Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,391,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Because the "green Movement" already has me using a plunger on my inadequate toilet, squinting to see in public buildings, driving behind a bunch of roller skates on teh highway and paying most of my income in taxes to support the green nonsense.
maybe you should see a GI doctor and an eye doctor?

i don't use my plunger much at all, and my sight in buildings has been fine. lol

a lot of your income taxes are going to subsidize oil and farming as well. much more than subsidizing any green initiatives.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

229 posts, read 439,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Imagine in Palm Springs California where the temperature goes to 112 degrees, I did not see one clothesline outside. People would rather waste electric than hang clothes out in the back yard....112 degrees, gimme a break, don't be so dumb and lazy, hang the damn clothes out.
I wonder if Palm Springs is one of those communities that have laws against clothes lines? So many of them do anymore. If it isn't the community at large, the Home Owners Associations have rules that must be followed.

If you drive through my community you won't see my clothes line either. It's inside the eight foot tall fence.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Because i am in a office for 8 hours a day, i have nothing but time to waste and I go into all the topics on this board and many othere.
that is why i can write on green living, which i dont believe in anyway.

because if they really wanter everyone to go green, green products would be cheap instead of more money, and EVERYONE would have a clothesline, and they would not be banned from HOA, and other types of buildings.

Imagine in Palm Springs California where the temperature goes to 112 degrees, I did not see one clothesline outside. People would rather waste electric than hang clothes out in the back yard....112 degrees, gimme a break, don't be so dumb and lazy, hang the damn clothes out.
fair points. maybe you're employer should lay you off since you have so much extra free time though. haha. just messing my friend.

i've got a clothes line and I have a gas dryer. no one is saying be 100% green, but we try to do what we can to do better. in NJ in february, clothes line doesn't help me much. haha. but yeah, some people are more worried about how their yard looks than being able to hang their sheets for a nice fresh dry.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,669,078 times
Green is such a broad term that many confuse living green with living Grizzly Adams. You also have many degree of green from those that try and reduce the amount of waste they generate to those that eat berries from bushes along the road and wear hand made cloths of used burlap bags and wipe their butt with leaves from trees. Just like in politics and religion you have those that strive to be good stewards of the planet and those that are so rabid they will try and have you crucifed for not recylcing your own poop into organic muffins.

The green movement is a great thing for us today and for generations to come, but like all things, it's ruined by the fanatics that forces many moderate and practical green movement people to throw up their hands and abandon the effort because nothing they will do will ever be good enough for the lunitic fringe green movement. You also have the "bandwagon" greens who will waste and pollute but buy recycled cork flooring because they like the look and feel but stand on their pedestal and make it seem that the green of the flooring was their reason for buying it.

So, to say the green movenmt is this or that is like sayiing ALL americans are this or that, or all whites are this or that, or all catholics are this or that. way to broad a statement to cover a concept as big as the planet itself.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Green is such a broad term that many confuse living green with living Grizzly Adams. You also have many degree of green from those that try and reduce the amount of waste they generate to those that eat berries from bushes along the road and wear hand made cloths of used burlap bags and wipe their butt with leaves from trees. Just like in politics and religion you have those that strive to be good stewards of the planet and those that are so rabid they will try and have you crucifed for not recylcing your own poop into organic muffins.

The green movement is a great thing for us today and for generations to come, but like all things, it's ruined by the fanatics that forces many moderate and practical green movement people to throw up their hands and abandon the effort because nothing they will do will ever be good enough for the lunitic fringe green movement. You also have the "bandwagon" greens who will waste and pollute but buy recycled cork flooring because they like the look and feel but stand on their pedestal and make it seem that the green of the flooring was their reason for buying it.

So, to say the green movenmt is this or that is like sayiing ALL americans are this or that, or all whites are this or that, or all catholics are this or that. way to broad a statement to cover a concept as big as the planet itself.
mmmm. organic poop muffins. sign me up!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM

18,457 posts, read 31,604,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I wonder if Palm Springs is one of those communities that have laws against clothes lines? So many of them do anymore. If it isn't the community at large, the Home Owners Associations have rules that must be followed.

If you drive through my community you won't see my clothes line either. It's inside the eight foot tall fence.

