Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

Seems that we have returned to the 1970s?

Back then there was a big green movment, though it wasn't called that.

There was an interest in cycling as an alternative form of transportation, including some early bike paths being built.

There was a revival of interest in public transit and the early proposals for "light rail" in some cities.

There was also an interest in solar energy and other alternative forms of of energy, energy conservation and conservation in general, community gardening and organic foods, etc. There was also an interest in urban conservation..restoring old houses and neighborhoods, and recycling things. Recycling became big then.

A lot of this came out of the "ecology" movement that surfaced in the late 1960s into 1970, and also a bit out of the 1960s counterculture, the more self-reliant/self-sufficient aspects of it, such as the back-to-the-land movement and the "Whole Earth Catalogue" people.

One of the results of this was in policy..the big environmental legislation came out of it (like the Endangered Species Act, the law that set up the EPA, and so forth).

But this was also a cultural movement as well as a political movement, probably mostly cultural and life-style oriented...with publications like Whole Earth Review, Rain, Mother Earth News, etc...and a renewed interest even in certain types of acoustic music, like bluegrass and pre-bluegrass folk music, perhaps riffing on the interest in being unplugged and living off the grid.

This all seemed to lose speed in the very late 1970s and then disappeared from the media in the 1980s and into the 1990s, it seems.

So, interesting to see this make a comeback. Anyone here old enough to remember that first Green movement back in the 1970s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM

229 posts, read 439,641 times
I am old enough to remember. Hubby and I built a soda can coffee table for our home and seating from plywood sheets. We were living in a foreign country at the time; couldn't afford new, couldn't find used.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
It never stopped in some areas.

The hippys of the 70's formed an Organic Farming group here, eventually they became the state's Organic Certifying agency. I know farmers who sell at Farmers Markets here that have been going at it since the 70's and 80's.

I am a member of mofga.com (http://www.MOFGA.com - broken link) and market organic produce.

With the recent growth we have seen in vendors and Farmers Markets; I think that the green movement is bigger now than it was in the 70s.

A lot of people are diving into small-scale off-grid organic sustainable living and food production.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We never stopped doing it either. I don't know why anyone stopped but it's good to see it starting up again. (The Mother Earth News--I used to subscribe to it, loved that magazine.)

Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
I think things were cooking off-the-radar after the 1970s, as you all note, but it seemed more visible back in the 1970s. I think cycling seems to have made a big comeback, as has community gardening, which is called "urban agriculture" now (though i think this is slightly different than the old community garden movement).

Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM

229 posts, read 439,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We never stopped doing it either. I don't know why anyone stopped but it's good to see it starting up again. (The Mother Earth News--I used to subscribe to it, loved that magazine.)
I was able to attend the Mother Earth News Fair last year in PA. What a fantastic experience it was for me. Thousands of people with an interest in being stewards to the earth; wonderful feelings of hope and assurance were in the air, IMO.

This year there will be Green Festivals in several different locations. This is not the same as the event I attended last year, but is a full page in the recent M.E.N. hard copy magazine:
San Francisco, April 9-10
Chicago May 14-15
Seattle May 21-22
New York Oct. 1-2
Los Angeles Oct. 29-30
San Francisco Nov. 12-13
Green Festival - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living