Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
best bet if you really like "bottled" water taste (i'm assuming the ones that are spring water, since most bottled water is nothing special except filtered at a pepsi or coke plant), i'd buy a larger jug of it, and use that to fill up your own bottle (like a kleen kanteen type bottle). at least then you'd reduce the bottling portion of your bottled water habit!

i love when i get peligrino in glass bottles instead of plastic. it has a slight off taste to it in the plastic, and the glass keeps it colder.
Could you please stick to the topic of plastic bags. You can take your bottled water agenda somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
funny that waste management runs those types of facilities now. guess we're at that day eh?
Check your city's budget. You will see an niice big allocation for recycling services. Sorry, nice try.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM

371 posts, read 393,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Could you please stick to the topic of plastic bags. You can take your bottled water agenda somewhere else.

Could you please stick to the topic of plastic bags. You can take your telling people to change topics agenda somewhere else.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Oh the intolerance of the green movement.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Could you please stick to the topic of plastic bags. You can take your telling people to change topics agenda somewhere else.
Oh, I was confused. I thought the topic was plastic bags not plastic bags and bottled water. If the bottled water comes in a plastic bag, would that be OK to talk about?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 PM

371 posts, read 393,311 times
Quote:
Oh, I was confused. I thought the topic was plastic bags not plastic bags and bottled water. If the bottled water comes in a plastic bag, would that be OK to talk about?
I think it depends on the type of water...

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I kept count for last week, I used 27 plastic shopping bags.

5 large plastic garbage bags

8 small plastic garbage bags

3 plastic sandwich bags

6 large plastic freezer bags

Old 02-16-2011, 03:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Whoops, there's another member w/ a similar screen name. I got you two confused. No wonder In MD, I think all of our municipalities offer free recycling. No it's not free, of course, there are businesses and employees who are paid to transport the items.

I guess that's why you didn't get my Serial Mom, joke. LOL But I guess John Waters is famous nation-wide...

Is recycling not available in your area, or do you just choose not to recycle?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Whoops, there's another member w/ a similar screen name. I got you two confused. No wonder In MD, I think all of our municipalities offer free recycling. No it's not free, of course, there are businesses and employees who are paid to transport the items.

I guess that's why you didn't get my Serial Mom, joke. LOL But I guess John Waters is famous nation-wide...

Is recycling not available in your area, or do you just choose not to recycle?
It varies across the country. Some places, like Cincinnati, offer totally free recycling (by paying a private contractor to do it), others pass the cost along to the consumer by having trash pick up (including recycling) paid directly by the homeowner. And, of course, some places do not do anything other than to provide a drop off point for aluminum cans.

People say that if the aluminum cans are dropped off, it doesn't cost the community anything (other than the gas, oil, auto expense and consumer time for the drop off). I don't believe it and have asked for an example of self sustaing aluminum recycling for consumer cans. I say, show me one.

There is no place in the US where recycling of a broad spectrum of recyclables is self sustaining. So, it consumes resources.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Check your city's budget. You will see an niice big allocation for recycling services. Sorry, nice try.
yes, my city pays for the collection of garbage and recycling. what's your point? should i have to take recycling to the center myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living