Love you !!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,174,457 times
Randy, to say that greens want lower gasoline prices is exactly wrong. We need to tax the hell out of gasoline for infrastructure projects and improved urban planning. The dead weight loss would be borne by middle eastern oil producers and the difference would go to the deeply indebted US government. Higher prices would encourage punlic transit use, bicycling, car pooling, and several other pollution reducing activities. It would discourage unsustainable and land intensive exurban settlement patterns and encourage more dense infill development closer to jobs which would reduce commute times and traffic. It would also reduce the trade deficit while encouraging technological innovation on the use of bio-fuels, electrification of the auto fleet, and fuel economy. All the while increasing our gdp/energy consumption ratio.

More expensive gasoline is about the most intelligent green policy you could implement

Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 PM

371 posts, read 392,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Randy,
First of all, your listing of what is "green" is incorrect. "Green" means quit trashing the planet. The largest piece of that pie is we should start using renewable energy, because we are going to run out of oil in 50 years.
Here we have absolute denial. The largest piece of the pie is population size. Without addressing that all other actions are wiped out. Yes, if people conserve during infinite population growth the inevitable will come 10-20 years later.

In the next 40 years America's population will increase 30%. That means if per capita consumption/pollution/whatever environmental measure you use doesn't decrease by 30% things will have gotten worse.

Quote:
I might add that being green is bipartisan, that is, Republicans, Democrats and Independents are all capable of understanding that our waters are polluted, our air is filled with CO2 from car and manufacturing emissions, our landfills are filled with stuff that will never biodegrade, and rain forests are cut down with no regard to the wildlife pushed to the margins. The differences are how to go about resolving these issues and how seriously to take them.
Actually the green issue is 100% politics. The question people ask is "What can I do that's "green" but still within my political ideology?" The fact that so many people place politics first shows how seriously most people consider these issues.

Quote:
Now, as it turns out, our President Barack Obama with the support of the Democratic Party encourages "green" attitudes in our country. Among other things, this will set the framework from which America can continue to thrive even though we will run out of oil.
Here are a couple websites that further explain my points:
Top Back to Basics Tips - How to Go Green
Rush Holt on Energy Policy, Barack Obama and John Holdren - NYTimes.com
There are your partisan hack statements "Obama with support of dem's". Here's one- Obama with the support of democrats wants to give amnesty to 15 million people and set up a program to reunite them with their families" I think boosting the population by 20-30 million people is far more damaging than anything else that can be done.
And since Obama took office per capita CO2 production rates has GONE UP!

The first link provided some good tips. But, in the end you can embrace all things green and make no progress if you ignore population growth.

The second link was almost devoid of f any value. It essentially said Obama is awesome, but so many people don't share his vision and that's why he has a difficult path ahead. Obama wants to double "alternative energy production" which should be simple. Currently 2.4% of our energy comes from biomass, solar, wind and geothermal. Shouldn't be hard to double that. Of course our population will grow over 3% during that time, so we'll need more coal plants to offset the difference.

I rely more on results than failed plans.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:00 PM

371 posts, read 392,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'll also bite just for the heck of it:..........
Let me make this a little easier to get to the point to avoid any confusion:

Just a series of yes/no questions:

Would you support the reducing of immigration to 5,000 people a year?

Would you support stripping illegals of all rights and deporting them when they are found?

(those two would significantly reduce our population growth and size in the next 5 year)

Would you support mandating birth control use for welfare recipients?

Would you support a program that gives women small amounts of cash (~$100/year) for going on long term birth control such as IUD's, depo provera or norplant?

Is the US overpopulated?

Would you support a federal law mandating anyone convicted of felonies on 3 separate occasions will be put in prison for life with no chance of parole?

Would you support a federal law mandating anyone convicted of violent felonies on 2 separate occasions will be put in prison for life with no chance of parole?

There, no assumption Just simple yes/no questions.

So eco people, let's here so glorious answers (I'd say yes to them all).

(BTW I appreciate you responding Bradykp)

Last edited by randy8876; 02-09-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM

229 posts, read 439,481 times
Of course there need be no assumptions. You have already told us that the only correct answer to these questions is "Yes, just like randy8876".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.