTimes.com







Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
At 1,000' from a well site, a plume of pure benzene issuing from a gaping hole in the production tanks is virtually guaranteed to have attenuated to lesser concentrations than those that are sustained inside your house, particularly if your floors are wax finished or you have any wax finished wood furniture.

Do your research and think very carefully before you take any permanent or contractually obligating action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
 
59 posts, read 140,696 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you for your input on this very important issue. Any advice is really appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
 
59 posts, read 140,696 times
Reputation: 18
Thank you jimboburnsy for your thoughts as I just met with the manager at TCEQ yesterday. You do have a lot of great points that I considered and have researched. As a mother, I just see the drill as one more strike against my daughters health...this is such a tough decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Reputation: 6215
DFields, will it be an operational long-term drilling setup or is the drill a temporary thing and all that will remain afterwards is a wellhead? Many natural gas wells exist within communities and all that is visible after the drilling is a well head that can be disquised as a shed or may look like a water well pump. Its good you know its there instead of the thousands who have no idea they live next to a natural gas wellhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,309 posts, read 34,390,741 times
Reputation: 7084
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Afew years ago a train derailed and one of the tank cars was a tanker of benzene.
they evacuated Superior Wi and Duluth MN.

If you have health concerns moving may be your only option. Well the gas Co hut you out?

July 01, 1992| From Times Wire Services DULUTH, Minn. A derailed freight train tank car plunged off a 135-foot-high river trestle and ruptured Tuesday, spilling thousands of gallons of benzene and forcing at least 50,000 people in two states to flee the resulting cloud of toxic vapor, officials said.
At least 25 people were taken to hospitals in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and about 260 National Guard and Army Reserve troops were mobilized


.Benzene Spill Superior Wi - Train Derails on Wisconsin River Forcing 50,000 to Flee Toxic Spill - Los Angeles Times

Crews worked to contain the leak, but by about 5:30 A.M. the authorities began asking people to leave. "They woke us up about 5:50 A.M. using the P.A.'s in their police cars," said Louis T. Willie, an official in Douglas County, Wis., which includes Superior. "They said: 'Evacuate. There has been a chemical spill.' "

Benzene is a flammable liquid used as a solvent and in making plastics, insecticides, detergents and paints. The vapor was not considered life-threatening, but people exposed to it complained of dizziness, headaches and burning eyes and skin.50,000 Flee Toxic Vapors Released as Train Derails - NYTimes.com




This is really a matter of scale. I would feel very, very confident in the assertion that the instantaneous release of 1,000 bbls of pure, liquid-state benzene from a tank battery on a well-site or tank farm is impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM
dgz
 
800 posts, read 3,005,720 times
Reputation: 671
I would be concerned. It's not just the benzene (and it's not just 'a little' benzene). There are also a lot of additional contaminants associated with the gas drilling. I've seen maps like these:

Barnett Shale Map (http://www.barnettshaledata.com/ - broken link)

and it makes me wonder how this much intense drilling in such a densely populated area is going to affect health and property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top